Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Diamondbacks meet with Mark Mulder, likely headed to Arizona
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with the flying gonzalez brothers, nippert, and owings is that to the best of my knowledge, they don't really profile as more than back of the rotation starters -- at least, that's what i've heard. i'm not 100% sold on it -- if owings can get his offspeed stuff to work, if edgar can work on getting more lethal break to his stuff, if nippert can get his goofy ass body to work together -- then i think these are more than 4 or 5 guys.

but those are all big big ifs.

IMO, that's why there's so much interest in the kid that oakland's dangling (i doubt a deal gets done, but teams are salivating over him). he's young, he's cheap, and he profiles to be pretty good.

our guys are 2 outta 3. and a lot of organizations have #4 and #5 guys coming out the wazoo. nobody has good young pitching.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. Just throwing it out there. It seems to work best going against the stream.

So if we have have the back end (4 & 5) spots filled, then why are we going after Mulder? He's not a top-half of the rotation guy anymore. We lose Davis and Livan after '07, but will probably retain Davis, leaving us with our #'s 1, 2 or 3, 4, & 5 full for '08. We could lose Livan and apply that $6M or so towards the impact #2, pushing Davis down to #3, for a really solid rotation.

Just seems like Mulder is only being considered because he's the best deal out there right now, but that might not be the case next year, and certainly not the year after.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Quote:
The remaining 29 GMs certainly have no clue that those 25 and under arms are entering their prime production. Better rip them off before they wake up. And while we're at it, Eric Byrnes for Frankie Liriano and Matt Garza.

Forgot about Cashman. Make it the other 28 GM's. And seriously, if you're going to be as sarcastic as that, at least add some humor.

But if pitching is so valuable right now, why don't we move some of ours for positional talent, like maybe another 3B? Only suggesting it because of buy lo/sell hi, and that we could rake somebody over the coals for a good young pitcher.

I wasn't sarcastic. that's just how I talk. and I am not a funny man, jenny.

we don't have that much depth at pitching... but, mind you, i don't mind moving someone like enrique or even nippert to upgrade at 3b, if that's what jb wants to do. i do think that the dbacks will give tracy another shot at 3b before trading him out to a team looking for 1b help
B. O. N. D.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mark Mulder-S- Cardinals Dec. 21 - 11:48 am et

Mark Mulder's agent, Gregg Clifton, said he sent a counterproposal to Rangers GM Jon Daniels on Monday and that Texas is still very much in the mix for the left-hander.
Clifton said the Indians and Cardinals have stepped up their interest lately, with back-and-forth proposals and plenty of dialogue. Clifton has also sent the Diamondbacks a counterproposal and as of Wednesday was waiting to hear back from them. The Padres may have backed off Mulder a bit in favor of David Wells.
Source: Dallas Morning News

EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Quote:
Mark Mulder-S- Cardinals Dec. 21 - 11:48 am et

Mark Mulder's agent, Gregg Clifton, said he sent a counterproposal to Rangers GM Jon Daniels on Monday and that Texas is still very much in the mix for the left-hander.
Clifton said the Indians and Cardinals have stepped up their interest lately, with back-and-forth proposals and plenty of dialogue. Clifton has also sent the Diamondbacks a counterproposal and as of Wednesday was waiting to hear back from them. The Padres may have backed off Mulder a bit in favor of David Wells.
Source: Dallas Morning News

Just say, "No."
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifton is so hard to deal with...

tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thttp://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=81022he Diamondbacks won't be signing Mulder:
Prezkot
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this stage it was best for both parties to turn each other down. Mulder would've been a good option for a cheap price, but if the Rangers & Indians are desperate to overpay him, let them.

Great Tony Clifton picture btw, Oden. Laughing
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By Jack Magruder, Tribune
December 22, 2006
Mark Mulder is out of the country, and the Diamondbacks are long gone, too. The D-Backs no longer are among the finalists to sign free agent Mulder, sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations said Wednesday.

Related Links
Sports
Arizona Diamondbacks / MLB

Texas, Cleveland and St. Louis appear to have become the front-runners to add Mulder, a Valley resident who is honeymooning in Tahiti after being wed here Saturday.

While the D-Backs have at least $10 million to spend this offseason, they did not appear comfortable committing a portion of that to Mulder because of the uncertainty of his return to the mound.

Mulder underwent shoulder surgery Sept. 12 and will begin a throwing program Jan. 1. Agent Gregg Clifton has been telling teams they can expect Mulder to make between 20 and 25 starts this season.

The D-Backs make it a policy not to discuss contract negotiations.

The D-Backs’ offer to Mulder 10 days ago was believed to have included a $1 million base salary with the opportunity to reach $2.5 million through incentives in 2007. It also included four option years.

Texas and Cleveland have offered two-year deals, according to published reports, a length that Mulder is willing to accept.

Mulder’s camp did not make a counter proposal to the D-Backs’ offer, contrary to a published report in Dallas, although it has made counter offers to Texas and Cleveland.

Now that Mulder is off the table, the D-Backs will turn their focus to adding another starter and a reliever through trades, their most likely path all along.

They already have acquired left-handers Doug Davis and Dana Eveland in the Johnny Estrada six-player deal with Milwaukee.

Im sorry... but $1m??? We could have bumped it up a little... im pretty disapointed in that...

The overall premise of letting another team overpay - fine - but Even Tony Clark is getting 1M....
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll shed no tears here.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, has anyone seen Allstar? Better keep an eye on him, and hide any sharp objects......Poor kid, he seemed very emotionally invested in getting Mulder.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

Im sorry... but $1m??? We could have bumped it up a little... im pretty disapointed in that...

The overall premise of letting another team overpay - fine - but Even Tony Clark is getting 1M....

$1m sounds about right for the 98 IP and 6.23 ERA that Mulder will produce in 2007
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

$1m sounds about right for the 98 IP and 6.23 ERA that Mulder will produce in 2007

Time will tell... i vote for the under (Era) on that line... but im just a guy sitting at a desk... JB must agree with you...
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even less important than a guy sitting at a desk. I'm a guy sitting at a desk drinking a cup of nasty coffee. I don't even know how to spell the word "baseball." Having said that, I am glad the Diamondbacks did not sign Mulder. The risk wasn't worth the potential reward at the price his agent wanted.
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

I agree. I was not happy about the idea of paying Mulder $4M to pitch half a season coming off of major surgery.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
levski wrote:

Time will tell... i vote for the under (Era) on that line... but im just a guy sitting at a desk... JB must agree with you...

I'm not sure the team that signs Mulder will get more from him than the Red Sox and Cubs got from Wade Miller over the last couple of years
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade Miller is a good comp. Writers like to mention Clemens but he is by far the exception to this type of surgery.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Truth is out there.....cue the theme music
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram believes that free agent Mark Mulder has narrowed his choices to Texas and St. Louis.
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram
allstar
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Present Reply with quote

Shoewizard, thanks for the concerens Very Happy .
It's true I've been fed up with this guy because I wanted to see this
team doing something. Oh, well. I hope they still have some plans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: