Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
anal mods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Site Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: anal mods Reply with quote

let's see...i post something about Gil being traded just to alert everyone, and i post it in the area where a huge percentage of browsers seem to browse (compared to the farm area) just so you don't miss the blurb, and i wind up being shot down again. what the you-know-what is up w/ you guys? are you so anal that you lock a thread cuz the guy, technically, is no longer w/ the team? and just check the number of browsers looking at the farm section compared to the team section. if i hadn't seen the Gil blurb on azcentral i probably never woulda heard about it, since i don't always look at the farm section.
and, in my op, Gil WAS a part of the team, having seen time in the bigs, and it is interesting that he's been dealt.
if you guys want more people posting and reading, you might want to lighten up a bit.
i'm sure somebody's gonna feel offended and will grill me for this, or even delete this thread altogether...but this is the 2nd time this has happened. the first was when i posted in the team section (oh, horrers) about the baseball stats show on the sci channel that night.

oh, i understand organization. being anal about it goes too far...especially when most folks don't bother to check other areas.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

"anal mods"?

So, what kind of sex-related products are you selling?

Fair is fair; the Gil trade was in the Farm section; no need running two threads. And you're making it sound as if the Dbacks have acquired Roy Oswalt and no one is letting you break the story. It's Jerry Fn Gil...
Me and Frenchy walk a ton.

And Tony Pena cuts in line...
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis thread belongs in the site info area... geez...

I personally dont agree with golfer... organization is here for a reason. In this case, gil being traded could have been in either location. THe problem was, that when you posted one in the team news section, the other thread was alreaday 4-5 posts deep. Look at the times... two threads with the same topic is more annoying than a little organization..

How do you know Team news gets more traffic. I would agree that it has more topics, but that is just because the topic itself has a broader reach.

DOnt change a thing mods... you are doing great...
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
LOL

"anal mods"?

So, what kind of sex-related products are you selling?

Fair is fair; the Gil trade was in the Farm section; no need running two threads. And you're making it sound as if the Dbacks have acquired Roy Oswalt and no one is letting you break the story. It's Jerry Fn Gil...

my point, exactly. i usually don't look in the farm section, so i didn't notice the gil thread there.
i just think it's kinda ridiculous, really, when something of news value to us gets slammed cuz it's in the alleged wrong thread.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the moderator who locked the thread, I suppose it is appropriate for me to reply.

Jerry Gil played a total of 29 games for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2004. He has not played major league baseball since that time. In fact, he spent the 2006 season with the Diamondbacks AA affiliate. To me -- and it was a judgment call on my part -- this does not qualify him as a Diamondback, but as a player in the farm system. Thus, it is not "Team News" -- it is "Farm Implements."

Not only that: Your message was posted almost four hours after the news of the trade appeared in the "Farm Implements" forum. We try to avoid running multiple threads on the same subject; and it is usually the second thread that is locked down.

There was nothing personal in locking down "your" thread. If there was something sinister about this, your thread could have been deleted entirely. It wasn't -- and it was used to direct people to the appropriate location so they could read and comment -- which accomplishes your stated intention of bringing it to people's attention...

As for what forums you read, do you really think it is reasonable to insist that everyone conform to the way you read the list? C'mon, dude! Expand your horizons! Read the other forums!

And you're right, qudjy1 -- this does belong in the "Site Info" forum, and not here. So guess what? I'm gonna lock down this one, as well -- and those who wish to pursue the policies followed by moderators should continue the conversation there.

And now, if y'all will excuse me, I have to go to work.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1golfer1, we love ya, but chill pill man. Wink

Organization of threads keeps this place from looking willy-nilly like azcentral where it was impossible to sort through threads looking for a particular topic and multiple threads on the same subject were commonplace.

TEAM NEWS section is not a repository for all threads, and believe it or not, most of us do look in the various sections. Certainly those that would have any interest in Jerry Gil would take the time to look in the FARM section.
Stuart
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, smoke a peace pipe, this aint the official mlb board ya know Cool
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's worth creating a "Breaking News" forum, which would be a one-stop shop for all items like this, whether it concerns major leaguers, prospects, management, broadcasters, or whatever? This would reduce the chances of multiple threads being posted with the same info, and provide a single point of reference for hot news.

If so, it might be worth mods subsequently moving the thread - say, 48 hours after creation - to the appropriate location. That way, the forum would usually be empty, making it immediately obvious to all when a new thread has been created in it.

Thoughts?
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
I wonder if it's worth creating a "Breaking News" forum, which would be a one-stop shop for all items like this, whether it concerns major leaguers, prospects, management, broadcasters, or whatever? This would reduce the chances of multiple threads being posted with the same info, and provide a single point of reference for hot news.

If so, it might be worth mods subsequently moving the thread - say, 48 hours after creation - to the appropriate location. That way, the forum would usually be empty, making it immediately obvious to all when a new thread has been created in it.

Thoughts?

Great idea! That would allow the newsworthy items to have a special place in the spotlight for a time; and then each individual thread will be moved into a place where it will be easier for the archivists to find and use.

Can't say that we aren't responsive to the needs and desires of our members!!! Wink
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golfer,

I don't agree with your reasoning, but I wanted to say that you should continue to voice your concerns - reasonably, as you've always done. If nobody polices the police... well, you know. I think it's good for the long-term health of the board to voice questions, concerns and ideas about DBBP. Just don't expect everyone else to agree every single time.

Jim, I could understand the reasoning for having such a forum, but I don't see the need. I could easily see it becoming a catch-all. After all, isn't any news we share here "breaking" news the first time it's posted here? Plus, it would create additional work for the mods. And nobody wants that. Smile
jimbo4net
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:

Thoughts?

Excellent idea Jim!
This would cut down the guess work of where a breaking news post is located.

I must admit, when I heard the news of Gil being traded, I looked in the team news section first. Read Golfer's post and then saw the other reference in the Farm Section.
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...i can't seem to stay away...this is the only place i can get the kind of stuff i want to read about the dbacks...i can't even read, let alone post, anything on the mlb site, it's so phan infested & completely ruined...
i like the idea of having a breaking news section. that would make this site more enjoyable for most of us, i believe, who check in several times a day to see if anything's breaking. after 24 hours the item could be moved to its alleged proper location within the site to satisfy those who fold their underwear and place it neatly in the underwear drawer.

and, yes, this site is a jillion times better than the mess at mlb... maybe even a gajillion! Smile
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad to see you back, golfer! i had an idea to see if we could solve this:

what if, in every forum, there's a BREAKING NEWS sticky at the top. when something breaks, post it in there, and then post a link to the discussion thread, wherever it is. would that work for all y'alls?
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
what if, in every forum, there's a BREAKING NEWS sticky at the top. when something breaks, post it in there, and then post a link to the discussion thread, wherever it is.

For those that might not know, whenever a registered user logs in, there is a link in the upper-right portion of the screen called NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT. If you click on that, you'll get a linkable list of all new posts since you last logged on.

Also, all sections that have new unread posts are colored tan (orange?) and within those sections, all new unread posts have the same color code.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
what if, in every forum, there's a BREAKING NEWS sticky at the top. when something breaks, post it in there, and then post a link to the discussion thread, wherever it is. would that work for all y'alls?

I don't see how that would work -- on two levels.

First, if breaking news were posted as a "sticky" in each forum, there's nowehere to move it after it ceases to be "breaking news" -- it's already in its forum. Which leads to the second point: some folks don't want to go forum by forum to keep track. Having a separate "Breaking News" forum at the top of the stack would allow those who don't want to browse to see the latest. Any threads there could have a note left once the discussion has been moved to its appropriate forum after a suitable period of time (24 hrs... 48 hrs).

Doesn't everybody get advised of where new posts have been made upon logging in? This works for me... Whenever there's a new post in any given forum, the folder there is a brown color; and it's clear once every thread has been read. Then, when you go into the forum, each thread with new messages in it has a brown folder that turns clear once all the messages have been read. Thus, there's no need for a "Breaking News" forum or similar sticky -- and for those forums (fora?) that are of lower priority, I can read them or not as time/desire allows.

Works for me... Cool
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my op, but a breaking news section would probably get hit 1st by everyone, just to see what's going on. i know that would be the 1st place i checked.
not all of us want or have the time to wade thru all the threads to see what's happening. a 24 hour breaking news thread would kick ass, and if anyone wanted to follow the thread after 24 they'd be directed where to find it.
the nice thing about the mlb is you have, on a single screen, ALL the topics & you can quickly pick & choose from them & completely ignore any started by you-know-who. the not-nice thing about the mlb is all the garbage, which comprises 99% of the mass of the place, which has caused me to avoid it completely. anyway, it's all about the speed of getting to the info.
breaking news would have an immediate & forceful impact on the site. in fact, there could be just a single thread alerting everyone to whatever is up, and directing readers to the proper area within the forum. it's not like the mods aren't working hard now. just try posting something in the wrong sock drawer and see what happens. i got clobbered immediately, and after composing a lengthy response to someone, found i had wasted my time cuz the thread was locked. that was a real pisser, i assure you.
anyway, that's my 2 pence...
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, people will turn it into a catch all.

One last try to explain. There's nothing anal about putting things into the proper thread. To date, there has only been one complaint about that, specifically. And this will be the 3rd time this has been brought up, but using the NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT link will show you everything you've missed since you last logon in one click.

Just my suggestions. I'll go with the majority, as always.
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if we kept the breaking news section to actual breaking news, folks could, at work for example, check that quickly, then be directed to where the responses are in the site. just leave it up for 18 hours, even. we have enuff real people here to post breaking news only in that area.
i think it'd be great! especially when checking from work!
Driaz
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents, but I really like how the board is organized. I read all the forums, and if the majority of folks want to add a breaking news forum, I'd read that as well. I tend to agree with Oden that it would become a catch all, and instead of the posters trying to logically determine which forum is the most appropriate for a particular post to be made, everyone would post on breaking news and then the mods would be responsible for moving posts all over.

Golfer, you really need to use the New Posts Since last visit, because it is exactly what you are asking for. It gives you a chronoligical list of all threads on any forum that have been posted on since the last time you logged on. You can quickly scan through the list and see if there is anything newsworthy you want to check out, without having to check all the different forums. Give it a try, I think it's exactly the type of overall list perspective you desire. Smile
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Driaz
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...you might be right. i clicked on it & it had a nice list of posts. maybe that would work for someone as challenged as i seem to be! Smile
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn that I posted on this thread but I guess not. I don't like the idea of a breaking news section. My reasons are the same as Driaz and Oden
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz wrote:
Just my two cents, but I really like how the board is organized. I read all the forums, and if the majority of folks want to add a breaking news forum, I'd read that as well. I tend to agree with Oden that it would become a catch all, and instead of the posters trying to logically determine which forum is the most appropriate for a particular post to be made, everyone would post on breaking news and then the mods would be responsible for moving posts all over.

...which they clearly have had to do anyway. Confused I think, if properly used, a breaking news forum, with well thought-out guidelines on its use, would work - and also save the mods work, by helping prevent duplicate or misplaced threads. We see those virtually every time genuine news happens. It would also avoid posters needing to decide, for example whether Jerry Gil's trade counts as Team News or Farm Implements.

I do see the danger of it becoming a catch-all though; one way around that might be to make it that only mods get to start threads in the Breaking News forum - they move the canonical thread INTO that section when something happens (then back out when it's no longer news, though that'd be more work).
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or, on the sign in screen or wherever, make the 'view latest posts' click-on a whole lot bigger and say something like: "latest news & posts".... whereupon one would be further directed as is the case now. now, even a dummy like me could figure that one out.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could have made a new thread for this, but i like the "anal mods" title.

evidently, a few posters at the mlb board say they've been having trouble connecting to the server here. i've had that occasionally, but refreshing seems to fix it. just thought i'd make you aware of this, oh fair and noble lord of our realm.

(bows curteously, scuttles away)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Site Info All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: