Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The OFFICIAL Unofficial D-Backs Offseason FA/Trade Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:

In the great Gonzalez debate, I'd vote for 'rique over Edgar but that's just my opinion. I like 'rique's stuff more so than Edgar's and feel that he has a higher ceiling.

We'll just agree to disagree. Enrique's ceiling, in my mind, is that of a pretty effective setup reliever. His stuff, while impressive to the untrained eye, isn't much more than a fairly straight (if fairly fast) fastball, and an average slider. He doesn't have a solid third pitch, and he doesn't go deep in games.

Edgar, if his mind is in the game, is the much more effective starter. Trust me. Or not. Your choice. Doesn't affect ME at all.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
As a result of that, they will likely carry at least one more position player.

Solid starter's top to bottom definitely gives us more flexibility.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Too many recall Edgar's pre-mature call-up when he was just a baby

So true. If people hadn't seen him thrown to the wolves by Pedrique in 04 they would have an entirely different opinion of him right now. It was a completley different guy out there. He looked very confident out there.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
His stuff, while impressive to the untrained eye, isn't much more than a fairly straight (if fairly fast) fastball, and an average slider.

To me he seemed to tire as the season wore on and his pitches did have less movement than they did earlier in the season. If he can build his stamina I think he'll be ok.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
We'll just agree to disagree. Enrique's ceiling, in my mind, is that of a pretty effective setup reliever. His stuff, while impressive to the untrained eye, isn't much more than a fairly straight (if fairly fast) fastball, and an average slider. He doesn't have a solid third pitch, and he doesn't go deep in games.

Edgar, if his mind is in the game, is the much more effective starter. Trust me. Or not. Your choice. Doesn't affect ME at all.

i think you're underestimating enrique. true, his later starts had a pretty straight hittable fastball. but i remember watching his first couple starts, and he could pound this sinker down and in -- it was just a thing of beauty. sharp late break, a little bit of bite to it. serious change in direction -- it looked like it rolled off a table. but after the first few starts, it started staying up more and more, straighter and straighter.

i like edgar's potential for 2007 a lot more than enrique's potential for 2007, but if i had to pick one for 2009 or 2010, i'd pick enrique. in a heartbeat.

sorry, had to stick up for my enrique fetish.

that said, i also agree that a lot of people are shortchanging edgar. i really like his approach. i don't see any of his pitches as really above average, but he has an ass-load of pitches he can throw for strikes. and he sticks to the basic approach in games -- start with your fastball, work in about 1 new pitch per inning, so as hitters get a better look at the FB, you can still keep them more and more offbalance -- but it works for him.

i've blocked out edgar's 2004 entirely. he's just not the same pitcher out there. but i prefer enrique's stuff -- it just has a nice sink to it.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some numbers from baseball cube (since they are numbers if someone wants to check me, please do).

Edgar is 6'2" 213 lbs, born Feb 1983.

Enrique is 5'11" 195 born July 1982

Age (babrely) and body type to Edgar

Edgar has piched 739 minor league innings with 519 k's 166w a 3.13 ratio and 6.31 k/9ip

Enriques has pitched 781 inning for a 634/275 (2.30) and 7.3k/9ip.

Pretty close but I like the difference in ration over the difference in k/ip. Alos Edgar's ip were about 209 below AAA. Enrique's had about 64 ip in AAA, that is 717 of his ip's were below AAA.

I was very impressed with Enrique's mound presence when he came up and it may be that he has "learned to pitch". Still I would have to go with Edgar at this stage as the better bet based on just the numbers, but there is no reason to choose now. Let's see what the spring brings.
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, why not stick Cruz in the pen and let them both start. They are both good bets for 180 IP at about league average
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the great thing about our situation next year. We've got 2 open slots in the rotation, sans Mulder.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fun, let's throw Eveland into the mix.

Dana is listed a baseball cube as being born October 1983 (younger than either EG). He listed at 6'1" 220 lbs (oh would it be so!).

His minor league numbers are 381 ip 382k 115w 3.32 ratio and 9.02 k/9.

105 of those inings are AAA where he was 110/41 2.68 9.43/9ip

If he were 6'3" 220, I would be really excited, but then the Brewers wouldn't have traded him. So I am merely excited.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'1", 220? i've been hearing 6' 250... but is the weight a new addition? because he has a rock solid track record in the minor leagues, and he's still very, very young. if he's always been a big boy, hey, don't fix what ain't broke, you know? if he just ballooned up, let's start telling him russ ortiz spooky stories. that'll scare him off the snacks.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'1" 260 was what I had heard. Hence my "(oh would it be so!)" comment. If Eveland was even 6'1" 220 I would be more excited. The problem is that he has put on weight. He is just 23. The Brewers I think were on him about it and he didn't change.

Even though that study we posted a while ago showed fat pitchers last longer, I'm not sure this fat. David Wells, Mickey Lolich who else was a top starter or even a 3 starter with this kind of weight. Maybe more important there is likely not going to be any good growth here. You have a 23 year old at 200 or even 210 and maybe he can put of 10 pounds and add a foot to his fb. Eveland has no place to go, at least in a positive direction.

Unlike Ceasar, I would go with the lean and hungry look in my pitchers.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
6'1" 260 was what I had heard. Hence my "(oh would it be so!)" comment. If Eveland was even 6'1" 220 I would be more excited. The problem is that he has put on weight. He is just 23. The Brewers I think were on him about it and he didn't change.

Dana and Prince were putting the Brewers' team plane over its weight bearing capacity, so one of them had to go.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, cc sabathia's another fatboy pitcher.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabathia ia fat ass, but he is a tall fat ass. Listed at 6'7"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sabatc.01.shtml
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Bartolo
Prezkot
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Ortiz.

Nuff said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: