Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NLCS Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:
Its called divine providence, Mr. O'dowd is referring too. Cool. God exists, even in baseball. Especially in baseball.

So let me get this straight. God chooses not to intervene in man's wars and other numerous atrocities, but he will take an active role in determining the outcome of a baseball game?

That is absurd.

It is not professing belief in the existence of God and Jesus Christ as the son of God that people take objection to. It's this:

Quote:

"You look at some of the games we're winning. Those aren't just a coincidence. God has definitely had a hand in this."

I could go on and on about this but I'll keep my mouth shut.
B. O. N. D.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let my signature do the talking. Laughing

That's a young Mark Reynolds, BTW.

"God helps those who help themselves." --Benjamin Franklin

"He who trusts in himself is a fool..." --Prov 28:26

You do the math. Rolling Eyes
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ESPN.com's live chat tonight....

Jeff (Denver): You know Coors Field actually stores the balls at 50% humidity to make the balls heavier, to even out the playing field with the thin air.

ROB NEYER: Yeah, we know. The humidor apparently has turned Coors from one of the best hitter's parks in history to merely one of the best in the National League.
- 2008 World Champions
Hank
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so game 1 sucked, and DD needs to step up. If he does, and this thing can be 1-1 going to Denver, we of course know Livan will get shelled because he is Livan and totally sucks. What a cool opportunity for Micah to pitch, down 2-1, with a chance to put the D-backs back in the series with Webb on the mound for game 5. I think he would do well if it comes to that.

Misterx, you're only dead to me during Spurs games.
ncdbackfan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Okay, so game 1 sucked, and DD needs to step up. If he does, and this thing can be 1-1 going to Denver, we of course know Livan will get shelled because he is Livan and totally sucks. What a cool opportunity for Micah to pitch, down 2-1, with a chance to put the D-backs back in the series with Webb on the mound for game 5. I think he would do well if it comes to that.

Oh ye of little faith. Livan has a 1.54 ERA against the Rockies this year in 35.0 IP (5 starts). Maybe he just has their number, kinda like the Rockies have Webb's number.
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scattered T-storms.

Sunday in Denver. Just a thought but if it gets rained out Webb goes twice more on full rest.
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas splits on roof conditions

Code:
Split         G   PA   AB   R   H  2B 3B HR  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB CS Pk   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split
Open          14  380  332  43  91 18  1  6  41   2  71   0   7   0   5   8   3  4  4  .274  .354  .389  .742  .333    97    88 Open         
Dome          19  482  418  57 120 22  3 15  54   5  73   5   3   2   2  15   3  2  3  .287  .374  .462  .835  .316   123   110 Dome

Code:
Split         G  GS GF  W  L  S CG SHO   IP    ERA   H   R   ER HR  BB IBB  SO HBP
Open          14 14  0  5  8  0  0   0  85.2   3.68  91  43  35  6  41   2  71   0
Dome          19 19  0  8  4  0  0   0 107     4.71 120  57  56 15  54   5  73   5

Roof scheduled to be open this evening.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

National notes from various sources on last nights fans.

Rockies reliever Brian Fuentes, who said it was equally bad in right field, where his team's bullpen is. "It didn't show very much class. ... Usually, I would expect that out of Shea [Stadium] or Philly."

"In the Dominican, they throw Brugal [rum] bottles, which are glass," said Arizona left fielder Eric Byrnes, a veteran of the Dominican winter leagues. "It's a common occurrence down there. I've been hit with one. [Tonight] may have been a little overreacting."

the new-look Arizona fans, who were more than happy to express their frustration and let the country know that they do have a voice -- even if it comes in the form of flying bottles.

it's OK when A-Rod does it to a rookie (Pedroia) but not OK when a rookie does it to Matsui? Sounds like a typical MLB double standard.

PHOENIX - The Rockies went to the baseball playoffs Thursday night, and an episode of Jerry Springer broke out, complete with a low blow, junk thrown and all the requisite stupid human tricks.

Colorado won a game. A city lost respect.

Way to stay classy, Phoenix.

Called out for interference? Upton should have been penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. Or sent to his room without dinner.

This ballpark has all the charm of a comb-over and all the energy of 93 degrees in the shade. For six innings, spectators sat on their hands, acting as if they would rather be anywhere but here.

Then, when Upton tried to cut off Matsui at the knees, these snake-lovers suddenly wanted to show the Rockies the Bronx?

Eight whole minutes? The Diamondbacks can't even incite a decent riot.

But, as a baseball town, this place is a joke.

The Diamondbacks, with four playoff appearances in the past decade, deserve better than fans who still aren't sure when to cheer unless they want to kill the umps.

Maybe they don't much like baseball in Arizona.

But they sure know how to throw garbage in the desert.

You stay classy, Phoenix.

When the D-backs opened the 2006 season against the Rockies, Byrnes hit eighth in their lineup. These days, he's the proud owner of a three-year, $30 million contract. ...
How did that get in here Laughing
THE SHADOW
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to excuse Diamondback fans because for most of them, last night was the first time they have watched a baseball game.

OUCH.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colorado won a game. A city lost respect.

Way to stay classy, Phoenix.

this shit is soo hypocritical. Judging an entire fan base based on a few dumbasses is moronic, especially when just about every sports town has an episode like this.
xjwheelr
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:

"The ways of a fool are right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who seeks counsell."

- Proverbs 12:15

Translation: good hitting coaches are invaluable! Smile
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:

"The ways of a fool are right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who seeks counsell."

- Proverbs 12:15

Translation: good hitting coaches are invaluable! Smile

I don't know how wise it would be to get Craig Counsell at this point
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I guess there's an even better joke on all the other major league baseball towns right now.

Which franchise has drawn the most fans to their home playoff games to this point?

Anaheim?
New York?
Boston?
Cleveland?
Chicago?
Philadelphia?
Denver?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then I'm afraid you're wrong.
Because this joke of a baseball town just outdrew all the other major league baseball cities in America to the postseason so far!

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Driaz
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorfo57 wrote:
Quote:

I guess there's an even better joke on all the other major league baseball towns right now.

Which franchise has drawn the most fans to their home playoff games to this point?

Anaheim?
New York?
Boston?
Cleveland?
Chicago?
Philadelphia?
Denver?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then I'm afraid you're wrong.
Because this joke of a baseball town just outdrew all the other major league baseball cities in America to the postseason so far!

Question Confused

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

# of home games so far:

Arizona - 4
Anaheim - 1
New York - 2
Boston - 3
Cleveland - 2
Chicago - 1
Philadelphia - 2
Denver - 1

I would hope since we've played more games than anyone else, we would have drawn more fans. Listen, I get frustrated at the national press dissing our fan base as much as anybody, but pulling out a total fan attendance number when we have had more games is a pretty lame attempt at "putting it back in their faces."

After Boston has their 4th home game later today, we will be second, then when we take 2 of 3 in Denver, and they have 4 home games we will be third, and then after Cleveland gets their home games to 4 we will be fourth.....but then, when we win games 6 and 7 we will be first again. Very Happy

The majority of posters on this board bash our casual fan base, and IMHO, most of the complaints are extremely valid. If us local die hards can complain about the attitudes of joe casual fan, why should we be surprised when the national media points it out as well?
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...Fenway Park seats 36k. Their reported attendance tonight was 36,986 (101.3% full)

The Jake sells out at 44,608(102.7% full).

Only Coors Field(50,724 @ 100.5% full) is larger than Chase Field in seating capacity(48,219 @ 98.3% full).

So there was a bit more to my point than basing it on we've had more home games.

Wow. It'll take the Red Sox 6 home games in the post season to surpass what this lousy baseball town drew in 4.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think Micah deserves his turn on Monday regardless if we're down 3-0, 2-1...I'm going with him just cause.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we need 4 out of 5 wins, then I'm going with Webb on short rest, and Webb on full rest. And hoping 2 of the other 3 can get W's. Somehow. The math just got a lot more difficult.

More than the W's and L's, I'm really disappointed with the caliber of our play. Not sharp in general. Such a disappointment coming off the last series.
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Let him have it. Besides, we can't expect Webb to do that well agains the Rockies anyways.
baldmaga
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any need to change the pitching rotation. Webb was off in game 1, but all the hits were merely singles, and most of which were the product of outstanding hitting, or the fact that Webb was getting screwed by the HP umpire, forcing him to throw closer to the sweet spot. Davis pitched an outstanding, albeit, cardiac game. But the offense has been anemic, and is leaving WAY to many men on base. If the offense was even halfway productive, the team is up 2-0, not down 0-2. But Reynolds is playing like he was in August, Byrnes continues to struggle in clutch situations, and Snyder is back to pre-break swinging. And the fundamental errors are slowly killing this team too, but that's another story.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through 5 playoff games, only 6 Diamondbacks players have logged at least 15 AB's. Of those 6 players:

Drew .409/.435/.818 - 1.253
Young .235/.458/.588 - 1.047
Byrnes .286/.318/.571 - .890
Ojeda .333/.400/.389 - .789
Reynolds .167/.286/.333 - .619
Snyder .200/.294/.267 - .561

It's time for players not named Drew or Young to start participating.
- 2008 World Champions
webby17
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Through 5 playoff games, only 6 Diamondbacks players have logged at least 15 AB's. Of those 6 players:

Drew .409/.435/.818 - 1.253
Young .235/.458/.588 - 1.047
Byrnes .286/.318/.571 - .890
Ojeda .333/.400/.389 - .789
Reynolds .167/.286/.333 - .619
Snyder .200/.294/.267 - .561

It's time for players not named Drew or Young to start participating.

and especially time for players named reynolds and snyder to produce
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it matter when webb pitches? we're averaging 1.5 runs/game. does anyone think webb can pitch on 3 days rest and shut out the rockies? right now, the chances of webb beating the rockies even on 4 days rest are looking pretty damn slim.

bottom line is, if you're down 3-0 going into game 4, it really doesn't make a difference who's pitching. what will matter is whether the hitters can take the bats out of their butts and actually score a few runs. this team needs a game where they score 8-10 runs like britney spears needs a brain.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not going to make any adjustments to the gameplan with Webb, anyway.
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The approach that continues to be taken towards pitching Brad Hawpe in a 2 strike count has to change. Its just not working.

Clint Hurdle after Thursday's win:
Quote:
"We didn't want to fire [i.e., swing] early [in the count] unless we felt confident it was something we could square up," said manager Clint Hurdle. "We talked to [hitting coach] Alan Cockrell, and I thought one of the keys for us tonight would be the ability to hit with two strikes. We had to be comfortable hitting with two strikes. ... You know, patience -- not just in baseball, but in a lot of different areas -- usually has a tendency to work to your advantage."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3059883

Almost exclusively in a 2 strike count this team continues to pitch Hawpe low and away. How can any major league hitter not feel comfortable batting in a 2 strike count knowing that he's likely going to be pitched low and away? That most of these pitches will be out of the strike zone in hopes that he might chase. That he's going to see this pitch time and time again in a 2 strike count. And all he has to do is lean out over the plate and wait for the low and away pitch that he can get the bat on.

When a team refuses to change this approach they might as well bring out a tee for Brad Hawpe or plunk him on pitch 1 to save their pitcher's pitch count.

Brad Hawpe will continue to accept opportunities to beat this club until this club is willing to change their approach on how to pitch Hawpe in a 2 strike count.

Bust him inside. Change location and speed. But DO NOT continue to pitch him low and away in a 2 strike count unless you're content to allow him to remain feeling comfortable at the plate in a 2 strike count and are willing to accept it and go home early. The obvious choice is to throw something in a 2 strike count that will start making him feel uncomfortable at the plate. Get him thinking, get him guessing, but don't let him continue to comfortably wait on the low and away pitches in 2 strike counts.

Hawpe is hitting .500 and getting on base at a .667 clip in this series, because you're afraid to pitch to him in a 2 strike count. Because you're afraid to mix it up and challenge his comfort zone in a 2 strike count. Because you're willing to remain predictable in pitching to him in a 2 strike count.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Micah Owings, at this point you have to start wondering if he can play 3rd base?

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: