Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Webb: What Now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shut Webb Down?
Yes, immediately.
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Give him one more start, and see what happens.
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
No opinion; I trust these people.
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Webb: What Now? Reply with quote

It sure seems to be the case that the organization has bungled the Webb situation:

1. Slow to respond to initial arm trouble - "It went away? Fuck precaution. Make your next start."

2. Made the wrong decision/gamble when they finally did act - "It came back? Oh, and mechanics were a mess. Okay, we'll skip one whole start."

3. Failed to correct previous failures - "Mechanics still a problem after time off? We'll give you another start."

4. No control again and velocity's down - "Better leave him in to hit the pre-determined number of pitches."

Unless, of course, anyone believes that Webb's mechanics have been sparkling until he sets foot on the mound for the game, there is a serious problem with the FO & coaches. While I'm curious how much is incompetence/stupidity and how much of this is Fake Contention™, the real question is what to do now? Do you risk Webb's arm on the chance that he'll be okay next time? Does anyone trust these jokers to recognize if he's still unable to pitch like himself, or even act on it if they do?

For a team that's scared to death of giving rookie position players a chance no matter their track record, they are drunken degenerate gamblers with pitcher arms.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sky is falling, the sky is falling...
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivel, drivel . . .
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most important thing after today is how webb feels. not what the results were. not how he looked on the mound. it's how his elbow feels tomorrow.

the snakes sucked a bag of hairy balls at the plate today. i haven't seen such impotence in a four hour span since raffy palmeiro ran out of blue pills...
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb's looked bad and performed bad in four consecutive starts now. His peripherals are out of whack. We know that he's had elbow pain dating back at least a month. If the organization is only concerned about how their pitcher feels, they should give Russ a call . . .

ETA: I have serious doubts about the organizational pitching culture, too.

Last edited by Robert S. on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lev, how he looked on the mound today IS important. i'd kill right now to find out if he was throwing open through the elbow (that's bad mechanics and will catch up to him, soon) vs if he was just really inconsistent in his landing spot (that's more rustiness, and easier to correct).

fucking spent the whole fucking day working on my goddamn truck, though, so i missed it.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccray, that's why you should buy a honda civic

i believe the dbacks are smart enough to shut webb down if the doctors think webb needs to be shut down. a lot of pitchers go through a dead arm period, especially in august.

your conspiracy theories are interesting, robert, but i'm not planning on subscribing to your newsletter just yet.
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of pitchers take a year off after they pitch through elbow pain.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so let's exhaust all generalizations about pitchers then and wait to see how webb feels tomorrow and how he looks next week, if he starts.

get that truck fixed, mccray
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does the team get the benefit of the doubt, then?

This is Webb's fourth season in the majors. He's been as healthy/durable as they come until now. This is the first time I've heard of elbow trouble (I forget why he hit the DL in '03). What specific reasons do I have to trust the organization on this?
therealnod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Jose Valverde's player comment in BP 2006:

Quote:
Diamondback fans have to hope that new pitching coach Bryan Price had nothing to do with the Mariners' well-documented history of destroying young arms.

Hmmm...hmmm...
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the game today but just saw the highlights on Baseball Tonight.

It seemed that the 3 or 4 Rocky hits they showed all of the pitches were up in the zone. Of course they were the highlights so one would expect many of them to be bad pitches.

How did Webby look today??? Velocity, placement, movement etc.

Thanks
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a piece from the U.S.S. Mariner folks. Plenty of discussion there from posters as well.
Catharsis
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the AP Recap:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AjJx4E5FMrbq6SuT3PpHC0E5nYcB?gid=260817127
Quote:

"His sinkers were up in the zone," manager Clint Hurdle said.

Before the game, Hurdle told his team to be patient and stay away from any pitch Webb (13-5) threw that started belt high or lower.

"It wasn't his best, but at times it was back to what we've seen before," manager Bob Melvin said. "There were periods where he was throwing the ball very well. Really and truly, we gave them a few more runs than they had."

Tracy single handedly allowed two unearned runs with another error.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Webb got off to a shaky start; but after a few innings, he seemed to get into a groove, and had some good innings. That sounds very much like what Melvin said: There were periods where he was throwing the ball very well.

I think the coaching staff and FO know that without Webb, we have no pitching; and that they know they must be careful and protect his arm for the long run. I also think Webb, himself, is smart enough to know that, if he's got problems with his arm, he needs to do something about it -- including saying to Melvin and Byrnes, "Put me on the DL." After all, he's not Barbaro...
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He just didn't feel real good from the first," catcher Johnny Estrada said. "His good sinker didn't really show up until the third inning. His velocity is fine. He missed two weeks. I think he just needs to get stretched out and get his confidence back.

"I'm not concerned at all as long as he does not have pain and is feeling strong. He's just struggling with his location."
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. As long as he feels OK we should run him out there to work on whatever he has to in order to get back in form. If he's feeling pain, we shut him down.
charlie
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it isn't as if lack of command is a new thing with Webb, either. This was the factor behind all those walks earlier in his career. Seems to me that Webb is one of those pitchers who has to have his mechanics down 100% in order to be consistantly effective with command. His ball moves so much that command has to be more difficult for him than for a pitcher who depends mostly on a wicked fastball, for instance. And it is just as fatal for him to leave the pitches up as it is for anybody else despite all the sink he has on the ball.

If he ain't hurt, don't worry about it. He'll get it back sooner or later, IMO.
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The command issue was clearly a one-year outlier, though.

If Webb's fine in his next start or two, it will go a long way to establishing credibility in this area. Right now, the organization doesn't have that as far as I'm concerned. I've seen plenty of pitchers skip a start before - Webb's not been himself for a month.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivel drivel

news and notes

Quote:
SAN DIEGO -- After being thoroughly frustrated with his last start, Diamondbacks ace Brandon Webb was all smiles after his between-start bullpen session Saturday morning.

"It felt good," said Webb, who allowed seven runs over five innings to the Rockies on Thursday. "I'm encouraged."

Webb has not been sharp in his two starts since missing a turn earlier this month with stiffness in his elbow. His sinker didn't have its normal bite Thursday, and Webb, along with pitching coach Bryan Price, think they know why.

When Webb's arm comes back during his delivery, his hand needs to be more in line with second base, but recently he's been getting too deep, or long with it, and it's been pointing more toward first.

"When I stay short, I get more downward [movement]," he said, referring to his signature sinker. "Where if I get too long, it moves sideways and stays flat."
Robert S.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even tell you how much I hope it's true.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is better long-term, but it doesn't matter how he feels if he's getting shelled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: