Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Any help amongst the non-tenders?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee mellon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Any help amongst the non-tenders? Reply with quote

The deadline is tonight to offer contracts to arbitration eligible players. I have been trying to compile a little list of players that are expected to become non-tenders and wondering if there are any that could help the Diamondbacks.

Marcus Giles
Ben Broussard
Chris Reitsma
Shawn Chacon
Mark Hendrickson
Joel Piniero
Rodrigo Lopez
Toby Hall
Yorvit Torrealba
Josh Fogg

Any more? I put those two in bold because they are the only two off of that list that I can imagine may help us. Reitsma's numbers http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=reitsma[url]here. We all loooove the ground ball.[/b]
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This org has always had a hardon for chacon. I wonder if that carried over to JB.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys I'd look at:

Pineiro, as a reliever
R. Lopez, as backend starter
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodrigo Lopez maybe......his K rate has held up, he doesn't walk too many guys, and he was a bit unlucky with fly balls last year, with a pretty high % of them leaving the yard.

His FIP was 4.99 and xFip 4.62

Not great by any shakes, but he could improve perhaps with a move to NL and away from the AL East. Especially if he could get his Groundball rate back to something similar to 2004

Of course Marcus Giles is a possibility too....but we don't need a secondbaseman. And levski says he can't hit enough any more to play 3rd. I'm not inclined to argue.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
guys I'd look at:

Pineiro, as a reliever
R. Lopez, as backend starter

I've looked ALOT at Pineiro over the past year...on and off.

He has always had decent GB rates, generally had better DIPS than ERA, and I knew he was coming available pretty soon. So for those reasons, he has been on my radar.

But I think he is hurt. Thats why I never suggested him.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I'm not inclined to argue.

that's unexpected
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concur on looks at pin and rodrigo, but so are a lot of other teams.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the list from mlbtraderumors

Josh Fogg
Shawn Chacon
Rodrigo Lopez
Joel Pineiro
Marcus Giles
Chris Reitsma
Ben Broussard
Toby Hall
Mark Hendrickson
Yorvit Torrealba
David Newhan
Todd Williams
Jorge Sosa
Brendan Donnelly
Brandon Duckworth
Kyle Snyder
Chin-Hui Tsao
Javier Lopez
Humberto Cota
Antonio Perez
Eric Bruntlett
Brad Wilkerson
Jason Lane
Jody Gerut
Jayson Werth
Aaron Guiel
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prospect Report from 3 years ago...

Quote:
Top Prospect: Chin-Hui Tsao, RHP

Signed: Taiwan, 1999
Signed by: Tim Ireland

Background: Tsao became first Taiwanese pitcher and just the second Taiwanese player to appear in the majors when he pitched 6 1/3 innings to beat the Brewers on July 25. Overall, he survived his first taste of the big leagues despite allowing first-inning homers in four of his eight starts. He missed nearly a month when he went on the disabled list with a strained hamstring, which kept his innings down enough so that he retained his rookie eligibility. Because Tsao was on the DL at the end of August, however, he couldn’t be sent to the minors and thus be allowed to pitch for Taiwan in the Asian Games. The Rockies had agreed to make Tsao available in order to have the government waive his mandatory 18 months of military service, but there was no way around Major League Baseball’s rules. Colorado’s first major international signing, Tsao received a $2.2 million bonus in 1999. He has mastered English and has shown he has fully recovered from Tommy John surgery in 2001. Before joining the Rockies, he made a strong impression in his half-season at Double-A Tulsa, ranking as the top prospect in the Texas League.

Strengths: Tsao has a devastating slider, though he has been limited in how he can use it since his elbow surgery. The Rockies don’t want him to overextend himself with the slider, which has given him more opportunity to refine his changeup. He has an exploding fastball that can run up to 96 mph and usually sits in the low 90s. He can add and subtract from his heater, depending on what the situation calls for. Just as important as his stuff, Tsao has command of the strike zone. He has averaged 10.5 strikeouts and just 2.3 walks per nine innings during his minor league career. He is athletic and moves off the mound quickly. He also is a good baserunner, able to challenge an outfielder’s arm. Pressure isn’t an issue for Tsao. He’s carrying the hopes of an entire nation, so what’s a baseball game?

Weaknesses: Tsao’s focus came under question in Colorado. Until arriving at Coors Field he always had been so much more talented than his competition that he was able to excel with ease. In the big leagues, he’s going to have to develop game plans. He must adjust to what the advance scouts, pitching coach and catcher believe he should do instead of continually shaking off his catcher. He needs to get stronger and develop more stamina so he can carry his stuff later into games.

The Future: Projected as Colorado’s future ace, Tsao will go to spring training with a solid chance to be part of the Rockies rotation. However, he’ll have to earn the job. If not, the Rockies won’t hesitate sending him to Colorado Springs for Triple-A seasoning. He skipped that step on his way up and could benefit from time with pitching guru Bob McClure.

Team W-L SV ERA G GS IP H R ER BB SO AVG
Tulsa (AA) 11-7 0 2.46 18 18 113.1 88 34 31 26 125 .214
Colorado 3-3 0 6.02 9 8 43.1 48 30 29 20 29 .284

Quote:
Health biggest question facing TsaoBy John Manuel
Baseball America

While Dodgers outfielder Chin-Feng Chen was the first native of Taiwan to reach the major leagues, Rockies right-hander Chin-hui Tsao should be the first player from the island nation to make an impact in the big leagues.

Tsao

The Rockies have shifted Tsao to the bullpen after using him almost exclusively as a starter in the minor leagues. It's a path many big-league closers have followed -- Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, Jason Isringhausen, Joe Nathan and Mariano Rivera, among others, all were primarily starters in the minor leagues (if not the majors) before moving to the bullpen.

While Shawn Chacon faltered in his conversion from starter to closer in Colorado last year, the Rockies have had high expectations for Tsao ever since giving him a $2.2 million signing bonus in 1999. Tsao ranked as the organization's top prospect three of the previous four years.

He was considered a polished, precocious amateur, pitching for Taiwan as an 18-year-old in the 1999 Asia Games. Tsao had a strong debut season but didn't take his offseason conditioning seriously, leading to an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery in 2001.

Tsao continued to work as a starter after his return from the surgery before shifting to the bullpen in 2004, and the move has given his stuff a boost. He touched 100 mph pitching for Taiwan in the 2004 Olympics, a requirement the Rockies had to fulfill to get the Taiwanese government to waive his mandatory 18 months of military service.

Tsao has had trouble staying healthy, which was one reason for his move to a relief role, but he still has starter stuff. Besides Tsao's fastball, from which he can add and subtract velocity, scouts consider his mid-80s slider an above-average pitch, as well. He also can throw his curveball and changeup for strikes.

His biggest test in 2005, if he's to thrive as the Rockies' closer, is proving his arm can hold up on back-to-back outings. He has had shoulder soreness and hamstring injuries in the past, and must prove he's durable enough for a relief workload.

Cube Stats
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it... nevermind...

...by May 20, it was determined that the injury was a torn labrum, and Tsao underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Denver on May 25...Dr. Thomas J. Noonan, Colorado's Medical Director, performed the surgery to repair a torn labrum and a debridement of the right rotator cuff...was transferred to the 60-day DL on May 26.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for hte input though.

Was Donnelly definitely nontendered? He must have been hurt or something. I don't see why anyone would dump a good bp arm.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/donnebr01.shtml
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to turn everything into a trade Eric Byrnes post, but that should be the major goal in this off season. If they are planning to do that, Broussard, Werth and Guiel all all werth looking at.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/brousbe01.shtml

I assume Broussard and the other have injuries issues. Wilkerson was a very good player, but I assume he is severely injured.

Last edited by stu on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning any thread or post into a trade Eric Byrnes thread or post is always considered acceptable form at DBBP
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
I hate to turn everything into a trade Eric Byrnes post, but that should be the major goal in this off season. If they are planning to that Broussar, Werth and Guiel all all werth looking at.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/brousbe01.shtml

I assume Broussard and the other have injuries issues. Wilkerson was a very good player, but I assume he is severely injured.

I think Byrnes' roster spot would be more valuable if used on another ofer, probably more likely a pitcher instead... I like donnely if injuries arent an issue... i think they are..
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Byrnes' roster spot would be more valuable if used on another ofer, probably more likely a pitcher instead...

My thinking is that if they trade Byrnes they need a backup plan if Hairston stinks. Actually a lh bat would look good for the outfield in place of Byrnes.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt that davanon - and then down the line to the kid (name escapes me) who caught randys perfect game...or even Tracy....
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is does the front office expect to win this year. If they do then you need a good backup plan to Hairston in case he falls on his face. If the front office views this as a year where the young guys are getting their legs under them and if thats the case then they really don't need a back up plan to Hairston.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Turning any thread or post into a trade Eric Byrnes thread or post is always considered acceptable form at DBBP

Furthermore, I advise that Eric Byrnes must be traded.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torrealba wasn't non-tendered...he re-signed with the Rox

Yorvit Torrealba-C- Rockies Dec. 12 - 9:32 pm et

Rockies agreed to terms with catcher Yorvit Torrealba on a one-year, $1.075 million contract.
The Rockies weren't going to go to arbitration to Torrealba, but they were willing to give him a modest $225,000 raise. Torrealba's status was only in doubt because of last season's shoulder troubles. He'll be a perfectly adequate regular if healthy. However, the Rockies may give Chris Iannetta the majority of the at-bats. This probably takes them out of the running for Rod Barajas, though it is possible they could pair the veterans and return Iannetta to Triple-A.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Chacon and Cota were tendered, and I have not seen anything official on Donnely or Broussard (among others). I think that second list posted must have been speculation.

Shawn Chacon-S- Pirates Dec. 13 - 12:22 am et

The Pirates have tendered contracts to all of their arbitration-eligible players, including Shawn Chacon and Humberto Cota.
The club had been indicating that Cota wouldn't be back since before the end of the season, but it looks like he'll hang around to compete for a job behind Ronny Paulino. Hanging on to Chacon is a risk, since the least he can get in arbitration is $2.88 million and it's more likely that he'll make close to the $3.6 million he did last season. Still, he's a reasonable option as a fifth starter, and if the Pirates chose not to give him that kind of money, it's likely that someone else would have.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is the official non-tendered list (from Rotoworld):

Brandon Claussen, p
Miguel Perez, c
Adam Harben, p
Jose A Reyes, c (no, not THAT Jose Reyes)
Jerome Williams, p
Willie Eyre, p
Luis Rodriguez, inf
Scott Dohmann, p
Brandon Duckworth, p
Eduardo Sierra, p
David Newhan, of
Todd Williams, p
Aaron Rakers, p
Jorge Sosa, p
Rick Ankiel, of
Damon Hollins, of
Brad Wilkerson, of
Mike Wood, p
Toby Hall, c
Jason Werth, of
Jon Knott, of
Victor Zambrano, p
Joel Pineiro, p
Jason Bulger, p
Chin Hui Tsao, p
Aaron Guiel, of
Marcus Giles, inf
Chris Reitsma, p
Alexis Gomez, of
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rangers did tender an offer to Brad Wilkerson prior to Tuesday's deadline.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:

Rick Ankiel, of

amzaing that this guy was a MLB pitcher and he is a good enough athlete that he is now a OF that possibly can get a sniff of a job in baseball (minors im sure)

i know alot of these dudes played many different spots in there high school years.....but to be considered an OF now is pretty amazing....

Like to think im a trend setter
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
OK, here is the official non-tendered list (from Rotoworld):

Jason Bulger, p

So we won the Callaspo trade I take it?

Quote:

Victor Zambrano, p

I feel your pain Mets fans...

Quote:

Jerome Williams, p

Some team will right this ship.

Quote:

Brandon Claussen, p

Aaron F'in Boone
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Tsao?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: