Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Doug Davis -- 3 years for approximately $22M
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work much better with spell check.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, check my facts, Laughing , but for a most of the year, they played without Hardy, and Hall is a left fielder. The whole team had no defensive range, for most of the year. Der lies in this instance. Pitching was probably a lot better than gets credit. Turnbow was awful too right? Offense everytime I watched Cappy pitch didn't score either it seemed.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does defense explain Davis' increase in walks and decrease in k's?
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general theory is that Davis, because he's a bit of a soft tosser, has to pitch to spots and rely on his defense more than some other pitchers might. Last year there was some talk that he was affraid to throw strikes because he wasn't totally confident in the defense behind him. Particularly early in the season, he seemed a lot more tentative in his approach to pitching.
coop981
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:

Maybe like Webb of 2004 where he was pitching away from contact. That season Webb had 119 BBs in 208 IP, 177 BBs in 644.2 IP in his other 3 years in the majors.

I found a post-trade article (11/28/06) that basically assumes the same comparison is accurate:

"Throwing strikes is something that Davis did throughout his career before last season, when his walk total rose to a career-high 102. Some scouts attributed the increase in walks to poor defense behind him, which caused him to try to pitch away from contact. It's similar to what happened to Brandon Webb in 2004, when his walk total rose as the team struggled defensively."
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:

He wasn't pitching on get away day enough.
Zephon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice deal for the Dbacks. Hopefully last year was a fluke, and he rebounds and posts some solid numbers this year. From personal observation the brew crew's defense was pretty awful, even though all the metrics I've seen show them as middle of the pack.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:

so, do we buy the argument that webb's BB rate in 2004 went up because of the crappy defense?

and if you buy that, why not buy the same argument for davis?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
stu wrote:

so, do we buy the argument that webb's BB rate in 2004 went up because of the crappy defense?

and if you buy that, why not buy the same argument for davis?

Well...playing devils advocate, His Walk rate went up alot in 2005 too, just not as bad as 2006. He has never had great control.

From 99-2003 he pitched 457.1 IP, and gave up 200 walks, or a 3.94 W/9 ratio

In 2004, his career year, he lowered his walk rate to 3.43/9

However in 05 his walk rate was back up to 3.76 and in 06, it ballooned all the way to 4.52

He is obviously going to have to get that walk rate down to 3.75/9 , or thereabouts...to be effective in Chase Field. If he can't, it won't be pretty.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always sort of skeptical of defense as cause of Webb's control problems in 2004. It looked to me like he lacked command of his fastball and sinker that year, but I don't know. I do remember Webb giving Clayton credit for his improvement on control because of Clayton's ability in the field. I suppose it could be a reason and I hope it is.

Price seems to stress throwing strikes more than his predecessors. I remember Brenley didn't even know the walk stats for his pitchers. Of course when you have Schilling and RJ going 40% of the time stats become much less important.

I'll be optimistic.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
I work much better with spell check.

download the newest mozilla firefox 2. it automatically underlines spelling mistakes whenever you type on the internet... in fact, as I type this, both mozilla and firefox are underlined in red.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
wabaseball34
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very happy to see this deal go through. Davis is someone who i really think could benefit from our solid defense behind him. nice to see him locked up for the next few years.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabaseball34 wrote:
I was very happy to see this deal go through. Davis is someone who i really think could benefit from our solid defense behind him. nice to see him locked up for the next few years.

I hope you don't mean AZ's 2006 defense...
wabaseball34
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm referring to our defense this year of Drew, Hudson, Young, Byrnes, and Quentin. i thought that was implied, i feel we are very strong defensively, and have no reason to doubt so.
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I bring these stats back because it's amazing what's in a name. These are cumulative stats over the past three seasons for two blind pitchers. The only difference is the number on the check they get every two weeks.

Code:
Pitcher A: LH, 103 ST, 34-34, 3 CG, 633.1 IP, 274 BB, 533 K, 4.04 ERA, .249 OBA, 63 Quality Starts.

Pitcher B: LH, 103 ST, 41-34, 0 CG, 662.1 IP, 269 BB, 485 K, 4.05 ERA, .247 OBA, 57 Quality Starts.

Pitcher A is Doug Davis, who will get 21 mil over the next three seasons. (7+ per year)

Pitcher B is Barry Zito, who signed the richest deal for a pitcher in MLB history; 7 years, 126 million (18+ per year)

Once again, I've used this before, just incase you've had that feeling of Deja Vu.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
Again, I bring these stats back because it's amazing what's in a name. These are cumulative stats over the past three seasons for two blind pitchers. The only difference is the number on the check they get every two weeks.

Code:
Pitcher A: LH, 103 ST, 34-34, 3 CG, 633.1 IP, 274 BB, 533 K, 4.04 ERA, .249 OBA, 63 Quality Starts.

Pitcher B: LH, 103 ST, 41-34, 0 CG, 662.1 IP, 269 BB, 485 K, 4.05 ERA, .247 OBA, 57 Quality Starts.

Pitcher A is Doug Davis, who will get 21 mil over the next three seasons. (7+ per year)

Pitcher B is Barry Zito, who signed the richest deal for a pitcher in MLB history; 7 years, 126 million (18+ per year)

Once again, I've used this before, just incase you've had that feeling of Deja Vu.

Since their stats are nearly identical with a nod towards Davis, Doug clearly doesn't "know how to win." Laughing
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZITO > Davis, and by a reasonable margin. But not 100 million better Wink
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also take into account Davis was a Brewer, and Zito was an A...both teams with differing successes. But shoe hits the nail on the head, he's slightly better, but luckily his agent didn't quite have the same luck Boras did.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

Code:

Since their stats are nearly identical with a nod towards Davis, Doug clearly doesn't "know how to win." Laughing

One thing is missing:
A - 102 career ERA+, 122 high, 91 in 2007
B - 127 career ERA+, 174 high, 116 in 2007
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
One thing is missing:
A - 102 career ERA+, 122 high, 91 in 2007
B - 127 career ERA+, 174 high, 116 in 2007

Yes, that would be important. Wink
webby17
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good deal in my opinion
he would have got more on the market
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stu"]I wish I knew why Davis pitched so poorly last year. I know his walks went up and his k's went down, but why? Was he hurt? Just a flukeish type year. James ERC has him about .5 runs lower in that than era.

He had the same problem Webb did when he struggled. The Brewers defense was god awful last year, especially late in the year. Davis was pitching away form contact liek Webb did, the year his walks balooned. This lead to walks and we know how that eventually burns a pitcher.

I see Davis having a very solid year with the defense he has behind him/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: