Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HOly Cow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: HOly Cow Reply with quote

What a finale to the Dogger/Padre series. WOW!!! Someone hide the humidor in Colorado? Cy Young battle, and we get to play both the puds and doggers. Fun's not over by a long shot.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy shit there. It may seem blasphemous but I wouldn't mind it if we won only the Webb games against the Pods. I'd much rather have the Pods take the NL West than the Dodgers.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I'd much rather have the Pods take the NL West than the Dodgers.

Absolutely!!! I agree with you 110% Very Happy
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
That's crazy shit there. It may seem blasphemous but I wouldn't mind it if we won only the Webb games against the Pods. I'd much rather have the Pods take the NL West than the Dodgers.

Proven vets it is then, for the Pads series.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: HOly Cow Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
What a finale to the Dogger/Padre series. WOW!!!

Four consecutive home runs for the Doggers to tie the score in the bottom of the ninth; and a walk-off by Nomar to win it in the tenth, putting the Doggers up by a half-game over the Pods.

Nomar Caps Incredible Win

I should add that this has happened only four times in major league history; and is the first time since the 1964 season.

Four Straight Home Runs in One Game

Have there been any triple plays this season? I think that'd be pretty rare, too -- although not as rare as 4 homers in a row.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask and ye shall receive, juan:

triple plays of 06, courtesy of wikipedia:

2006 Major-League Triple Plays

Quote:
Two of the most recent triple plays occurred in the same building less than two weeks apart. On May 14, 2006, during a game between the Chicago White Sox and the Minnesota Twins at the Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minnesota's Luis Castillo popped up a bunt attempt with two runners on in the bottom of the sixth inning. The ball was caught by Chicago first baseman Paul Konerko for the first out. Konerko then threw to second baseman Tadahito Iguchi covering first to double up Shannon Stewart who was on the move. Iguchi then threw to shortstop Juan Uribe covering second to triple off Nick Punto, also on the move. The play was the Sox's first since July 7, 2004 against the Angels and the first against the Twins since September 18, 1996.

Thirteen days later at the Metrodome, during a game between the Minnesota Twins and the Seattle Mariners on May 27, 2006, Seattle's Kenji Johjima hit a ground ball to Luis Castillo with the bases loaded in the top of the eighth inning. Castillo ran down Seattle's Adrian Beltre who was coming from first base, and tagged him out before throwing the ball to first baseman Justin Morneau to get Johjima out. Morneau quickly threw to third baseman Tony Batista who tagged Seattle's Carl Everett for the third out. Everett had come from second and overran third before deciding to stay at third, but by that time Batista was able to make the tag. Minnesota had not turned a triple play since its 1990 game against Boston.

On June 11, 2006 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, in a game between the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and the Kansas City Royals, the Royals turned an unconventional triple play with the help of an umpire appeal. Tampa Bay led Kansas City, 1-0, in the top of the second inning with men on first and third when Rays right fielder Russell Branyan lofted a fly ball to shallow center field. Royals outfielder David DeJesus caught the ball and threw home trying to get the runner going to home plate, but it went over catcher Paul Bako's head and pitcher Scott Elarton, who was backing up the play, caught the ball. Rocco Baldelli tagged up at first and tried to make it to second base where he was thrown out. Then, the Royals appealed to third-base umpire Bob Davidson that Aubrey Huff had tagged up before DeJesus caught the ball. Shortstop Angel Berroa threw to third baseman Mark Teahen, which completed the 8-1-6-5 triple play.

On September 2, 2006, the Rays produced the first ever [1] Major League triple play comprising a strikeout and two baserunners caught off base, against the Seattle Mariners. Tampa pitcher J.P. Howell struck out Raul Ibanez. Catcher Dioner Navarro fired the ball to shortstop Ben Zobrist, who tagged Adrian Beltre out. During that throw, Jose Lopez tried to go home from third, but Zobrist returned the ball to Navarro in time to put Lopez out at the plate, going in the scorebook as the first 2-6-2 triple play in MLB history.

The White Sox turned a triple play yet again on September 18, 2006, against the Detroit Tigers. With runners on first and second, Carlos Guillen lined out to third baseman Joe Crede. Crede then threw the ball to second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, who stepped on second and tagged the runner coming from first base to complete the play.

EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the triple play isn't as rare as I thought it was... Five in one season! Wow! (Although the "strike 'em out throw 'em out throw 'em out" must be abaout as rare as four consecutive home runs -- right?)

Thanks, Mac!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: