Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
getting the proverbial lefty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: getting the proverbial lefty Reply with quote

So I gather Josh Byrnes has a thing for left handed starting pitchers. Don't ask me why... maybe Chase is actually better for lefties than righties? (a topic for shoewizard to research in his spare time)...

Regardless, JB got Doug Davis and Dan Eveland, two lefties, from the Brew-haha. He also was after Randy Wolf, yup, a lefty. He also asked about Saunders from the Halos, a lefty? And we all know about Mulder. The truth is out there.

Which leads to me ask the question: If one handed lefty clapped in the forest, would the bear that hears him be Catholic?

Indulging JB's quest for lefty starters with some upside...

Stu brought up Brandon Claussen Pickle. Stu and I agreed that there is enough of a minor league track record (plus he was a TJ survivor... Claussen, that is, not Stu) and enough flashes of goodness in the majors to make Claussen a worthwhile gamble. Shoewizard disagreed, but he did that because he's a hardcore right winder, and lefties scare him.

Here's a nut-scratcher: which lefties out there, aside from the above mentioned ones, are worth acquiring?

I'll get it started...

Bruce Chen. Former Braves pheenom. Been on a number of teams. More teams than Bruce Chen cares to remember.

And I saw on rotoworld that he's actually a free agent, along with this comment about his exploits in Puerto Rico:

Quote:
Bruce Chen - LHP Free Agent
4-0, 0.63 ERA, 16 H, 51/5 K/BB in 43 IP

Chen's brilliant winter should allow him to land something more than a minor league deal. He'd be a logical fit in Washington.

Would you gamble on Chen if you are JByrnes? Or at least if you were the MIT stats goddess on JB's team? Anyone?

So far, we've got Claussen. I proffer Chen. Who's got other ideas?
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard levski favorite Andy Sisco was available for tacos.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always Maholm from the old "Tracy to Pirates for Maholm" rumor.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
I heard levski favorite Andy Sisco was available for tacos.

I'm sure we could've had him for someone like Carlos Quentin Wink

Seems like Sisco got caught up in the cancer removal movement in KC. I'd still take him... Too late now
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
There's always Maholm from the old "Tracy to Pirates for Maholm" rumor.

Meh.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JB focused on lefties to assure us that we wouldn't get caught without one. Remember Melvin? He was totally butthurt he didn't have a lefty in the pen. I know these are starters, but nevertheless. I don't think JB wanted all of them or anything, just wanted to make sure that we acquired some left handed pitching talent. Haven't heard much about lefties we develop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: