Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Keith Foulke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Keith Foulke Reply with quote

As I suspected, there is an emotional component for Josh Byrnes in the "Keith Foulke Sweepstakes"

From Boston.com

Quote:

Arizona GM backs Foulke
Arizona GM Josh Byrnes believes Boston fans should never forget what Keith Foulke meant to the Red Sox' 2004 world championship team. "I think his contribution speaks for itself. He had a great year and then he had a phenomenal postseason," said Byrnes. "He was exactly what we needed at the time and he fulfilled all of our expectations." Because Foulke has a desire to pitch close to his home in the Phoenix area, Byrnes said that he would take a long look at Foulke, who has improved after suffering back, elbow, and knee injuries last season.

Personally, I think he has just been TOO injured, and at this point in his career, he is NEVER going to approach his effectiveness of 2004. If that is the hope or expectation, something approximating 2004 performance, that is an EXTREME long shot.

If Josh thinks Foulke can be better than the last two seasons, but not as good as 2004, then what exactly is he looking for?

This better be a very cheap, incentive laden deal. It would be a great story to claim Foulke off the scrap heap and have him be an effective proven veteran out of the pen on a resurgent D Backs team. But the concept seems pretty far removed from reality to me.

Here is the bullpen I would like to see on opening day

Valverde
Viscaino
Medders
Cruz
Pena
Slaten

Maybe one more lefty in there would be desireable, if he is good. Choate? eh....I don't know.

Lyon and Julio should both be traded. Depending on who makes the rotation and who doesn't, there are a number of other options for a pen spot if they want to carry 12 pitchers. Besides Choate you still have Enrique, Edgar, Schulz, maybe even Nippert or Owings.

So whose place would Foulke take? Probably Cruz, who might be traded, I guess.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF Foulke is healthy, and IF he'll sign a very team friendly deal (say, 3m/year base plus incentives) for two years, then I don't mind having him. I think we could use the depth, and honestly, if we do not acquire another 200 IP starter (and even if we do), I can see the Dbacks going with 7 relievers next year. I can foresee far worse moves than having Foulke on the cheap...

I like this bullpen even better.

Foulke
Valverde
Viscaino
Medders
Cruz
Pena
Slaten

And yes, I agree we should be seeking to trade Lyon and Julio.

Quote:
Besides Choate you still have Enrique, Edgar, Schulz, maybe even Nippert or Owings.

Choate isn't good. Enrique and Edgar I think will wrap up the last two spots in the rotation, and one of them might even get traded... Nippert has never been a reliever. Owings will be in AAA for the year as the starter. And Schultz shouldn't even be in the majors, period. There's also Aquino, who might end up a trade bait as well...

By 'we' and 'our', Byrnes means the Red Sox, of course.

Quote:
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the optimism that Foulke can regain his former effectiveness is all based on his work in September. 11.1 scoreless innings, 1 walk and 9 K's

Prior to that, he was an absolute disaster for the better part of two seasons.

Personally, I don't think he can remain healthy at this point in his career. Too many injuries, too old, not the best body.

But, that September DOES leave hope....so Josh better get the video out and take a look at every AB and every pitch for the month of September, and make sure it was a REAL recovery and not lucky.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, if he's dirt cheap, and seems healthy, the upside is there...
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF foulke is healthy AND he's cheap, then yeah, i'm cool with bringing him onboard.

but i'm curious why both lev and shoe think lyon should be traded. is he making too much money now? because the guy gave us 70 IP or so, 3.89 ERA, 1.298 WHIP, and a 122 ERA+. and it's not like this team is drowning in good bullpen relievers. so why ditch lyon?
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps durability issues. Especially if he presses his case to be a starter. Shocked
djmeatball23
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sign foulke if he is winning to have an inncentive based contract
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if its dirt cheap
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess but it's probably that Lyon is about to get expensive <for a reliever>.
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Foulke and give him a try, if he sucks, just send him to AAA or DFA him.

Only if he comes cheap.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't get the Foulke situation at all. The dude just declined $3.75M and aside from a nice Sep 2006, he's sucked hairy donkey cock for the last two seasons (when he wasn't injured). BR says he's made about $32M, so in baseball terms, he hasn't made the FU money yet. I highly doubt he turned down the RS because he was butthurt that they didn't pick up his option.

Therefore, there are two possible conclusions:

1) He thinks he fine and should get more than $3.75M/yr, even if it is just a one-year deal.

2) He is unsure about his future status and wants a multi-year deal worth more than $5-6M

I don't buy the 'wants to stay close to home shit' at all. Foulke him, if we want an overpriced and injured but better than league average righty reliever we can just go to arbitration with Lyon.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I don't buy the 'wants to stay close to home shit' at all. Foulke him, if we want an overpriced and injured but better than league average righty reliever we can just go to arbitration with Lyon.

But they always look more attractive coming from another team. Rolling Eyes
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
matt wrote:

But they always look more attractive coming from another team. Rolling Eyes

And they are so much better when they used to be better. Fuck, we might as well get Gagne for $7M....
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think foulke will come cheaper than the 3.75M the red sox offered, and which he declined. from what i've read on other boards, foulke HATED boston. so i think he just wanted to get way. if that's the case, and he isn't looking for the FU money, then i'm jiggy with it.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld

Quote:
Agent Dan Horwits said free agent Keith Foulke could pick his new team as soon as Friday.

The Indians are known to have made him an offer, and he's had some talks with the Diamondbacks. All things being equal, it's assumed he'd like to play close to home in Arizona.
Source: Boston.com
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._could_de.html

Former Sox closer Keith Foulke has a few offers to mull over and could make a decision on where he'll be playing next season as soon as Friday, according to his agent, Dan Horwits.

Horwits said Foulke has moved off his desire to pitch close to his Arizona home. He said four teams have made offers. One is thought to be the Cleveland Indians, who have pursued Foulke the longest.

Horwits said there is a situation or two where Foulke could be the closer. The Indians might fit. Horwits said Foulke would likely want a one-year deal with an option. He received a $1.5 million parting gift from the Red Sox.

While Horwits said he's had recent conversations with Theo Epstein, and said he didn't rule anything out with Boston, it does not appear the Red Sox will bring him back.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....usually Rotoworld does a pretty good job of summarizing articles, but I should have followed the link and readthe article.....obviously the article says the opposite of what Rotoworld implies.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we considered using our SP prospects out of the pen? Any reasons that would exclude them from breaking in in bullpen/long relief roles their first year?

Boston pulled a good move using Papelbon in the closer role. They got a closer for minimum, their prospect got experience, and now he has confidence and comfort in the rotation. Worked out on several levels.

Not saying one of our guys could be a closer, but what if Nippert/Owings/Enrique can get through an inning or two every other day as well as a free agent established reliever or somebody we have to trade for?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to take 07 and try to find a closer in our system vs spending big money or quality prospects on getting one from outside the system.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's passing on a rumor of Foulke to the Indians ( last paragraph) : http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/12/22/patriots_day_game_to_start_even_earlier/ Laughing
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6299316

Quote:
Foulke would be fourth new Indian reliever

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 5 minutes ago

The reconstruction of the Indians' bullpen continues.

Free-agent right-hander Keith Foulke is leaning toward signing with Cleveland, though a deal likely will not be completed until after Christmas, FOXSports.com has learned.

Foulke, 34, received multi-year offers, according to a source, but he is expected to sign a one-year contract with the Indians, possibly with a player or mutual option.

His agent, Dan Horwits, has informed other interested clubs that Foulke is close to a deal, and that they should pursue other options.

Foulke would be the fourth free-agent reliever signed by the Indians this off-season, joining right-handers Joe Borowski and Roberto Hernandez and left-hander Aaron Fultz.

Both Foulke and Borowski have significant experience as closers, but Foulke likely would be the leading candidate to pitch the ninth inning. When the Indians signed Borowski, they did not promise him the closer's role.

Foulke, however, has battled injuries the past two seasons, and has not closed regularly since helping lead the Red Sox to the World Series title in 2004.

The Sox made rookie Jonathan Papelbon their closer last season. Foulke went on the disabled list with right elbow tendonitis on June 12 and missed more than two months. After returning, he posted a 2.04 ERA in 15 appearances.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's senior baseball writer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: