Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Astros trade for Jason Jennings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wedge
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Astros trade for Jason Jennings Reply with quote

I know this isn't really team news, but I decided to post it here since there was a faint rumble about Jennings from our camp. (don't know the policy on that)

Quote:

The Astros have acquired right-hander Jason Jennings from the Rockies, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Rockies will receive center fielder Willy Taveras and right-handers Jason Hirsh and Taylor Buchholz for Jennings and right-hander Miguel Asencio, major-league sources said.

Jennings, 28, will replace left-hander Andy Pettitte in the Astros' rotation. Pettitte, 34, signed a two-year, $32 million free-agent contract with the Yankees last Friday.

The Astros, who still could re-sign free-agent right-hander Roger Clemens, paid a steep price for Jennings, a pitcher with a 4.74 career ERA and only one season of more than 12 wins.

The quality of the players going to the Rockies will increase the pressure on the Astros to sign Jennings — a free agent at the end of next season — to a long-term contract.

Taveras, 25, will fill the Rockies' void in center field. Buchholz, 25, and Hirsh, 24, are considered two of the Astros' top pitching prospects.

Chris Burke, 26, likely will take over for the Astros in center, and the trade could accelerate the rise of the Astros' top position prospect, Class AA outfielder Hunter Pence, to the majors.

The package is similar to the one that the Astros discussed last week with the White Sox in a proposed trade for right-hander Jon Garland.

Buchholz made his major-league debut last season and was 6-10 with a 5.89 ERA in 113 innings. Hirsh, who is 6-foot-8, was 13-2 with a 2.10 ERA in 137 1/3 innings at Class AAA.

Asencio, 26, could develop into a decent middle-inning reliever. He has made only 11 appearances the past four seasons due to multiple surgeries on his right elbow.

On that note, if this is what's gonna take for a guy like Jennings, I'm all for not making a trade this year for pitching.
admdavid
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another move that helps us as it seemed like Jennings always gave us a hard time.

AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
91 20 3 0 0 5 4 30 .220 .253 .253 .505
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread already started in the "rest of west" section..
wedge
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Thread already started in the "rest of west" section..

didn't check there (obviously, and I probably suck for it), but I thought it still had some team relevance here.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever.... no biggee... just figured i would mention it FYI...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: