Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hernandez

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hernandez Reply with quote

With ZIP's liking both the Gonzali's, Eveland and Cruz better than Hernandez next year, other than innings, should we think about putting him on the block?

I know we'll be a little short for a month until RJ starts, but May-Sep we will have 3 strong inning eaters, do we really need 4? I know more is better <usually> but there is likely an "hemeostasis" or sorts for a BP <ie if they don't get enough innings they start to see diminishing results>.

Just throwing it out.
Dre
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Livan personally, seems to always keep you in the ballgame every start. I feel like he doesn't self implode like a lot of pitchers we've had filling the back end of our rotation the last few years. That said, heaven forbid if we're out of the race at the trading deadline and we have no plans on making him a 2-3 year deal then hell yes, trade him to a contender. The market for a guy like Livan will be there.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hernandez Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
I know more is better <usually> but there is likely an "hemeostasis" or sorts for a BP <ie if they don't get enough innings they start to see diminishing results>.

I find your ideas intriguing and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
[/Homer Simpson]

AZ's pitchers threw 1459 2/3 IP last year. Give the 2007 Dbacks 1450 IP.

If you have 4 guys with 200 IP, and you give 150 IP to the 5th starter, you end up with 950 IP to the rotation. Which is actually rather high.

You still need to get 500 Innings from your bullpen, and you'll likely have 6 guys in there, which gives Melvin plenty of time to work them to death.

Even if you get 1050 IP out of your rotation (i.e., 210 IP per starter), you'll still have to divvy up 400 innings among 6 relievers, or 66 IP/reliever. I reckon that's pretty typical of the work most relievers get...
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that if you are going to carry a certain number of relievers doesn't there become a diminishing return to scale for the value of an innings eater?

With the amount of competent relievers we have combined with several quality position players with the ability to play multiple positions, why wouldn't it make sense to carry a 7th RP and use one of our other pitching candidates who may pitch .5 to 1 less inning per game.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
My point was that if you are going to carry a certain number of relievers doesn't there become a diminishing return to scale for the value of an innings eater?

With the amount of competent relievers we have combined with several quality position players with the ability to play multiple positions, why wouldn't it make sense to carry a 7th RP and use one of our other pitching candidates who may pitch .5 to 1 less inning per game.

Well, usually you're better off giving the 6th and 7th inning to your starter than your 4th or 5th best reliever, so your first point does have merit.

As to your second point, I really don't see the Dbacks having seven relievers in the pen. They have the candidates, sure, but six should suffice.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll defer to your wisdom.
ibcrackin2
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have enough pitching.

How many teams have trading pitching in the off season or at the begining of the year thinking they had plenty, only to end up regretting the trade later.

If we are out of it by the trade deadline, then I say fine trade him to keep the system flush with talent.

I don't see this team being out of it at any point this year, so trading him may be a moot point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: