Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Estrada Gone, Doug Davis in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan7484
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Eveland had a rotation spot handed to him early in the season because of injuries to other pitchers (Helling, Sheets, Ohka) and proceeded to bomb. He got five starts in May/June and seemed to get worse everytime out. The strike outs say he's got a helluvan arm, but his conditioning and mental make-up say something else entirely. Bartolo Colon and David Wells were able to not be in the best of shape and still win, but both of them are competitive as hell. From what I've heard about Eveland, he hasn't exhibited that fire at the major league level yet. Maybe Price can get it out of him.

DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
MAY 13 NYM 0 0 9.53 0 5.2 7 6 3 4
MAY 18 PHI 0 0 8.44 0 5.0 7 4 4 6
MAY 23 @CIN 0 1 8.22 0 4.2 8 4 2 7
MAY 28 @PHI 0 1 7.97 0 5.0 6 4 1 4
JUN 02 WSH 0 1 8.51 0 4.0 6 5 3 5

This is true, but you have to keep in mind that he was a 22 year old this past year. He did struggle a bit, but he is still a lefty with a very good arm.
He's a good guy to take a chance on.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Eveland had a rotation spot handed to him early in the season because of injuries to other pitchers (Helling, Sheets, Ohka) and proceeded to bomb. He got five starts in May/June and seemed to get worse everytime out. The strike outs say he's got a helluvan arm, but his conditioning and mental make-up say something else entirely. Bartolo Colon and David Wells were able to not be in the best of shape and still win, but both of them are competitive as hell. From what I've heard about Eveland, he hasn't exhibited that fire at the major league level yet.

ESPN lists Eveland at 6'1" and 260 lbs.

With Dana and Livan we may be collecting guys that eat a lot more than just innings.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I thought the Brewers "raped" the Dbacks in the Sexson trade, but I definitely thought they got more than value in return, and was not shy about posting it (I also said I thought Richie would only play one year in AZ and then sign with Seattle--something that had been intimated to me by a mutual acquaintance).

The Sexson trade is the reason I first came to the old AZ Central board (to see what the competition was saying, and because Riche, like me, is a Portland boy). I'd seen Overbay in the coast league for a couple years and loved his hitting approach. I also attended a Triple-A game where Capuano threw a two-hit shut out, so I had a good feeling about him as well. I actually was higher on De La Rosa than was warranted, and thought Moeller would produce more. Spivey and Counsell were salary dumps, but I thought each was better than what Milwaukee already had. It just seemed like way too much for essentially one big bat.

Last edited by David B on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
"With the addition of Doug we have three perennial 200-inning guys who more often than not are lower ERA guys," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said. "I think our rotation is really stabilized at the top and we have some good intriguing younger pitchers to battle for the other two spots."

Sounds like this could be the last SP deal from Josh this off-season.

I read that quote too TAP. I was hoping that it was a Jedi mind trick or misquote and not an indication that JB will not pursue another SP.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
With Dana and Livan we may be collecting guys that eat a lot more than just innings.

Maybe it's the...

foulpole wrote:
... CGarcia... on Eva Longoria's nekkid butt.

Syndrome???

[/quote]
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diamondbacks don't look to be under the gun to make more deals, and that's a good position to be in. But during this offseason they will not stop pursuing trades that could further help the team. If a good opportunity comes along to improve the team, how could Josh Byrnes ignore it? I expect to see other moves before the offseason wheeling and dealing is over.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you Tucson Dbacks fan. J. Byrnes made the one move he had to make--get Estrada off the roster (for a number of reasons) and add a top three starting pitcher (preferably a lefty). Anything else he does now will be from a position of strength.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:
TAP wrote:
"With the addition of Doug we have three perennial 200-inning guys who more often than not are lower ERA guys," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said. "I think our rotation is really stabilized at the top and we have some good intriguing younger pitchers to battle for the other two spots."

I read that quote too TAP. I was hoping that it was a Jedi mind trick or misquote and not an indication that JB will not pursue another SP.

I don't think we'll see that 'Legitimate No. 2 Starter®' until 2008. After Livan leaves. I wonder if JB will try to lock-up DD for 3 years? And when? Confused
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan,

I haven't read BA about Eveland and have hardly ever been to the site. I stand by my statement that his slider is his better pitch. He has 4 good pitches, so if 2 are plus, that's very good. And if you want to judge his prospect status by his 60 MLB innings instead of his 380 minor league innings, there's not much more I'll have to say about him. There's more to the kid than the fat. I don't think he's ace material (nobody does), but he's more than a throw-in. Especially when he won't even make his one millionth dollar until 2008.
TSWINDERS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen both Dana and Krynzel many times both from Tucson and from Birmingham.

First Eveland: Fastball that he changes speeds with I have his readings from 85-92 in the May 14th outing. Eveland also has a + Slider that K'd Quentin on. Eveland also has a decent curve as well. I was very impressed from what I saw of him in the 4 games.

Krynzel: Below average hitter and little power. His speed though ranks with the likes of Callaspo and Young. Krynzel also is a good base stealer and a terrific CF. One moment I will never forget was September 11th 2003, SL Division Series with Bham and Huntsville with Huntsville trailing the best of 5 2-1 but leading the game 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th when a Baron player with the tying run at 2nd hit a rocket to the 415' sign in CF. Krynzel while running at full speed leaped and slammed into the wall he somehow held on for the 3rd out if he drops that ball the Barons win the series but he held on and the Stars won both that game and the next.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

I thought that I read an article that had a different quote than AP. The D-Backs website has...

""If three starting pitchers can pitch nearly half our innings, it makes it easier on the other pitchers to do their jobs," Byrnes said. "We have a chance to have that happen. That's a good way for us to build our rotation, particularly with six, seven young guys behind them to compete for jobs.""

It's a small difference but doesn't close the door on other additions.

link
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we keep Byrnes, there isn't much money left to go after another starter <maybe 4MM>. If we trade Byrnes we can get a Wolf type off of the rack, which would be nice.

I wonder if anything comes from the Foulke rumors <aging as they are>?
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
If we keep Byrnes, there isn't much money left to go after another starter <maybe 4MM>. If we trade Byrnes we can get a Wolf type off of the rack, which would be nice.

That's why I'm on board with the "trade Byrnes" battle cry now. See the Byrnes vs. Hairston thread...
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all on that bandwagon and it seems Byrnes value has risen substantially since we started that thread. I'm anxious to see JB's next move.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are we done? Not interested in Wolf anymore?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have to deal with Julio <whom I assume we will be trading> and either Hairston/Byrnes, at the very least.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
We still have to deal with Julio <whom I assume we will be trading> and either Hairston/Byrnes, at the very least.

I was just talking starting pitching - are we done with wolf? should we be? I mean, if we were interested in him before this trade, why not continue?

webb
Davis
Livan
Wolf
Edgar

valverde
cruz
viscaino
enrique (maybe Lyon)
Slaten
Pena
Edit - Meddars prob goes here

or something of the like - wouldnt be too bad...

Last edited by qudjy1 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have time I can say a little more. Once again Byrnes does what we like about him: trading from an area of strength and getting undervalued players. Another great thing is that there wasn't a peep about this trade, like most of his moves it came out of nowhere.

I think we can close the book on Wolf now but who knows.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:

But he's a Foulke'n former closer, not a Foulke'n starter.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
I don't think we'll see that 'Legitimate No. 2 Starter®' until 2008. After Livan leaves. I wonder if JB will try to lock-up DD for 3 years? And when? Confused

If we deal Byrnes it may free up enough to chase another quality starter. Not a Schmidt but maybe a Wolf type???
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt this deal save us money? Basically Estrada and Davis were going to make about the same, just now we wont have to worry about what an arbitrator would give vargas...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who knew Cappy would be what he has become. Same with Overbay.

Most of the regulars from the AZ Central board that were the genesis of this board knew. Specifically I damn near broke my steering wheel in my truck pounding on it when I heard on the radio Capuano got included in the deal. Yeah....we knew. Sad
casey1992
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more on Eveland's history...

Dana was a reliever in his first season (2003) in the Pioneer League. That year, relieving may have been a way to get his feet wet.

He relieved 6 times (vs. 16 starts) in Beloit in 2004, but I don't know how much can be read into that. The Brewers have been known to use a piggy-back system at times in the low minors. He finished the season with 4 starts at Huntsville.

Dana was brought up to relieve in the majors in 2005 after having fine success as a starter at AA Huntsville. His callup was a surprise to a lot of people on the message boards.

As usual, the Brewers needed some bullpen help. Some suggested that because Dana had 109 innings under his belt by early July, finishing off the season in the major league bullpen would be a way to keep his innings down. This might be more of a message board assumption than anything that came officially from the Brewers.

Dana's 2005 AFL stint didn't go well. I don't recall if there was an injury involved, but he did leave before the season was done. I'm inclined to blame the Brewers for the AFL thing, though. 4 players who spent time in the majors were slated to go there. One (Hardy) was scratched before the AFL campaign started. Two others (Eveland and Fielder) left before the season ended. I think these guys were simply burned out from a seven month season. Most AFLers get a bit of a break before playing again.

Here's the lengthy trade discussion on Brewerfan.net, currently at 244 posts.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey....welcome

I have long wished you would join this forum.
This guy is a great poster guys.
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard Casey.

I dont know anything about Krynzel.
But from what i read, he reminds me of another good prospect gone BUST.

Krynzel is similar to Luis Terrero. He also has speed but lacked in offense.
We just hope Krynzel will be more than that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: