Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TEAMS NEEDS/SURPLUS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: TEAMS NEEDS/SURPLUS Reply with quote

I found an interesting article that summarizes team needs & surplus. This makes a decent reference for those trying to decode the next big 3 way deal.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/afl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23930_5185708,00.html
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think giving up Cruz and Nippert for one year of Jake Westbrook is very likley. No way Westbrook would sign an extension, he'll go FA after 2007
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I just found the site as an interesting resource to what other teams were looking for <outside of SP of course>.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racy Ringostar can't tell his ass from his elbow. I don't even know how he can keep his job. He's Peter Gammons without the front office connections and without the brain...
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Racy Ringostar can't tell his ass from his elbow. I don't even know how he can keep his job. He's Peter Gammons without the front office connections and without the brain...

So he's Kevin Federline?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I don't think giving up Cruz and Nippert for one year of Jake Westbrook is very likley. No way Westbrook would sign an extension, he'll go FA after 2007

I agree with this. However, I probably would trade Nippert and Julio for Westbrook trout and a minor leaguer with some potential.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I'm seeing what's available through acquisition and what it costs in prospects, and what the inflated market for FA P's is, I kinda wish we had extended Miggie at a decent deal. He probably would've gone for it. He's a wussy poet that management could've low-balled so he could maintain "harmony" or something.

But you look at what teams have in excess and it's all garbage unless we give up a core player for the future, on the fields and on the books. So give Edgar the 4th spot and let the other three prospects get their shot at the #5 spot. '07 is a rebuilding year anyways, the casual fan thinks we're going to suck, and we might as well save that money and provide a little flexibility to make trades at the deadline '07 or next winter.

Unless the Indians to give us Westbrook for Byrnes and Hairston.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are reading Miguel correctly there. He wants the payday.

If they had offered him 3/18 to stay we would have all said it was too long, considering his age. (most of us would have anyway). As it is now, he will get more than that. I guess he gets 3/21-3/24.

Maybe worth it in 2007, but I doubt it. I think Miguel falls off a cliff immediately after signing. As a starter, his K/B rates are well below league average and trending worse. He doesn't have alot of wiggle room.

The best case scenario is he would be adequate as a 4th starter for the next 2-3 years, but I don't think this team needs to pay that much toa 4th starter, I really don't.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:

Unless the Indians to give us Westbrook for Byrnes and Hairston.

This is stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: