Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Former schoolmate elected to HOF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Former schoolmate elected to HOF Reply with quote

My high school alumni newsletter just landed in my box, and the following article struck me. I did know this guy--he graduated a couple years before I did and we were in band together.

I didn't even realize that someone I knew was one of the Cardinals regular beat writers either... but now he's heading to Cooperstown!

Quote:
Source: Quincy Herald-Whig
Author: Matt Schuckman

By Matt Schuckman

Herald-Whig Sports Writer

Three days had passed since Rick Hummel learned he was receiving the J.G. Taylor Spink Award, and still his phone kept ringing.

"It's tapered off a little bit," Hummel said on Saturday.

About then, a phone started ringing in the background.

"I'm overwhelmed by it," Hummel said.

By both the honor and the attention.

"It's been covered more than it should be," Hummel said.

The 60-year-old Hummel, a 1964 graduate of Quincy High School and member of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports staff since 1971, will join a legendary list of journalists honored in the "Scribes and Mikemen" wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame next summer when he officially receives the Spink Award.

The honor has been given annually since 1962 to a journalist or writer by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, and the list of winners includes notable names like Grantland Rice, Ring Lardner, Bob Broeg and Peter Gammons.

"C'mon," said the humble Hummel, who will be honored during the July 29 induction ceremonies in Cooperstown, N.Y. "To be in the same sentence with that group is amazing."

And well deserved.

Hummel, a 1968 graduate of the University of Missouri and a former Pulitzer Prize nominee, began covering the St. Louis Cardinals in 1973 and spent 24 seasons as the primary beat writer. He became the paper's national baseball columnist five years ago.

"This sort of validates whatever I did, I did it the right way," Hummel said.

The response he has received confirms it.

Hummel estimated he received 100 phone calls and 200 e-mails after the honor was announced last Wednesday morning. The Post-Dispatch sports office fielded another 25 or 30 calls, and the newspaper held a reception for him last Friday.

"They wouldn't stop applauding," Hummel said. "A sports writer shouldn't be treated like this."

The funny thing is Hummel never planned to be a sports writer.

"I wanted to be a broadcaster," Hummel said.

Introduced to Mel and El Tappe as a kid, Hummel assisted them with WGEM's broadcasts of Quincy High School basketball as a stat keeper and maintained the notion he would become a broadcaster himself until he took driver's education at QHS with Mel as the instructor.

"He told me all these jobs are going to go to ex-athletes," Hummel said. "Imagine him recognizing that back then. But he said, 'You ought to try to be a sports writer.'"

So Hummel gave writing a chance. He attended Quincy College for two years, did some work at the student radio station and wrote for the school's weekly newspaper.

One problem. He didn't know how to type.

"My mother worked for one of the railroads and did some professional typing on the side," Hummel said. "I would write it out long hand and Mom would type it."

He decided to take a typing class his sophomore year.

"I needed to learn," Hummel said.

It changed his career path.

It's taken him to the Hall of Fame.
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to school w/ a famous actor. only it was so long ago & i'm so old i can't think of his name!!!!!!! oh, Lord.... lottsa violent karate type movies...he's put on a lot of weight... oh, brother...
Prezkot
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altho he was about 2 yrs ahead of me I went to the same middle/jr/high school as former UA/current Broncos RB Mike Bell...
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven segal! sheesh! buena park high near knotts berry farm! i am getting so old...
nystro
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1golfer1 wrote:
lottsa violent karate type movies...he's put on a lot of weight...

Steven Seagal?
XB3
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to school with two future murderers. Sadly, neither made the reunion.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to school with Chris Duncan, Brian Anderson, Scott Hairston, Ian Kinsler, Colin Porter, ... there's few more that have played mlb that I can't think of right now. We have no nfl or nba players, although a classmate was the Suns practice roster at the beginning of the year. he even got in a game and scored a few.

My dad went to Rincon HS in Tucson with Pat Darcy, the pitcher who gave up Fisk's Game 6 HR.
csktech
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XB3 wrote:
I went to school with two future murderers. Sadly, neither made the reunion.

LOL and I was gonna add that I went to school with a bank robber that made the FBI's Most wanted list.. and heres the funny thing. He played baseball at ASU and lost his scholarship and position to.. drumroll please... Barry Bonds.

I finally remembered his name Craig Pritchard.

its a very small world out there.
Kyle
Go Dbacks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: