Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jennings traded to Astros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Jennings traded to Astros Reply with quote

The Astros have acquired Jason Jennings and Miguel Asencio from the Rockies for Jason Hirsh, Willy Taveras and Taylor Buchholz, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an excellent trade for Colorado. Jenning is a good pitcher, but with just one year left of control, and certain to be a FA after 2007, getting Hirsh and Taveras will help them long term quite a bit

Hirsh had a rough callup, but he seems like he will have a good future, regardless....

Taveras can't hit, but his defense is more valuable in CF in Colorado than just about any other place he could go, so this is definitely maximizing what the play can do.

Bucholz probably aint much. I view him as a throw in here.

Good haul for one year of Jennings.

It also lets you know what it would have cost the D backs, as they inquired about Jennings.

It would have cost the D backs plenty, and as Josh said, as much as he wanted to trade for a guy like that for the rotation, it just didn't make sense.

Houston is so screwed. That organization is going to be seeing some lean times in the coming years.
rgndvo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant imagine what the stros were thinking there. Id think jennings for any two of those three but all three seems a bit steep.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Rotoworld:

Quote:
The Astros have acquired Jason Jennings and Miguel Asencio from the Rockies for Jason Hirsh, Willy Taveras and Taylor Buchholz, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

When Houston GM Tim Purpura got his extension this winter, we indicated that he probably ranked among the top half of MLB GMs. Let us now revise that assessment. Yes, it looks like he was handcuffed by ownership on the Andy Pettitte negotiations, and indications were that the overwhelming bid for Carlos Lee was also fueled by ownership. This, however, has got to be mostly Purpura and it is one ugly trade. Hirsh is probably going to be a better pitcher than Jennings someday -- maybe as soon as 2008. We don't hold Taveras in high regard and Buchholz is probably better utilized as a reliever than as a starter, but there's no way the Astros should have made this trade, not when Jennings is just a year away from free agency.
Source: FOXSports.com
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Houston is so screwed. That organization is going to be seeing some lean times in the coming years.
Crying or Very sad
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Louise... Cards continue to improve within the division just letting the Cubs and Astros implode with silly deals. Still expect the Brewers to be the main contenders for this division (but I thought that was the case last season too)
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If HOUSton can sign JJ to an extension - this might be ok for them... Big IF, but they gave up an average CFer (who they can replace with burke) and two pitching prospects... i dont think that is really that unfair for a legit no2 pitcher...

Big IF though....
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
If HOUSton can sign JJ to an extension - this might be ok for them... Big IF, but they gave up an average CFer (who they can replace with burke) and two pitching prospects... i dont think that is really that unfair for a legit no2 pitcher...

Big IF though....

Taveras can cover a lot of ground and they need that in Coors
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! The 'Stros are f'd in the head for including Hirsch in this deal. So how much is Tavaras going to be worth in fantasy/roto drafts/auctions this year?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
Holy crap! The 'Stros are f'd in the head for including Hirsch in this deal. So how much is Tavaras going to be worth in fantasy/roto drafts/auctions this year?

$8, 07X in our league Wink
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when does trading start anyway?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
So when does trading start anyway?

sometime in january? we have to send out an email and get confirmation from the commish...

i don't have taveras anymore, however. i traded him for homer bailey, if you'll remember...
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Geez Louise... Cards continue to improve within the division just letting the Cubs and Astros implode with silly deals. Still expect the Brewers to be the main contenders for this division (but I thought that was the case last season too)

Brewers lost significant PT from Sheets, Weeks, Koskie, Hardy, and Ohka, had poor years from Jenkins and Clark, and a complete meltdown from Turnbow. I think they have to be healthier in 07, and are taking steps to improve their depth, and sort out their outfield. They still need to figure out the back end of the rotation, and the set up roles getting them to Cordero, but I think they'll definitely challenge the Cardinals (who should be healthier next year too, but have their own pitching thing to sort out).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: