Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gonzo did an excellent job in his press conference.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think there was any reason to expect Gonzo to say something like that. It didn't bother me at all.
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I didn't think there was any reason to expect Gonzo to say something like that. It didn't bother me at all.

He's obviously upset now, but this organization has gone above and beyond for him.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but neither party owes the other a damn thing.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

Expect it? No. I agree he had no compelling reason to do so.

Hope for it? Yes. A statement from Gonzo to his fans asking them to continue their support of the Diamondbacks would have been an absolutely top-notch thing to do; and would have given him the "moral high ground" in the debate. It would have cost him absolutely nothing to have done so; and would have left the owners of the Diamondbacks in his debt for some future position with the team. (Yes, of course, the door for that is already open; but a move to urge his fans to continue to buy season's tickets might very well change the dollar figure of any future contract he may sign with the team.

In fact, it's not too late for Gonzo to take such a step, and reach out to those who have been alienated from the team because of the decision not to bring him back.
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Yes, but neither party owes the other a damn thing.

$10 says Gonzo doesn't refuse Gonzo Appreciation Day or a job with the team once he retires. Deal?
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Robert S. wrote:
I couldn't catch the press conference at work: Did Gonzo make any appeals to fans to continue supporting the D-backs? Something like, "Please don't abandon the team on my account", perhaps?

Yeah,.....that was the one statement that was missing, but considering how flammable this situation is, I'll still good with how he handled.

The closest he came to this was saying something to the effect of when he (Gonzalez) comes to town to play against the D-Backs, he hopes the fans will come out to cheer for the D-Backs or to cheer for the team he's playing for against the D-Backs. Confused
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
Robert S. wrote:
I couldn't catch the press conference at work: Did Gonzo make any appeals to fans to continue supporting the D-backs? Something like, "Please don't abandon the team on my account", perhaps?

Yeah,.....that was the one statement that was missing, but considering how flammable this situation is, I'll still good with how he handled.

The closest he came to this was saying something to the effect of when he (Gonzalez) comes to town to play against the D-Backs, he hopes the fans will come out to cheer for the D-Backs or to cheer for the team he's playing for against the D-Backs. Confused

Which is not the same thing at all.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Excellent summary EJ.

I just want to add that he made all those comments, many in jest, and good naturedly. He also sounded quite choked up, especially early on and had a hard time holding his emotions in check.

I really admire the way he handled this

True that.

Catharsis
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to the post game interviews tonight and Gonzo said something to the effect that baseball will continue in Arizona next season and he started pumping up Eric Byrnes saying he deserves the opportunity he's going to get. It was pretty close to saying "this team is going to be great and the fans will have a lot to cheer for."
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzo was extremely gracious in his post-game interview. He's been a good citizen for the most part.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for last 2 prior years, they've tried getting someone, to complement Gonz. It was Sexson, then Glaus. And that's a major problem when the person, you're bringing in, you're bringing in to actually be the run producer!!!! While at the same time pretending, Gonz is the man. Nowwe all know what happened, one got hurt, the other turned out to be another Gonz. This year they didn't because of Clark's year last year. Gonz's achilles heal, in high energy situations, you could count on him to not get the job done, and get in the way of guys who might.

Gonz, to this day, is still more than capable, if you don't count on him in high energy structure situations. Heck, Jd drew/J. Bay/Arod are similiar. Jeff Kent, Lance Berkman, Cabrera, Jeter, Sheffield, Hafner, you don't want them coming to the plate after a standing 8 count. Now there's a lot of other variables involved too, J. Bay/Glaus/jd drew when they're on streaks, well they're carrying their respective teams, Gonz at 10 mill, still isn't. he's hitting doubles, sure, but I'll keep my ss back and get him to pop out, and hope a hot Estrada won't get up, during a high energy situation. .

Now, there are guys that look like they're going to carry the load, in Jackson/cq.young/drew. Gonz looks like he would be a decent fit. 50 doubles from the 8 hole?The problem, is his presence doesn't allow for the mantle change, it impedes it. Throw in his comments throughout the year, solidifys this stance. I'm not coming out, unaccepable etc.. Its time for change, and if wasn't for Gonz's large personality and presence, he'd probably could still be part of it. Fact is, he just has too much say.

Now, Gonz will go down as the peoples's player, and rightfully so.

Last edited by Dangerfield on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see or hear it and didn't read about it (don't have time), but there are a couple of ways to handle your press conference in that situation. Taking the high road is the best way to go and that's what he did. Good. Still doesn't mean he's a "good guy". It just means he was a good guy yesterday. Far better than not, that's for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: