Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Buccos interested in Tracy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
McCray wrote:
mods, can someone fix the long link? scrolling right and left is driving me mad.

Fixed! It was driving me mad last night but I couldn't fix it. The link was so effed that only part of it was getting put in the code. Today I remembered to try tinyurl.

Damn levski and his long links!

Hey, I'm just being lazy, all right? Geez.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
im amazed how fast a player can fall..........he was real good in 05 playing positions he never played or like....moving back to his "natural" position he would explode in 06, as well all know he was a disappointment last year and now we are talking about trading him for pitching......funny how things work......

What's funny is that Tracy as a player didn't move very much. He shifted up and shifted down. What moved was the perspective of incredibly reactionary people.

I mean really, going from .285/.343/.407 to .308/.359/.557 to .281/.343/.451 pretty much consists of a power spike year with a little plexiglass principle.

This actually is getting worse as people are becoming more familiar with our minor league system. Look at all of the people ready to dub Barden (a 26 year old who hasn't gotten out of AAA) and Callaspo ( a guy with 29 career professional HRs) to replace him. Of course if these people got their way and Barden and Callaspo fail miserably at the 3B position they'll be the first ones speaking "We need a change at 3B!" It's boarderline hysteria.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
What's funny is that Tracy as a player didn't move very much. He shifted up and shifted down. What moved was the perspective of incredibly reactionary people.

I mean really, going from .285/.343/.407 to .308/.359/.557 to .281/.343/.451 pretty much consists of a power spike year with a little plexiglass principle.

This actually is getting worse as people are becoming more familiar with our minor league system. Look at all of the people ready to dub Barden (a 26 year old who hasn't gotten out of AAA) and Callaspo ( a guy with 29 career professional HRs) to replace him. Of course if these people got their way and Barden and Callaspo fail miserably at the 3B position they'll be the first ones speaking "We need a change at 3B!" It's boarderline hysteria.

I'm with you on the first part, I agree that many (including myself) are being to reactionary about Tracy.

This year leads me to believe that he is more likely the player from 2004 and 2006 than 2005. For the most part, I can handle his hitting. I'd like a better hitter there but whatever, 3B is lower on my checklist of things to resolve this offseason. However, I am not opposed to trading him at all and I think if we could trade him for a middle of the rotation starter that is an excellent trade.

I have no faith in Barden for the obvious reasons. I unerstand that Callaspo won't be able to replace Tracy's power but I think it's possible that he could match Tracy's OBP skills. Do you think Callaspo can play much better defense than Tracy? If so, can that along with the better pitching staff make a trade justifiable? Is it wishfull thinking that Tracy alone could get a middle of the rotation starter?
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my view is that, if Tracy is traded, i would hope there would be a FA solution at 3B that could work out... In other words..

Huff/Feliz/Ensberg at 6-8M per
and
Gorz - 300K?

would be better than

Tracy at 3M
and
FA pitcher at 10-12M or Enrique Gonzalez as our 3 pitcher

Tracy is easier to replace than young, cheap pitching...

I hope that makes sense..

That being said.. I would be much happier to see Byrnes traded...
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I guess my view is that, if Tracy is traded, i would hope there would be a FA solution at 3B that could work out... In other words..

Huff/Feliz/Ensberg at 6-8M per
and
Gorz - 300K?

well, Feliz is true monstrocity with the bat, the ultimate braindead caribbean swinging at slop. pass. huff cannot play 3b. period. and the buccos are sure to overpay him to play 1b for them. finally, ensberg isn't even a free agent.

does that answer your question?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the pitchers we'd be getting from the Pirates be a lot better than what we can expect from the best of Nippert & the Gonz's?
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
im amazed how fast a player can fall..........he was real good in 05 playing positions he never played or like....moving back to his "natural" position he would explode in 06, as well all know he was a disappointment last year and now we are talking about trading him for pitching......funny how things work......

In my post, I was discussing ideas of a Tracy trade because that is the topic in this thread. I hope that we keep Tracy and he keeps up his production on offense. I also really hope that he can improve his D next year. But if we have to trade someone, it should be a corner infield position (aside from Estrada, that is). I doubt we will trade any of our starting outfielders, nor will we trade Drew or Hudson. What is left is Tracy and Jackson. 1st base is the easiest to replace. Jackson is younger and appears to have a better eye. Tracy would likely gather more in a trade than Jackson, at this point.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well, Feliz is true monstrocity with the bat, the ultimate braindead caribbean swinging at slop. pass. huff cannot play 3b. period. and the buccos are sure to overpay him to play 1b for them. finally, ensberg isn't even a free agent.

does that answer your question?

While i dont disagree, the real question i was asking is whether or not it is easier to find an available 3B, vs finding young, cheap, Starting Pitching...

I did know Ensberg would have to be a trade (i think they have lamb starting at 3rd in 2007), and Huff has been pretty decent at 3B(As far as f% goes anyway
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Huff has been pretty decent at 3B(As far as f% goes anyway

Levski only values Dials ratings. Wink
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Levski only values Dials ratings.

hehe... i have no misconception that Huff is going to be a GG 3B... just that he could be adequate, and maybe better than tracy on D...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did some comparison shopping

Code:
         Inn     F%    ZR    RF
Huff     2504   .943  .745  2.58
Tracy    2339   .935  .774  2.78

BP's stats

AdjG   Rate   RAR    RAA
Huff     284.2  96     16     -11
Tracy    261.5  94      9     -15

The fielding stats don't tell us much here. They look more or less the same, although Tracy's zone rating is considerably better, they are more or less a push. Neither looks all that good.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, and he will make a lot more than Tracy next year.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty tough scenario for us. We have Tracy playing his 2nd best defensive position to allow Jackson to play the only position he can, but Jackson isn't nearly as good at 1B as Tracy is, and isn't good enough to handle 3rd, either. For all the talk about defensive inadequacies directed at Tracy, he's a far superior defensive player than Jackson is.

At the plate, Tracy has been a .300 hitter his entire life, with decent gap power and seems to be developing a HR stroke a bit. This past season was atrocious, but what if that was the growing pain he went through so he could eventually be a raging power hitter that rakes? He's always been a good contact hitter, and that doesn't just go away unless there's been a shift in approach.

I'd hate for us to trade Tracy, one of our own guys, at the lowest value of his career, and watch him turn into a +.290 ba, .875-.900 ops, 35 HR's, and 110 rbi's for Pittsburgh.

Also, and this was just a thought I had given the salary structure, etc. Does anybody else think that Tracy was "stickin with what got him there" until he got some real guaranteed money, and once that occurred he shifted his approach to be more power oriented to garner the bigger money at the next contractual step? It seems that this might actually be good for us - let Tracy work on being a power hitter for two years while we're rebuilding, then in '08 when we're making a push, Tracy is the three-eyed monster at the plate that we need.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Tracy made a conscious effort to hit with more power because

A.) After his 2005 season he felt he could

B.) When he looked around him in the lineup, and saw Glaus was gone, and Gonzo's stroke was going wimpy, he might be the only power source in the lineup.

I think this was his effort to "step up" and it backfired.

Tracy simply needs to stop trying to pull everything. He is not a real 35 homer guy. It's not impossible that he could develop into that.....sure....we have seen plenty of guys change their game. But after watching him for 3 seasons now I feel like I finally have a handle on who he is and what his upside is, and long term, it's just does not appear to me he is a .900 OPS guy. He looks and feels more like .850, with an occasional spike up near .900

Jackson got ALOT better at first over the course of the season, and is better than most people think. The gap between Tracy and Jackson at first base is not all that great.....and the value of that gap is even less.

Jackson is a better hitter than Tracy. I am 100% sure of it. He will probably post a superior OPS in 2007, and for sure, from 2008 onwards. And of course he will be cheaper longer.

Right now this team does not have an adequate replacement for Tracy at 3rd. If the D Backs could trade Byrnes or Estrada to Houston for Morgan Ensberg, AND they could get good pitching back for Tracy, that is something that might work.

Feliz and Huff are not good options, as they will be too expensive for the value they can bring. Feliz makes too many outs, and Huff is no better than Tracy at 3rd and will cost alot more.

My conclusion, despite all my bitching about Tracy's Defense and his strikeouts, is that they need to hold on to him, AND Jackson, and absolutely need to trade Byrnes for pitching, since we can replace Byrnes in LF much easier, and he is overated anyway.
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Also, and this was just a thought I had given the salary structure, etc. Does anybody else think that Tracy was "stickin with what got him there" until he got some real guaranteed money, and once that occurred he shifted his approach to be more power oriented to garner the bigger money at the next contractual step? It seems that this might actually be good for us - let Tracy work on being a power hitter for two years while we're rebuilding, then in '08 when we're making a push, Tracy is the three-eyed monster at the plate that we need.

I blame his agent.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to further illustrate how much better a hitter Jackson is than Tracy

Minors

Tracy 1327 AB, .853 OPS

Jackson 1074 AB 953 OPS

Thats 100 points of OPS difference.

Majors:

Tracy's Rookie season .750 OPS
Jackson's Rookie Season .805 OPS

Now of course Tracy had the big 2005 with the 912 OPS, but then he dropped all the way down to 778 in 2006. His career OPS to date is .818

He is better than his 2006, but not as good as his 2005. The real Chad Tracy is somewhere in between.

Jackson was better in the minors, better inhis rookie year, and we saw him really making the adjustments and feeling more and more comfortable as the season wound down.

As his power continues to develop, combined with his already superior on base skills, Jackson will be a much bigger threat to reach or even top .900 OPS in multiple seasons.

Now....I am off to the dentist.......lucky me Sad
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

I blame his agent.

I blame Aldrete, BoMel, and Matt Williams. Laughing

How you bat Gonz 4th and Tracy third, and watch Gonz flail in risp, while teams weren't throwing Tracy strikes...ugh..don't get me started....won't even go into the loogy central without the split on those two. ugh...My blood pressure, get me the nitro pills....
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My conclusion, despite all my bitching about Tracy's Defense and his strikeouts, is that they need to hold on to him, AND Jackson, and absolutely need to trade Byrnes for pitching, since we can replace Byrnes in LF much easier, and he is overated anyway.

I agree that trading byrnes is the best scenario..

however, lets say for sake of argument that the offers for Byrnes are not good at all... and the only pithcing you are going to get for him is a mid level P prospect (my opinion on what byrnes is worth on the trade market). Where does that leave us? Is there a team (phillies?) that need both estrada and byrnes? not sure what extra that buys us..

I think my opinion still stands, that if tracy is the key to getting a young cheap pitcher, i am willing to part with him, under the premise, that there are guys out there we can somewhat replace tracy with.. Padres had a hole at 3rd all year (branyan, blum, etc)..

You overpay less for a 3B than you overpay for pitching... IN Gorz's case, control for 4 more years, sub 4 era.. what would he get if he was a FA?
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, before Ensberg or Huff, we should look at Hammock at third, who might be coming into his own power wise. He's always been a good athelete, and has soft hands, if this is going on.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
I blame Aldrete, BoMel, and Matt Williams. Laughing

[OffTopic]
Anybody else notice that Matt Williams was one of the judges on the Mrs. America Pageant last night? My wife hijacked the wide-screen TV last night, so I was obligated to offer my expert opinion on which mommas were the hottest. Very Happy

I told her that Matt was eminently qualified as judge, having been married to three "10's" himself. Wink
[/OffTopic]
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about 3B replacements if they were to trade Tracy and looked briefly at Beltre and was a bit shocked to see how highly his defense was rated. I believe he finished 3rd on the GG rating.

I'm not suggesting that he's a possibility <he's owed 36MM over the next 3 years> but it was interesting to see how highly his D was rated.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
I was thinking about 3B replacements if they were to trade Tracy and looked briefly at Beltre and was a bit shocked to see how highly his defense was rated. I believe he finished 3rd on the GG rating.

I'm not suggesting that he's a possibility <he's owed 36MM over the next 3 years> but it was interesting to see how highly his D was rated.

beltre would be a pretty nice buy-low candidate if the mariners would eat a big chuck of his salary...

sexson, on the other hand, is sunk cost. we should all be glad he didn't resign with arizona
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beltre is a terrific defensive third baseman, but a really shitty hitter.

I was surprised to see Morgan Ensberg is going to be 31 next year. (At levski's prompting, I have been looking at him more lately)
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
sexson, on the other hand, is sunk cost. we should all be glad he didn't resign with arizona

There's a chance that son of sex may soon be a former Mariner too.

Larry Larue / The News Tribune (Tacoma) wrote:
“We’ve gotten a lot of interest in Adrian, a little less in Richie, but teams are calling about both,” Mariners GM Bill Bavasi said as the meetings broke up a day ahead of schedule. “Would I trade them? I’ll never say never.

Jeff Zreiec / Baltimore Sun wrote:
If the Orioles are unable to get a bat through free agency, they could also explore one in a trade. The Seattle Mariners' Richie Sexson and the Cincinnati Reds' Adam Dunn are among the players who might be available at the right price.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Beltre is a terrific defensive third baseman, but a really shitty hitter.

park factors.

ensberg is nice, but as you point out, getting old. and he's rather fragile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: