Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
For those who dislike Brennaman...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron B
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: For those who dislike Brennaman... Reply with quote

...you might be in luck

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061002/SPT04/310020053/1071

and if Grace is fortunate enough to land the hitting coach gig, we might have a whole new TV crew next year, hopefully one that doesn't include Jeff Munn.
Stuart
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we get Harold Reynolds...He was GREAT to listen to before ESPN canned him for getting a little frisky with the crew.
TAP
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though he sometimes drove me a little nuts with his "1st pitch hacking" obsession, I personally think Thom is a great guy and I wish him the very best in his future career with the Reds. Not everybody gets a chance to return home and still be involved in a big way with the world's greatest sport.
Stuart
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Even though he sometimes drove me a little nuts with his "1st pitch hacking" obsession, I personally think Thom is a great guy and I wish him the very best in his future career with the Reds. Not everybody gets a chance to return home and still be involved in a big way with the world's greatest sport.

Man hes gonna be ALL OVER Adam Dunn for his 1 million strikeouts!!!
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom can be irritating with his preaching, but he's certainly not the worst in the business... and he had been pretty much on board with the direction that the team was taking.

Still have to wish him the best should he decide to return home. He obviously retains great love for Cincinnati, so this could be a happy move for him.
baldmaga
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy Thom's play-by-play and I'll be disappointed if he leaves. He's been one of the franchise's mainstay's and to see him go would be saddening. He may irritate some with his critisism and off-topic banter, but he is a very professional broadcaster and has a national feel, where most pbp guys are annoying and have little to no experience.
Otacon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually going to be dissapointed if he leaves. Compared to 90% of other lead commentators, he's Vin Scully.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've bitched and moaned about thom and grace all season, but this makes me sad. those two are idiots half the time, but they're our idiots.
Catharsis
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, and maybe it's after a long day, but are they saying Thom would pair up with Marty or one would be doing TV while the other does radio? Both are play-by-play guys. I wouldn't want either to do color.

And from a friend of mine who works in the media area with the D-Backs, I've heard Thom doesn't get along with Marty in the "I want to work with my dad" kind of way.

I'd hate to see him go.
Ron B
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems like it would be a demotion to go from doing TV to doing radio.
stevegardner
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pack his bags for him. I thnk he may be the most negative announcer I have come across. I would just as soon see Schulte move to the TV side and keep Grace as the color guy. Brennaman has been irritating to me since the first day he arrived...
Catharsis
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevegardner wrote:
I would pack his bags for him. I thnk he may be the most negative announcer I have come across. I would just as soon see Schulte move to the TV side and keep Grace as the color guy. Brennaman has been irritating to me since the first day he arrived...

Schulte doesn't like doing TV.

Thom started getting negative the last three years. And can you blame him? There hasn't been much to get positive about. I also like his ability to attack the organization. It shows me he's not a yes man like Melvin.
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schulte is one of the suckiest radio guys I've ever heard. Listen to 10 minutes of any of his broadcasts and you'll hear at least one muck up.

Yesterday he called Quentin's long out, caught by Giles, as a home run. Now, after seeing the replay, I could understand not knowing right away if it was out or not. But he called it a homer, then there were about 10 seconds of silence, then he quietly said that Giles caught it.

He gets all excited about a "long fly ball!" which ends up being caught by the shortstop. Say what you want about the guy whose Dad doesn't know how to spell Tom, but at least he doesn't have that level of suckitude.
Dan
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Thom is entertaining and would be disappointed to see him go. I didn't follow baseball unitl after the 2001 season, so the current cast of characters are the ones in which I am familiar.

Maybe I just missing out on really good sports broadcasters.
Catharsis
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
Schulte is one of the suckiest radio guys I've ever heard. Listen to 10 minutes of any of his broadcasts and you'll hear at least one muck up.

Yesterday he called Quentin's long out, caught by Giles, as a home run. Now, after seeing the replay, I could understand not knowing right away if it was out or not. But he called it a homer, then there were about 10 seconds of silence, then he quietly said that Giles caught it.

He gets all excited about a "long fly ball!" which ends up being caught by the shortstop. Say what you want about the guy whose Dad doesn't know how to spell Tom, but at least he doesn't have that level of suckitude.

To defend him a bit, nobody new if he caught it or not. In fact, not only did Giles kind of guard his celebration a bit, but the 2nd baseman pumped his fists in the air when it looked like he made the catch and then dropped them in dispair thinking it was a HR, then went back to celebrating when Giles got up with the ball. In the stands it felt like a lot of time passed between the catch and the confirmation.

But he does has a tendency to do what you described.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked Thom. He has the DJ kinda voice that is so unfit for baseball. The baseball team are supposed to be unprofessional idiots. That being said, I really, really hope the team brings Schulte up to be the main tv guy, let Grace go down and be a bench coach, and GET TRABER BACK!!!! The guy is so terrible it's great. Like the way that Beavis and Butthead was so stupid it was hilarious. Grace talked about drinking, Traber really did!! Besides, Grace is just trying to pull a Brenly.

Thom is transitioning to college football and the Reds radio gig would be great for him. San Fran (Johnny Miller) and LA (Scully/Steiner) aside, the rest of baseball radio is bushleague. The Reds just got a top-5 radio team.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone here ever talk to thom outside the broadcast booth? does he still use the same voice? if so, can you imagine him talking dirty to his wife with that voice? gives me chills.
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not a tool in real life.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Thom.

I think he can be wrong about alot of things on air Wink

But he's a good guy. If this is true, I'm very sorry he's leaving, and wish him and his family nothing but the best.
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though he still bugs me, I've warmed up to Thom over the last few months. A lot of it has to do with hearing him off the broadcast in interviews. He comes across as genuine and nice. It makes his broadcasts seem more honest as well.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the game so I didn't hear Schulte's call, but I was there with 3 people who know baseball better than any fans I have ever met and they were all not sure at first either. The problem is not that Schulte was unsure, it was that he made the call.

It would have been much more exciting for him to actually call the play. I know this is a foreign concept to Schulte, but it is basic to radio. The nnouncer needs to describe the action on the field accurately. Schulte could have describe Giles racing back, line drive at the wall, Giles jumps on the fence, glove over the fence...did he get...did he...Barfield drops to his knees.. it might have been out....NO Giles caught it.

As you can telll that as thought out. It is just me describing how I remember the play.

If Schulte would practice a little he could describe the plays. If he watched the games he would do better.

A friend said he listened to Schulte's radio call of Gonzo's game 7 winning hit. It was: "blooper...dbacks win" No mention of where, whether it was going to drop, which was clear from the outset with the infield in.

I just listen to get the score and during that one inning Schulte makes at least one and often several incomprehensible calls. Brennaman is an excellent radio announcer. I will concede that he works at his job and is a professional when he sticks to just announcing.

They shoud do a Saturday Night Live Skit of a Brennaman announcer talking dirty to his girlfriend.
DesertKnight
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching a very young Thom do the sports on WLWT in Cincy many years ago, and I know the Reds would love to have him, but I'm somewhat surprised that he'd accept. Here, he's the TV face of the franchise and his job is secure for as long as he wants it.

Still, I've always like Thom, and I wish him the best. At least he's heading to a good baseball town.
TAP
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see you go, Thom. Best to you and your family in Cincinnati.

Nick Piecoro this morning wrote:
Thom Brennaman, the voice of the Diamondbacks for all nine of their seasons, appears close to accepting a position with the Cincinnati Reds, where he would join his father, Marty, in the broadcast booth.

Both Brennaman and Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall said a decision has not yet been reached, although a report in Monday's Cincinnati Enquirer said an announcement could be made as soon as next week.

The Reds asked for and were granted permission by the Diamondbacks to speak with him in August.

"It goes without saying there is a tremendous draw to work with your dad," Brennaman said. "And I'm grateful to the Diamondbacks for having at least allowed me the opportunity to explore that becoming a reality."

Marty, who was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000, has been a Reds announcer since 1974. Thom, who grew up in Cincinnati, spent two years as a Reds announcer in the late 1980s, calling games alongside Johnny Bench.

Other teams have previously contacted the Diamondbacks about Brennaman, who is under contract through 2009, but have always been rebuffed by the club.

"We have always said no in the past; he has always said no in the past," Hall said. "But this is a unique circumstance that involves his father and his hometown and we would not get in the way of family."

Should he depart, Brennaman is expected to do both television and radio work for the Reds.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
anyone here ever talk to thom outside the broadcast booth? does he still use the same voice?

I met Thom at the airport in SF one Sunday afternoon in the summer of 2004. We didn't speak for more than a moment or so; but he was very gracious, and yes, he sounded like the Thom Brennaman one hears during the game on tv or radio.

He's an excellent announcer -- he did a radio-only game from SF last week, and it was almost like being at the ballpark because he was very descriptive about the plays. My only complaint is that he tends to "go along for the ride" when Grace wanders off into stupidity and his interminable inane comments and anecdotes. Perhaps Thom is being too polite, or "fan-boy" to a certain degree -- I don't know. But when he's paired with Matt Williams, or Tom Candiotti, he's one of the best there is.

Cincinnati's gain will be our loss. Good luck, Thom!
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted in wrong thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: