Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dodgers crying Wolf?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Dodgers crying Wolf? Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6210860

Quote:
The Dodgers, seeking to protect themselves against the possible loss of free-agent right-hander Greg Maddux, are the front-runners to sign free-agent left-hander Randy Wolf, FOXSports.com has learned...

Wolf, 30, has informed at least one of his suitors that he is close to signing with another club. Rival executives say that club is the Dodgers, and the proposed deal is believed to be for one year with a club option for 2008.

Other teams, including Wolf's previous club, the Phillies, likely are offering longer contracts. But Wolf, a native of Canoga Park, Ca., who attended Pepperdine, evidently is willing to accept less of a guarantee to return home to southern California.
Otacon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Maddux, from the good guys at Rotoworld.com:

Quote:
Since negotiations with the Dodgers haven't gone as planned, Greg Maddux isn't ruling out rejoining the Cubs.

"No, man, I haven’t decided anything yet," Maddux said. "I think you leave all your options open and then make a decision based on what’s best for you personally." Maddux would prefer to stay on the West Coast, if not with the Dodgers then perhaps with the Padres. However, he could consider some other NL teams in his quest for a two-year deal. "Chicago was great. I mean, if you can’t have fun playing baseball in Chicago, you can’t have fun anywhere," he said. "I think I know where I want to go and what I want to do, but hey, somebody has to offer you a job."
Source: Arlington Heights Daily Herald

They say he's looking for a Mussina/Glavine type of deal. 2 years, 22 million or so. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otacon wrote:
Speaking of Maddux, from the good guys at Rotoworld.com:

Quote:
Since negotiations with the Dodgers haven't gone as planned, Greg Maddux isn't ruling out rejoining the Cubs.

"No, man, I haven’t decided anything yet," Maddux said. "I think you leave all your options open and then make a decision based on what’s best for you personally." Maddux would prefer to stay on the West Coast, if not with the Dodgers then perhaps with the Padres. However, he could consider some other NL teams in his quest for a two-year deal. "Chicago was great. I mean, if you can’t have fun playing baseball in Chicago, you can’t have fun anywhere," he said. "I think I know where I want to go and what I want to do, but hey, somebody has to offer you a job."
Source: Arlington Heights Daily Herald

They say he's looking for a Mussina/Glavine type of deal. 2 years, 22 million or so. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Greg's available past performance stats while pitching at Chase Field/BOB in 50 IP:
1.62 WHIP, .320 BAA, 5.40 ERA, 15 BB, 38 K (and for any Cy Young voters reading this, 0-5 W-L). This does not appear to be the stadium that brings out the best in Maddux.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Otacon was referring to was that Maddux was insane thinking he'll get a 2yr/22Mil contract. I guess we'll see just how crazy this market is.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Dodgers add starter in ex-Phillie Wolf
Posted: Monday November 27, 2006 3:30PM;
Updated: Monday November 27, 2006 3:34PM

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

Free agent lefthander Randy Wolf has agreed to a one-year, $8 million deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers, SI.com has learned.

The Dodgers, acting quickly in a tough free-agent market, are also looking at free-agent pitchers Greg Maddux and Jason Schmidt. Maddux, who is being sought by the Padres as well, is seeking a two-year deal. Schmidt, one of the top two free-agent pitchers (along with Barry Zito) on the market, is expected to draw interest from several teams, including the Mariners and Cubs.

Wolf, 69-60 overall, was 4-0 last year for the Phillies after returning from Tommy John surgery. While several teams showed interest, Wolf, a Canoga Park, Calif., native, made it clear he wanted to pitch for the Dodgers.

It is believed his contract calls for a $9 million option for 2008.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't sign Schmidt or Zito.

Short term, signing Schmidt or Zito would definitely give the Dodgers the upper hand in 2007. It would probably hurt them in the long run though, depending on contract length

Schmidt, Penny, Lowe, Wolf

Zito, Penny, Lowe, Wolf

Either way, thats a pretty damn good rotation, even if Schmidt is declining and Zito isn't really "elite"

Maddux on the other hand was on his last legs.....he will never have a league average season again. Mark my words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: