Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yankees & D-Backs discussing RJ to AZ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think McCray has about nailed it on the head. It's one part PR ("hey, we tried to bring a franchise icon back, but it just didn't work out."), mixed with one part "Let's let the Padres, Dodgers and Giants think we're in this, and then have them up the ante."
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Diamondbacks want Randy and will complete a deal for him as long as the price doesn't get too high for them. I think the Yankees want to unload Randy fast and will make a trade with the Diamondbacks Josh will accept sooner rather than later. The news media usually hints a lot they don't want to tell us yet. The Diamondbacks are the team mentioned most prominently in this trade, and think there is good reason for it. Cool
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Rubin and Bill Madden / New York Daily News Tuesday morning wrote:
NEW YORK - Randy Johnson's rocky stay in New York may be ending after two seasons.

The Yankees are talking to several clubs about possibly trading Johnson and are inclined to make a deal, according to baseball officials.

It seems the first seeds for a trade were planted by Johnson himself. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman made a condolence call to Johnson after his brother's recent death. In it, the pitcher emphasized the importance of being close to his family and Cashman took it as a trade request.

San Diego right now appears to be the most likely destination for the five-time Cy Young Award winner, but the Dodgers, Angels and Diamondbacks are all said to be in the mix. One of the officials, familiar with the ongoing discussions, used the phrase "several bona fide offers" to describe what the Yankees are mulling and said the Yankees probably would not have to include any money.

In exchange for Johnson, it's possible the Yankees could be looking at San Diego reliever Scott Linebrink, a righthander they've always liked.

The 43-year-old lefty is entering the final year of the three-year, $48 million contract the lefty signed with the Bombers when they acquired him from the Diamondbacks in January 2005 for Javier Vazquez, Dioner Navarro and Brad Halsey. He reportedly is owed $16 million for 2007, with $1.5 million deferred.

The Diamondbacks still owe Johnson approximately $40 million in deferred payments from his five seasons there. They are thought to still be in a rebuilding mode, but might be involved with hopes of restructuring how that money is paid. The Newark Star-Ledger first reported the possibility of Johnson returning to Arizona on Monday.

Johnson is 34-19 with a 4.37 ERA in two seasons with the Yankees and was 17-11 with a career-worst 5.00 ERA this year. He had his second back surgery after the season and any team that acquires him will insist on him passing a physical first. Johnson has told those close to him that his back feels better than it ever did after his first surgery, when he played for the Mariners.

"They may very well be talking to other teams, but I want to be clear about this: we are not part of this process," Alan Nero, Johnson's agent, said in a telephone interview Monday. "Randy still has a full no-trade (clause)."

Johnson might be ready to waive it for his personal reasons as well as fatigue from his travails in New York. The future Hall of Famer has never seemed comfortable with the expectations and scrutiny here. From his first day, when he had a confrontation with a television cameraman, to his most recent, when he again disappointed on the postseason stage, his every move has been water-cooler fodder.

Before the 2005 trade brought him to the Bronx, Johnson had been resistant to the idea of playing on the East Coast. That changed when the Yankees turned out to be the only team willing to offer him a megadeal at age 41.

The Dodgers' aggressive GM, Ned Colletti, already has signed Jason Schmidt for the front of his rotation and his interest may be in part to keep Johnson away from the division-rival Padres.

The Yankees still are looking to add a lefthanded reliever and someone who can play first base. They also would like to further stock their farm system, as they did in the Gary Sheffield trade to Detroit.

Freeing up $16 million also may open the door for them to enter the bidding for top free agent lefthander Barry Zito, in which the Mets are a major player.

Cashman has been adamant this winter about avoiding long-term deals to pitchers, perhaps because of buyer's remorse over the Carl Pavano signing. However, the temptation to get Zito could sway feelings in the organization.
Otacon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, how over the course of 12 hours it went from "The D-backs are interested in re-acquiring Johnson" to "The D-backs offered 3 guys for Johnson" to "Well, he's probably headed to San Diego".Rolling Eyes

He either stays in New York, Arizona gets him in a fair-ish deal (Vizcaino, Enrique, and some dude? IDK), or Ned Colletti overtakes Josh Byrnes as DBBP's favorite GM by trading half of his farm system.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Unit better grow some balls and come back where he belongs: Arizona. He goes anywhere else in the west and I'll spit on his grave. Mad

Merry Christmas.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just take Derek Halls statement at face value. By the time this news came out, the D Backs and Yankees had probably already been talking for quite a few days, and were not able to work anything out, because the Yankees want too much and Josh won't bend over.

With a player like RJ, and New York leaking information like a sieve, it's not smart to allow them to control all the information flow. If you remember, they did that last time.

So a statement of fact, " We have been talking but can't find a match" was the best thing here. I think the fact that they made a statement indicates that they are stepping away from the negotiating table and not expecting to proceed.

Personally, I would like to see one of the other NL West teams vastly overpay for RJ, both in terms of prospects and money, and the D Backs just stick with the damn plan and suck it up for 2007 with what they've got, and make EVERY move with an eye towards 2008.

EDIT: Obviously if the cost is not too great, and they get RJ back, the fanboy in me will be excited.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to read the Joseph Reaves column

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1226dbacks1226.html

Is the guy drunk or high? WTF is he saying?
Sam/DMD
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Holidays to everyone! I haven't visited here for quite some time. Glad to see all you old timers are alive and well and still kicking and talking baseball. You guys are indeed hard core baseball fans.

As for Randy Johnson, the news sure got me excited enough to spend a half hour digging out my user name and password to get back in this forum.

I would love to see him back. As much as I like the idea that our team is young and talented, we do need a bona fide big star like him back in the lineup.

Please, JB, please make a good enough deal so that we'll have Randy back. It'll be the best holiday present for the D-Backs fans.
XB3
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
The Diamondbacks still owe Johnson approximately $40 million in deferred payments from his five seasons there. They are thought to still be in a rebuilding mode, but might be involved with hopes of restructuring how that money is paid. The Newark Star-Ledger first reported the possibility of Johnson returning to Arizona on Monday.

Holy shit, we still owe this guy 40 mil? My first impulse, don't give RJ another dime. But on the other hand, may as well bring him back if we still owe him that much. Does anyone have the complete list of deferred salaries owed by the D-Backs.

TAP ... 1:23 AM ... get some sleep. Shocked
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no definitive list for public consumption.

All we can do piece together whatever gets leaked in dribs and drabs in the papers.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, RJ spent six seasons in AZ. And does anyone else think the $40M is a bit high? Maybe not though... I remember reading at one point of time that RJ had loaned more money to the Dbacks than the money he'd received from them...
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cashman is playing the Western teams marvelously, and he is going to get a really good deal for Randy. He will not only unload his salary and go after Zito or Clemens, but he will get a lot of talent back to his team in the process. I will be in JB's camp if the price for Randy gets unreasonable and Randy ends up going to another team than the Diamondbacks. If Randy goes to another NL West team, I would like to see that team pay out of the nose for Randy. If a team isn't careful, it could get caught up in a spirited auction with its league rivals and end up giving up a lot more in value for Randy than it gets in return.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Baseball Reference, during his 6 years with the D Backs, Randy was Scheduled to earn 80,750,000

Assuming they did not start deferring his salary until at least after 2000, than the figure of 40,000,000 would indeed represent well over half of what he was owed at the time.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

He's saying get RJ back at all costs.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves is nuts if he thinks Arizona should go after Randy at all costs. There are still other options out there. Reeves is free to voice his opinion, however, on how other people should throw away a lot of money. Very Happy
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
According to Baseball Reference, during his 6 years with the D Backs, Randy was Scheduled to earn 80,750,000

Assuming they did not start deferring his salary until at least after 2000, than the figure of 40,000,000 would indeed represent well over half of what he was owed at the time.

does that 40 mil include the interest? i thought i read some where that they are all defered with interest....

Like to think im a trend setter
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
levski wrote:

Huh... I couldn't tell from his column. He lost me on his third [strike]sentence[/strike] paragraph...
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ isn't going to accept a trade to other west teams if he knows he has a chance to go home to the D-backs. We might be able to lowball Cashman if he's desperate to get a deal done - Julio, Vizcaino, Nippert, maybe? Or is that too much
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
levski wrote:

Huh... I couldn't tell from his column. He lost me on his third [strike]sentence[/strike] paragraph...

Well...he shot his wad with the headline

Quote:

Unit back to Arizona? Just do it
D-Backs would be wise to get this done
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt trade one young guy for him, esp if they arent picking up most of his salary...
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I wouldnt trade one young guy for him, esp if they arent picking up most of his salary...

i would not trade one young guy for him even if they pick up half of his salary.......

after all he will be a FA next year and im sure he will come here anyway....

TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

i would not trade one young guy for him even if they pick up half of his salary.......after all he will be a FA next year and im sure he will come here anyway....

The advantage to AZ if they can reasonably trade for him this year would be an extension at a lower rate to avoid the insane FA salary escalation next year.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2708203

{In the past week the Arizona Diamondbacks have offered a package of players to the New York Yankees in exchange for Randy Johnson, a baseball official said.

In need of starting pitching -- and a marquee name that will draw more fans -- the Diamondbacks have offered a package of at least three players, including a major-leaguer. They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract. The Yankees, according to the official, don't want to pick up any of Johnson's salary.}

holy shit!!!! this is out of control....not only they yapping about a shit deal with 3 players but and extension??????? Shocked Shocked Shocked 43 bad back, bad knee and talk of an extension how long???...no way....i like a one year deal next year (sign in winter of 2007 as a FA) so he can get his 300th here, but not a day longer than 1 year for 2008....this extension talk makes me even makes me flush this trade idea even more....

josh has not shown a soft side for players that the community would like (LG20 and CC4) back or stay longer....but RJ51 is someone that "might" sell more seats, so the front office might like it, but as it was pointed out before he did not sell extra seats 2 years ago he would be less to do now.....

NO TRADE....MAYBE SIGN AS A FA IN WINTER OF 2007 FOR ONE YEAR....IF NOT............SMELL YOU LATER RJ

Last edited by NJ-DBACKS-FAN on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

i would not trade one young guy for him even if they pick up half of his salary.......after all he will be a FA next year and im sure he will come here anyway....

The advantage to AZ if they can reasonably trade for him this year would be an extension at a lower rate to avoid the insane FA salary escalation next year.

how long and how much......

nothing past 2008 by then he will be 67 and cashing dbacks current checks, 40 mil def. sal and Social Security checks!!!

TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

{In the past week the Arizona Diamondbacks have offered a package of players to the New York Yankees in exchange for Randy Johnson, a baseball official said.

In need of starting pitching -- and a marquee name that will draw more fans -- the Diamondbacks have offered a package of at least three players, including a major-leaguer. They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract. The Yankees, according to the official, don't want to pick up any of Johnson's salary.}

déjà vu?
tmar Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:32 pm
Well it's made ESPN. Supposedly they're discussing 3 players, one a major leaguer. There's mention of a 72hr window to discuss an extension.

...and NJ-DBACKS-FAN, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what Randy can still accomplish here in the dry desert heat. I think he still has at least 2 more very serviceable years left.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 4 of 51

Jump to: