Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New Discussion Series: Chris Snyder Up or Down in 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chris Snyder, 2006 .773 OPS 92 OPS+
up
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
down
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 29

shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: New Discussion Series: Chris Snyder Up or Down in 2007 Reply with quote

The purpose of these discussion series and polls will be to get a read from the board members what they think about the prospects of each individual player for 2007.

For hitters, the gauge will simply be OPS, up or down. For pitchers, the gauge will be ERA, up or down.

I am not looking for detailed projections, although feel free to post whatever data and projections you like to support your up or down vote. Scouting/Observation based reasoning behind the up or down predictions are just as valid as stat based predictions. I want to hear from everyone.

For the players who split time between the majors and minors, or different levels in the minors, I am using a Composite of their MLE's as available on Minor Leauge Splits , and their major league numbers.

Please vote in the poll first, and then please post whatever comments you would like to support your vote. I will cut and paste this message at the beginning of each player thread, so any newbies will be familiar with what we are doing.

The first player I'll post will be Chris Snyder.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go first with my reasoning for my "down" vote.

I think his OPS will be down a bit, but not by alot. I just figure he will get at least 100 more plate apperances than he had in 2006, and the additional time behind the plate will wear him down a bit more, and level off his numbers.

In my mind Snyder is a 750-775 OPS guy right now. His upside is 800-825, and he is probably still a year or two away from realizing that.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the under. Snyder played a bit above his head last year from what I surmise.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say slightly up. My reasoning.

1. Number of ABs - i see what shoe is saying about the "wear-down" factor, but i think more abs should help. I dont think they will let Montero waste away on the bench. Snyder posted the stats above based on 184 ABs. Players GENERALLY fare better with regular PT. I think this is no different in this case - esp if they play montero a good deal.

2. Pitching Matchups - Opponents Quality Average - Something i found at BP. Using thier data, i just created a CSV file, created an OPS column, and ranked all of the ML players according to strength of opponent. The pitchers Snyder faced tallied a .750. NL average was .778. In other words, he faced pitchers who were stonger (on average) than the rest of the league.

3. Splits - Snyder posted an .803 OPS against RHers in 119 ABs, and a .718 against LHers in 65 ABs. I certainly think he can improve against LHers, if he can have that kind of success against Rhers.

4. This is his 3rd year - hes starting to enter the wheel house of his career... (Ok - this one is fluffy)

All that being said, i dont think he will turn into Barry bonds either... My prediction - 785-795
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted up because im hoping with more ab's if will figure things out
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say up...i agree that the more ABs will help now that he has a little time under his belt.
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post my knee-jerk reaction before I read anyone else's posts. I really don't see it going up a lot, but I'll say it'll go up slightly. He should see more playing time, but I expect to see his extra base hits rise a little bit. His comfort level with pitchers in the majors shouldn't prevent him from being a most every day catcher now. Not to mention that his OPS could go up just from platooning alone.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say up, but slightly. he has a great eye, and i don't think he'll be overexposed with more ABs. the org isn't going to dick around with montero. they'll both get a lot of ABs. and i really like snyder's eye, he's got a good obp, and over the course of last year, he started to (at least to me) look like he was swinging the bat a little different. his swing is definitely a lot more compact and less looping than it was early on.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
i say up, but slightly. he has a great eye, and i don't think he'll be overexposed with more ABs. the org isn't going to dick around with montero. they'll both get a lot of ABs. and i really like snyder's eye, he's got a good obp, and over the course of last year, he started to (at least to me) look like he was swinging the bat a little different. his swing is definitely a lot more compact and less looping than it was early on.

Yeah... thanks mccray... i forgot i was going to make that point as well... (really... i was...) his ability to lay off the low+outside slider has and will really improve his K/AB...
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zips 2007 projection not giving Snyder any love
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up, just a little
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

FYI, according to This BTF Thread Zips accurate about 68% of the time on hitters and 46% accurate on pitchers.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

FYI, according to This BTF Thread Zips accurate about 68% of the time on hitters and 46% accurate on pitchers.

The key statement there is "for hitters over 500 ABs". Snyder doesnt come close. Also, although the r = .68, i would like to see the dispersion aound that figure...
dbacks08
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I'll go first with my reasoning for my "down" vote.

I think his OPS will be down a bit, but not by alot. I just figure he will get at least 100 more plate apperances than he had in 2006, and the additional time behind the plate will wear him down a bit more, and level off his numbers.

In my mind Snyder is a 750-775 OPS guy right now. His upside is 800-825, and he is probably still a year or two away from realizing that.

I voted down as well and this is pretty much exactly why I did so too. I too agree that Snyder is not yet at his ceiling and that more games catching= lesser numbers. Great post Shoewiz.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted down only because I think Snyder benefitted from matchups with Estrada last yr, and he won't have as many situational advantages. But he'll still be solid, and good behind the plate.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WAG is up slightly. I think that with a more compact swing, more PAs, and another year under his belt that his SLG % could increase a bit.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the org isn't going to dick around with montero.

Of course, we have said this about Jackson, Hairston and probably some other players.

I would say up if Snyder were going to be used intelligently, that is spot rest him on a regular basis. He needs ab's against the lower tier pitchers to keep his stroke in so you can't just play Montero against those guys. It really takes some skill and knowledge to pick and choose when to play guys like this.

I think the manager should have the best feel for this. This is one place I part ways with the Beane philosophy. I think the GM should have very limited input in the day to day decisions. The GM has enough on his plate. I don't think he can follow each individual player and their opponents on a day to day basis.

OTOH, I have no confidence in Melvin to to make the right choices. So I will go with down.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
OTOH, I have no confidence in Melvin to to make the right choices.

He certainly hasn't demonstrated any ability with regard to platooning the position players, or in using the bullpen (especially the "long reliever" concept and Juan Cruz). It is my impression that this has had a negative effect on the players involved. (I said "impression" because I don't know of any way to demonstrate this statistically. Not that it can't be done; I just don't have a clue about how to do it...)

I share your lack of of confidence in Melvin when it comes to such matters.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, as usual you have it right, reading between your lines. This is one tough call, Personally, I think Snyder's a monster power bat 3 years. Which one to go with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: