Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Santana to dbacks?? haha
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projekt wrote:
What I don't get is this: Why don't the Yankees just develop their "Ace" prospect to be their "Ace"?

The obvious answer is "They are they Yankees, duh..." but seriously...

Just the risk.... What if hughes doesnt turn out to be the player his is supposed to become. The idea would be to trade a possible superstar, for a current superstar. Really, the yankees dont care about money - so the chance to avoid risk is worth the extra money that Santana would cost...
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference is that Santana is a true ACE and Hughes has the potential to be a #1 and possibly an ACE.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money isn't an issue (with the Yankees it never is), then it's a smarter move to trade Hughes for Santanna (provided they can extend him if they choose to) than it is to hold onto him with the hopes that he may be as good a few years from now. It would be RDF if they traded for Santanna and he turned into the next ARod.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
The Yanks may be the favorites, but I see the Angels and Dodgers as other two teams that have the resources to both acquire Santana and sign him long term. And if the Yankees are in, that means the Red Sox and Mets will be too. Arizona certainly has the prospects to be in, it's just a matter of if they'd want to commit that much in salary to a one pitcher. Throw in a wild card team like the Cubs (with the Tribune Company's money), and you have the makings for a royal bidding war (which again, probably favors the Yanks).

Well I think more so than the Yankees it favors Santana Wink

Just think, from Rule 5 to possibly $25M per. Crazy
ibcrackin2
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santana being brought in would be worth the extra few years it would take to pay off the deferments.

He is a special kind of pitcher, and would give us both Cy young pitchers form last year and three total on the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing Callaspo everday and Hairston in left to have the nastiest rotation in all of baseball.

I don't see us trading for him or geting him for just three players though.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend on the 3 players.

Upton, Gonzalez & Young- Probably

Byrnes, Julio & Davanon- Not so much
ibcrackin2
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see it happening.

I don't see us spending the money, or giving up the talent to make it happen.

If Santana is traded he would likely go to New York, Boston, or the Mets maybe a Chicago team.

They are the ones who can afford to dump prospects and money.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% <other than the part about Boston having prospects>.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Tribune mentions that it might be difficult for the Twins to extend Santana.

Quote:
While the Twins will approach Johan Santana and Joe Nathan about contract extensions in the near future, there's no guarantee that things will work out. Especially in Santana's case, because the lefthanded ace might command a $20 million annual salary.

Quote:
"A lot of things have to come together. It's easy to talk about that stuff but difficult to accomplish."

The Twins' 1999 payroll was $19 million. Santana's annual salary could top that.

So Santana will be 29 after the 08 season, what do you think he'll command? My guess is closer to 25MM than 20MM. I'd say he could ask for 8/200 and get it <if he performs over the next 2 like he has in the past>.
csktech
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
The Star Tribune mentions that it might be difficult for the Twins to extend Santana.

Quote:
While the Twins will approach Johan Santana and Joe Nathan about contract extensions in the near future, there's no guarantee that things will work out. Especially in Santana's case, because the lefthanded ace might command a $20 million annual salary.

Quote:
"A lot of things have to come together. It's easy to talk about that stuff but difficult to accomplish."

The Twins' 1999 payroll was $19 million. Santana's annual salary could top that.

So Santana will be 29 after the 08 season, what do you think he'll command? My guess is closer to 25MM than 20MM. I'd say he could ask for 8/200 and get it <if he performs over the next 2 like he has in the past>.

Eight Years is a hell of a commitment, no way teh Twins will do that. Your talking Sox Yankmes money there. By then the Yanks will know if Hughs is going to work out. My Guess is 5Years 120 mil with the contract being heavily backloaded.

Kyle
Go Dbacks
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See: Zito, Barry.

Whatever he got, Santana will get longer and higher annual
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his performance stays the same, he'll be the first Ace to hit the market since Martinez but younger and IMHO better.

I can't see a team who can afford him let him slip by. If the Yankees & Red Sox got in a battle over him <pretty likely if his agent is worth a dime> then he should just clean house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: