Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Counsell a Padre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Counsell a Padre Reply with quote

Craig Counsell: Reaches Agreement With San Diego
RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Update: The Padres and Counsell have reached a preliminary agreement on a two-year contract, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Recommendation: If the deal is finalized, Counsell will become the Padres' leading candidate to start at second base and hit leadoff. As a gap hitter, Counsell could take a liking to Petco Park's expansive gaps.

So that's one draft pick for sure...
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch it be 2 yr, $7M...
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He who shall not be named must be making his banner proclaiming the Padres the NL West champions right now.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article says the Padres took their offer off the table and the Brewers are working on signing Counsell: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6214970
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, what the heck...the Brewers don't lose any draft picks for signing Counsell.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=brewerscounsell&prov=st&type=lgns

2 years plus club option for 09
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him. I'm glad he got two years from someone.

He is a great guy to have off the bench. And if he is into doing the mentor thing, he can really help turn Weeks into a secondbaseman.

Good luck Craig.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything that Shoe said. Plus, I think he has frequently done pretty well even when he was a starter. 2001 NLCS MVP.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him, he's always been a class act.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit more on the deal

The Brewers gave Milwaukee native Craig Counsell the rare opportunity to finish his career at home today when they signed the free agent to a two-year contract with a club option for 2009.

The deal, which includes a buyout of the option year, guarantees the veteran infielder $6 million.

It will be the second tour of duty with the Brewers for Counsell, who started at shortstop for them in 2004. Counsell, 36, grew up in Milwaukee and attended Whitefish Bay High School, and recently purchased a home to return to Whitefish Bay.

Counsell will provide backup for both shortstop J.J. Hardy and second baseman Rickie Weeks, who have had injury problems in their first two season with the Brewers. Hardy was lost for the remainder of the 2006 season in mid-May when he suffered an ankle injury that required surgery, and Weeks missed the final two months with a wrist injury that also led to surgery.

Counsell played the last two seasons in Arizona, starting at second base for the Diamondbacks in 2005 and at shortstop last season. In 105 games in 2006, he batted .255 with 14 doubles, four homers and 30 RBI.

The Diamondbacks turned the shortstop job over to rookie Stephen Drew by season's end, putting Counsell back on the free agent market. A report early Tuesday said he had a preliminary two-year deal with the San Diego Padres but that deal apparently fell apart and Counsel engaged in serious discussions with the Brewers.

Counsell's agent, Barry Meister, said seven teams made offers to sign his client, including starting jobs at both shortstop and second base. But Meister said the lure of playing at home was strong for Counsell, who also looks forward to working with Hardy and Weeks.

"Clearly, playing at home was a key factor," said Meister. "The team having a good young core of players also was a factor.

"Craig really enjoys the mentor role and he's looking forward to helping those young infielders get better."

The Brewers had made an offer to keep free-agent infielder Tony Graffanino but shifted their focus to Counsel, which upset Graffanino and his agent. Counsell apparently moved ahead of Graffanino on general manager Doug Melvin's wish list because of his experience at shortstop.

Graffanino, 34, is considered by the Brewers primarily a second baseman, a job in which he performed well (.280, 17 doubles, 27 RBI in 60 games) in place of Weeks after being acquired from Kansas City on July 25.

Counsell was one of six players acquired by the Brewers from Arizona on Dec. 1, 2003 in a trade for first baseman Richie Sexson. He was their starting shortstop in 2004, batting .241 in 140 games before re-signing with the Diamondbacks as a free agent after the season.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he does well... Good luck to you couns...
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Watch it be 2 yr, $7M...

Close. lol

Good for Counsell. It really is a good time to be a free agent. Where else can you significantly decline and double your salary!
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Brewers gave Milwaukee native Craig Counsell the rare opportunity to finish his career at home today when they signed the free agent to a two-year contract with a club option for 2009.

The deal, which includes a buyout of the option year, guarantees the veteran infielder $6 million.

I read some where that D-backs are going to offer arbitration to both Counsell and batista.
That means, are we going to get any draft picks?
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell was a type B so we should get a 2nd rounder?

I'd be wary about offerring to Batista if he hasn't signed anywhere. He probably won't accept but you never know.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

I'd be wary about offerring to Batista if he hasn't signed anywhere. He probably won't accept but you never know.

One more year of batista wouldnt kill us - its the years that really bother me about MB - it may just force a trade of byrnes to get under budget...
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it wouldn't but similar to the Tomo situation it isn't that necessay (although Miggy should be better than Tomo)
Ron B
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

Actually we'll receive a supplemental 1st rounder...Not bad.

Craig Counsell-SS- Brewers Nov. 29 - 1:07 pm et

Brewers signed infielder Craig Counsell to a two-year contract with a club option for 2009.

He is a Type B free agent, so the Diamondbacks will pick up a supplemental first-round pick. Counsell, who played for the Brewers in 2004, hit .255/.327/.347 in 372 at-bats last season. It was actually his second best offensive season of the last four. We're guessing his addition means Bill Hall will stay in the outfield even if the Brewers lose an infielder to injury, something that really cuts into his value to the team. The Brewers should still be looking to re-sign Jeff Cirillo, as they could use a right-handed hitter to serve as a complement to Corey Koskie and Prince Fielder. Counsell is nice insurance for J.J. Hardy and Rickie Weeks, but it would be bad news for the Brewers if he received 300 at-bats for a seventh straight year.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Counse's contract in detail... Shocked

Quote:
Craig Counsell-SS- Brewers Nov. 29 - 3:36 pm et

Craig Counsell is guaranteed $6 million under the terms of the two-year deal he signed with the Brewers.
That's one expensive insurance policy. Counsell will earn $2.8 million in each of the next two seasons, and the Brewers get a $3.4 million option for 2009 with a $400,000 buyout. If Counsell is traded, he also gets a $2.8 million player option for 2009.

TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Here's Counse's contract in detail... Shocked

Quote:
Craig Counsell-SS- Brewers Nov. 29 - 3:36 pm et

Craig Counsell is guaranteed $6 million under the terms of the two-year deal he signed with the Brewers.
That's one expensive insurance policy. Counsell will earn $2.8 million in each of the next two seasons, and the Brewers get a $3.4 million option for 2009 with a $400,000 buyout. If Counsell is traded, he also gets a $2.8 million player option for 2009.

Good for Craig; he got someone to pay him $6M to move home. I'm happy for him.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Gonzo would jump for those kinda dollars right now?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gonzo will have too much trouble getting a 1yr/5MM -2yr/9MM deal or better.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it all played out

MILWAUKEE - On Monday and Tuesday, a strange dance took place involving the Milwaukee Brewers, the San Diego Padres and free agent infielders Craig Counsell and Tony Graffanino.

The Padres thought they had a deal with Counsell.

Graffanino's agent thought he had a deal with the Brewers.

When the music stopped, Counsell ended up with the Brewers, not the Padres. And there's a good chance that Graffanino will find his way to San Diego.

Welcome to the wacky world of baseball free agency. Though feelings were hurt along the way, Counsell officially rejoined the Brewers on Wednesday with a two-year deal plus a club option that guarantees him $6 million.

"In the end, we thought Craig was a better fit," said Brewers general manager Doug Melvin.

Milwaukee certainly was a good fit for Counsell, a 36-year-old veteran who will back up young infielders J.J. Hardy and Rickie Weeks. Counsell grew up in the area, went to Whitefish Bay High School and already served one tour of duty with the Brewers in 2004.

"I've always loved the Brewers," said Counsell. "The chance to play here again was appealing."

The deal will pay Counsell salaries of $2.8 million in each of the next two seasons, with a club option for 2009 for $3.4 million, including a $400,000 buyout. Should the Brewers trade him during the first two seasons, Counsell receives a player option for $2.8 million for 2009.

San Diego offered a regular job at second base, and Cleveland offered more years and more money, but Counsell felt the tug of coming back home. He and wife Michelle, also a Whitefish Bay native, have three children ages 3 and younger, including a 4-month-old daughter. They recently purchased a home in Whitefish Bay and will relocate there from Mequon, where they had lived during the off-season.

"When Doug called, it just kind of felt right," said Counsell, who was the Brewers' starting shortstop in 2004. "It's a great situation for my family. I have three little kids. As a father, you're trying to provide some sense of normalcy for them."

Less than 48 hours earlier, Counsell appeared headed for San Diego. The Padres thought they had an agreement for a two-year, $5 million deal but reportedly pulled the offer when Counsell's agent, Barry Meister, indicated they were considering other options.

"San Diego was a choice, for sure, but that was very premature," said Counsell, who also had overtures from the Chicago Cubs.

In the meantime, Graffanino's agent, Dan Lozano, contacted Melvin to say he was ready to accept a two-year offer that had been on the table for two weeks or so. Melvin told Lozano he had shifted his focus to Counsell, which understandably miffed the agent.

"I was very up front with Dan Lozano," said Melvin. "I said, `Dan, I just made a two-year offer to Craig Counsell. He got a little bent out of shape.

"I told Danny I had been waiting and waiting and waiting. I waited all weekend and never heard back. I got a little bit concerned that it was dragging a little bit. I figured they had something else for Tony."

(My comment, serves Graffanino's agent right for dragging his heels and holding out for a better offer.)
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this deal. counsell will (hopefully) be a backup there, and so he'll get some better stats. he gets to go home (and he gets to play for a team i'm rather partial to). he makes some good money. az gets a first rounder. it really worked out well for everyone except tony graffanino.

i just hope counsell comes back to az as a coach someday.
ncdbackfan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell is one of my favorite D-backs of all time. A great guy who played his ass off everyday. I'm happy for Couns and wish him much success as he closes out his career.
Dan
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsel is the kind of player that coaches love to reference. He hustles, fundamentally sound, and modest in an era of "showmanship" rather than sportsmanship.

I, too, wish nothing but the best to CC and his family. Thank you for your time as a Diamondback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: