Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Entertainment

Page 2 of 5 [ 83 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Movie Recommendations
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:16 pm 

I heard this morning that with the opening success of The Expendables this weekend, Sylvester Stallone is the only actor to have a top weekend movie every decade for the last five decades.

Nice to see a bunch of old guys take the top spot. 8-)

The Expendables trailer HD

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:38 pm 

TAP wrote:
I heard this morning that with the opening success of The Expendables this weekend, Sylvester Stallone is the only actor to have a top weekend movie every decade for the last five decades.

Nice to see a bunch of old guys take the top spot. 8-)

The Expendables trailer HD

This movie was filled with awesomeness. A must see!!!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:59 am 

A couple of movie premiers from the Toronto Film Festival that have my interest.

Bruce Springsteen Interviewed by Edward Norton
Grammy, Golden Globe and Academy Award®-winning musician Bruce Springsteen visits Toronto for the World Premiere of The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town (playing separately at the Festival as a Gala). The documentary explores the creative process of Springsteen’s pivotal 1978 album where his focus shifts from youth to adulthood, capturing never-before-seen home rehearsals and recording sessions. Actor Edward Norton will moderate this Mavericks session, during which Springsteen will discuss the film as well as the relationship between his music and American filmmaking.

Steve Nash Presents Into the Wind
Steve Nash has achieved remarkable things on the basketball court – becoming an NBA All-Star and MVP as point guard for the Phoenix Suns, and playing in the Olympics for Canada’s national team. Nash was among the elite group of athletes who lit the Olympic torch at the 2010 games in Vancouver. Now he displays a new set of talents as he makes his directorial debut with a film about another Canadian icon, Terry Fox. In this Mavericks session, Nash will present the world premiere of his hour-long film, Into the Wind, produced by ESPN Films for its "30 for 30" series, followed by an extended conversation about sports, cinema and inspiration. Ezra Holland, co-director of the film, will also participate in this session.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:45 pm 

I saw "Dead Snow" last night. A scandinavian film about kids in a cabin and nazi zombies. :shock:
It was pretty entertaining. It had an "Evil Dead" feel to it. If you liked Evil Dead I think you would like Dead Snow.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:12 am 

The girl with the dragon tatoo was just meh. Maybe I was expecting more. I thought it was to long and had unnecessary stuff in it. The whole thing with the parole officer was stupid. What was the point?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:08 pm 

Prosopis wrote:
... The whole thing with the parole officer was stupid. What was the point?

That will be developed more in the sequel -- more of the backstory revealed there that ties this together more.
As far as the context for this film, it does show that this protagonist CAN take care of herself

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:49 pm 

moviegeekjn wrote:
Prosopis wrote:
... The whole thing with the parole officer was stupid. What was the point?

That will be developed more in the sequel -- more of the backstory revealed there that ties this together more.
As far as the context for this film, it does show that this protagonist CAN take care of herself

I thought that was what they were going for but I didnt buy it. In my opinion the actress did not pull the scene off. The actress seemed wrong for the role and those scenes did not help her make her case.It seemed like maybe there should be more to it. As I was watching I had the impression there was maybe some poor editing and something was left on the cutting room floor that shouldn't have been. I will be interested to see what the back story is. Although I wont go out of my way to see the sequel.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:20 pm 

You may already know this, but the movies are based on the Millenium Trilogy of books that were posthumously released in Sweden. The books were/are very popular, so there is that built in following that the hype is based on. I thought the movie was pretty good, not great, but I love the originality. These are the types of stories that Hollywood usually doesn't roll the dice on. Inception is a rare exception. I'm sure the American version will suck the life out of this story. Not going out on much of a limb saying the Swedish version will be the better one.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:49 pm 

Oden wrote:
You may already know this, but the movies are based on the Millenium Trilogy of books that were posthumously released in Sweden. The books were/are very popular, so there is that built in following that the hype is based on. I thought the movie was pretty good, not great, but I love the originality. These are the types of stories that Hollywood usually doesn't roll the dice on. Inception is a rare exception. I'm sure the American version will suck the life out of this story. Not going out on much of a limb saying the Swedish version will be the better one.

I am gonna have to call you on this. I think this is exactly the kind of movie hollywood goes with. Murder and sex. That pretty much sums up hollywood. I dont know how you would suck the life out of the story. There really was not much story. Women get raped by a serial rapist and he gets caught. The how he got caught was mildly entertaining. I will say the one thing I was wondering about was what crime did the girl with the tatoo originally commit. Are they making an American version? I came across the end of the American version of vanished today. Foreign version was far superior.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:45 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XR ... re=channel

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 am 

Saw the Tilman movie and the review was spot on. I hate my govt now even more than I did before. Just shameful.

Also saw Machete funny as hell. Just ordered my Machete Chop Shop T Shirt. :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm 

Justin wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM&feature=channel

This should have been in the music thread. :oops:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:04 pm 

No idea if this will be any good, but saw trailer for A Simple Noodle Story last weekend at the Camelview 5. Used to seeing botched American adaptations of foreign films, but this time China's premier filmmaker Yimou Zhang (Hero, House of Flying Daggers, organizer of the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony) is re-making the Coen brother's classic film Blood Simple.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm 

Wow, I'd be interested to see that.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 pm 

Watched a movie called Rampage on net flix instant down load. I liked it. It is a pretty well done B movie. Anyone else seen this?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:14 pm 

Saw The Town yesterday. I was entertained. It was worth the matinee price and had some good acting.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:37 pm 

Prosopis wrote:
Saw The Town yesterday. I was entertained. It was worth the matinee price and had some good acting.

Ben Afflect is a better director than actor... and here he's effective. He can "play" native Bostonians with conviction.

Agree that this is much more entertaining than expected... and for baseball fans a bonus of staging a high powered robbery scene at Fenway.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:25 pm 

moviegeekjn wrote:
Prosopis wrote:

Ben Afflect is a better director than actor... and here he's effective. He can "play" native Bostonians with conviction.

Agree that this is much more entertaining than expected... and for baseball fans a bonus of staging a high powered robbery scene at Fenway.

I thought Renner,Postlethwaite and Cooper stole the show. I wish Cooper was in it more. That was a powerful scene between him and Affleck.Maybe it was the accent but Postlethwaite really brought me back to Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. I am not an Affleck fan as far as acting goes. I like his directing and writing. I do think this was a good role for him though as it did not seem much of a stretch.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:21 pm 

Prosopis wrote:
I do think this was a good role for him though as it did not seem much of a stretch.

Afflect and Keanu Reeves are similar in this aspect--just cast them in roles that require zero stretching.

Afflect has demonstrated that he "can" play a regular Boston guy who isn't required to show any emotional range. Similarly--Reeves "can" play guys effectively who are either stoic (Speed, The Matrix, My Private Idaho, Little Buddha) or spaced out (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Little Buddha). ;)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:32 pm 

We saw Cats and Dogs II today... sigh... The kids enjoyed it... I suppose it was a decent kids movie... The parents mostly enjoyed the mindless couple hours... ;)

Page 2 of 5 [ 83 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Entertainment