Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Josh Byrnes Trade Profile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Josh Byrnes Trade Profile Reply with quote

Analysis from MLB Trade Rumors.

If anything, I'd say that this overview, while quite positive, still underrates what Byrnes has done, particularly since it doesn't factor in payroll considerations. Looking over the deals, it's hard not to notice the fact that the moves tend to make sense in organizational terms larger than just "winning" an isolated transaction. Perhaps the most interesting thing is how often Byrnes has traded for a veteran coming off a down year due to injury as of late. (Could this be the latest and greatest Market Inefficiency™?)
dbacks08
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I agree Byrnes loses that ATL trade. Especially considering what we got from Milwaukee in return for Estrada.

And he said CWS got a small victory by getting Alex Cintron. Yah, ok. Rolling Eyes
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His first deal was to send a couple of relievers to the Braves for catcher Johnny Estrada in December of 2005. Estrada had a respectable, resurgent year for the Diamondbacks in '06, but Oscar Villarreal gave the Braves 90 solid innings. Lance Cormier was less impressive but may earn a rotation spot this year once healthy. John Schuerholz may have won this one, slightly. Estrada was one of many players that Byrnes traded for and then traded away the following year.

This is bullshit. The fact that Ponce was traded has nothing to do with who won the trade. However, if you want to base it solely on 2006, would you rather have:

A catcher that hits over .300 with 72 RBI or 92 IP @ 122 ERA+ and 73 IP at 90 ERA+?

Robert S. wrote:
(Could this be the latest and greatest Market Inefficiency™?)

Perhaps, but if you want to go that route you'll end up getting burned a few times.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks08 wrote:
Not sure I agree Byrnes loses that ATL trade. Especially considering what we got from Milwaukee in return for Estrada.

And he said CWS got a small victory by getting Alex Cintron. Yah, ok. Rolling Eyes

Well, Cintron has certainly been more useful to them than Bajenaru has been for us.
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with the blogger at the end. I think Byrnes goes out and gets the #4 hitter this team could use, but it'll be interesting to see if he sells the farm.

Considering his past trades, I doubt he will.
B. O. N. D.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if ARI is "in the thick of things" come July, why would they need to go out and get a big bat? Confused

Out of curiosity though, what team come July will be out of it enough to trade away their killer bat? And who would that be bat be? And where would ARI put him? And who would ARI give up?

The OF is stocked/stacked, as is the middle infield... that leaves the corner infield, Tracy and Jackson. Sooooo...

I think the abilities of our whole line-up to hit, to get on base, top to bottom, mitigates any need for that "big bat". And it's not like we're lacking power...

In the Big Inning, God
Created the Diamondbacks
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep saying the same thing.

You don't need a "#4 hitter"

The 98 Yankees didn't have one guy who hit over 30 homers, but had like 7 or 8 who hit between 18-28 homers. This team can do the same thing...(homer wise...not winning 114 games of course)
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same junk we here everywhere. "There isn't a player that strikes fear into opposing pitchers"

It's BS.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Arizona's in the thick of the playoff hunt come July (say 3 games), I think they're going to get there. This team will be better in the second half.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is a 4 hitter that would be available, much less that is worth giving up young talent for?

I was thinking rolen, because he could maybe be gotten for less talent - (seems to be in decline, wasnt happy last year, big paycheck)... But is that even a help to this club?
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:
This team will be better in the second half.

Why do you say that?
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
Robert S. wrote:
This team will be better in the second half.

Why do you say that?

Because generally Young players tend to improve and get better as they get more playing time and experience. A good example is the Oakland A's, who frequently have a fairly young roster, and often start out slow but gather steam and then get hot in the second half. Another example is last years Florida Marlins.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Who is a 4 hitter that would be available, much less that is worth giving up young talent for?

I was thinking rolen, because he could maybe be gotten for less talent - (seems to be in decline, wasnt happy last year, big paycheck)... But is that even a help to this club?

Morgan Ensberg would be cheap. I think J. Byrnes was looking at him in the offseason. Plus he was hurt last year, goes along with the trend or whatever.

However, i think the best move would be to sit on what you got. This lineup won't have a problem scoring runs.
SalMaglie
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they left out one factor on the Javier Vazquez deal. The Diamondbacks HAD to trade Vazquez since he demanded a trade under the terms of his contract, which diminished his trade value. The fact that Byrnes pried Chris Young away from the White Sox was a steal.

You just can't go down the line and not factor in payroll implications anymore when talking about trades in this day and age. That aspect has changed the way players are valued in the last few years.

I thought maybe letting Oscar Villarreal go in that trade might come back to bite them, but then I've always been a fan of his since I saw him pitch a couple of innings in an Sidewinders emergency callup when he was 18 and pitching in the Arizona Rookie League. Brenly absolutely abused him in 2003 by putting him in for close to 90 games, and it's taken awhile for his arm to recover. It's good to see the damage didn't end his career.
dbacks08
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
dbacks08 wrote:

Well, Cintron has certainly been more useful to them than Bajenaru has been for us.

I guess our definitions of useful are different, then.

Paying a utility player 1.6 million to put up a 79 OPS+ with most likely average-below average defense (didnt watch Cintron in the field last year, basing what I saw from him when he was here) is not what I would consider useful.

Saving the million in cash for a team on a budget and gaining an extra spot on the 25 man is more useful than having Alex Cintron.

I don't think McClane is anything special, but I believe Byrnes won that trade with the Mets simply by addition by subtraction. Same with Cintron.
Dylan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I keep saying the same thing.

You don't need a "#4 hitter"

The 98 Yankees didn't have one guy who hit over 30 homers, but had like 7 or 8 who hit between 18-28 homers. This team can do the same thing...(homer wise...not winning 114 games of course)

Curse of the Balboni....

In 1985, the Royals won the WS with Steve Balboni on their team slugging 36 HRs. From 1986 to 2000, not a single team with a player hitting more than 36 HRs won the WS.

The record of teams in the playoffs with a player hitting 36 vs a team without a player hitting 36 was 4-23 from 1986 to 2000.
dbackfanron
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me, the last two big bats the Dbacks acquired were Sexson and Glaus. With a track record like that, I hope they stand pat.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
If memory serves me, the last two big bats the Dbacks acquired were Sexson and Glaus. With a track record like that, I hope they stand pat.

Byrnes had nothing to do with either of them... (except getting rid of glaus of course)
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any obvious positions in need of an upgrade. They're all kinda set. LF seems like the only position with flexibility, and that will be set after this year. Maybe we could get a decent deal for a 1-yr rental before CarGon is ready.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glaus worked out pretty good in that we were able to trade him the next year for Batista and ODog.

I'd say a definite net gain on that acquisition <even though it wasn't via trade>.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
I don't see any obvious positions in need of an upgrade. They're all kinda set. LF seems like the only position with flexibility, and that will be set after this year. Maybe we could get a decent deal for a 1-yr rental before CarGon is ready.

What LFer is out there that would be an upgrade from Hairston / Byrnes?
Counsell
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The need to have big homer hitting #4 hitter is a total myth. People remember Greenberg, Kiner, Killebrew, etc. If your #4 hitter is one of those guys, then, of course, you're in GREAT shape!

But usually they're more like Dave Kingman or Rob Deer, and their home runs don't compensate for their poor speed, poor fielding and/or many strikeouts.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

What LFer is out there that would be an upgrade from Hairston / Byrnes?

Manny Ramirez.

If there's ONE difference maker on the market (presumably) that would be a real UPGRADE in left field, it's Manny.

The only way the Sox trade him mid-season, however, is if they are out of the wild card and AL east races. Unlikely.

That being said, I believe that once Q comes back, the Dbacks are going to have as good of 4 outfielders in CY, CQ, SH and EB as ANY team in the league. Add in DaVanon as the 5th guy, and the OF will be very solid...
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love Manny...we share first names....but i don't like being called manny

his career .300/.400/.600 is kind of impressive too
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. There might not be obvious points of strength in our lineup, but there are no points of weakness. Pretty much eliminates any positions where we could gain a serious net upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: