Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rethinking Eric Byrnes, why NOT to trade him
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we dont trade EB, dont trade Scotty (becos of low value) and let SCOT play only backup outfield, then its lose-lose for both D-backs and SH.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
The only thing that drives one crazy here is that due to lack of opportunity, and also injury, he just has very little trade value. It's crazy. If given 500 at bats in the majors, you just know Josh's phone would be ringing every day with teams trying to get Hairston.

Are you coming back to my side about trading EB??? get off the fence man... Laughing
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew my comment would be interpreted that way...LOL

I am of a mind that this team can make the playoffs in 2007 without hurting the future, and making the playoffs in 2007 will help the future alot, because it will drive up attendance, interest and revenues.

So in order to make Byrnes tradeable, Davanon has to find a way to heal quicker and get ready to play games ASAP. If Davanon is questionable, they need Byrnes...simple as that.

Anyway, right now there just is no market for Byres...there might be in mid-late march.
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you coming back to my side about trading EB??? get off the fence man...

Nice catch qudjy1, so finally shoe regrets not trading EB
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I knew my comment would be interpreted that way...LOL

I am of a mind that this team can make the playoffs in 2007 without hurting the future, and making the playoffs in 2007 will help the future alot, because it will drive up attendance, interest and revenues.

So in order to make Byrnes tradeable, Davanon has to find a way to heal quicker and get ready to play games ASAP. If Davanon is questionable, they need Byrnes...simple as that.

Anyway, right now there just is no market for Byres...there might be in mid-late march.

I know, i know... i was just messin...
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Byrnes: Pick Me! Pick Me!
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he'd want to be back there, but is the feeling mutual? I remember reading that the fans loved watching him run around in his caffiene buzz and a dirty uniform but the A's seem to smart to waste good money on Byrnes.
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JByrnes can make it happen somehow.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish him luck.
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to pull this one off, he'll need all the luck he can get.
Pilgrim 33
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie Ball - 16 BB 16 Ks .314 avg. .378 obp.
Low A - 18 BB 15 Ks .426 avg. .504 obp.

High A - 58 BB 37 Ks .337 avg .433 obp.
Double A - 17 BB 32 Ks .238 avg. .316 obp.

Double A - 43 BB 38 Ks .301 avg. .395 obp.
Triple A - 31 BB 30 Ks .333 avg. .410 obp.

Triple A - 33 BB 66 Ks .289 avg. .343 obp.

These quite respectable numbers are the first four years of minor league ball for Eric Byrnes. Our free swinging left-fielder actually showed a decent eye at the plate, only dipping in that final year coincidentally when he first hit 20 homeruns in a season. By the time he actually reached the A's he seemed to become more of a hacker, but at times last season he put together decent at bats and worked walks.

My question is ... is it too late to reinstill the patience he first exhibited as a professional if we were to make him our leadoff hitter? He's shown himself to be an intelligent guy. Take a few more pitches, try to get a lot more walks, take advantage of his superior baserunning skills and stolen base ability. He's going to get his fair share of doubles and triples that are also going to instantly put him into scoring position. If this approach is at the expense of swinging for the fences, would E. Byrnes balk with this essentially being his "walk year" into free agency? I'd rather see him leading off than batting clean-up. Where else might he fit into the line-up?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where else might he fit into the line-up?

Against lefties anywhere they want. Against righties, either or on the bench, or 7th.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=iguchta01&year=2005
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=ugglada01&year=2006

Rudi Law rule working. Look at their stats with a runner on first. Byrnes, becomes the obp man, with his sb ability, bat Drew second...50 homers. Sb overrated.???'m on to something here, Qudjy, get on the case and start looking at synergy of a goodbase stealer, and a fastball hitter behind him, and what that hitter's stat are with the said basestealer on first.

Tab these Dangerfield stats as Abe Vigoda's.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
I'm on to something here, Qudjy, get on the case and start looking at synergy of a goodbase stealer, and a fastball hitter behind him, and what that hitter's stat are with the said basestealer on first.

I'm not Qudjy, but I'll let you know what I know. The studies I've seen regarding basestealer on first seem to show, as I poorly recall, that is varies too much batter to batter and pitcher to pitcher for any generality to be made.

Some hitters can see and advantage, but some see it as a major distraction. Same with pitchers (Andy Pettite would rather walk the leadoff man and pick him off first than give into him when behind in the count).

Honestly Dangerfield, if you'd watch the game and get your head out of the (management) books you might learn something about this game. Razz Wink
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:
I'm on to something here, Qudjy, get on the case and start looking at synergy of a goodbase stealer, and a fastball hitter behind him, and what that hitter's stat are with the said basestealer on first.

I'm not Qudjy, but I'll let you know what I know. The studies I've seen regarding basestealer on first seem to show, as I poorly recall, that is varies too much batter to batter and pitcher to pitcher for any generality to be made.

Some hitters can see and advantage, but some see it as a major distraction. Same with pitchers (Andy Pettite would rather walk the leadoff man and pick him off first than give into him when behind in the count).

Honestly Dangerfield, if you'd watch the game and get your head out of the (management) books you might learn something about this game. Razz Wink

So then you admit, some hitters see it as an advantage. The generality is, the art of basestealing is exactly that, but teams like the Yanks, LaRussa, the Pinella teams, have definitely used it to their advantage. I could argue, the stolen base may be the most important asset a team could have on offense. Laughing
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

So then you admit, some hitters see it as an advantage. The generality is, the art of basestealing is exactly that, but teams like the Yanks, LaRussa, the Pinella teams, have definitely used it to their advantage. I could argue, the stolen base may be the most important asset a team could have on offense. Laughing

You could argue, but you'd be wrong Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: