Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Akinori Otsuka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Aaron wrote:
You'd have to think that Tracy for Mike Gonzo involves more than that wouldn't you? That'd open up a huge hole in the offense, Tracy's disspointing progression notwithstanding. Maybe one of Pittsburgh's young pitchers.

The way it's being reported, the D backs offered Tracy for Mike Gonzo, and pitt rejected them.

Yeah. I'd be very suprised if that's how it went down though. Gonzales and Gorzelanny for Tracy and the Pirates rejected them. Something like that.

I'm with you though, I want to know what the backup plan at 3B is. I don't have a real problem dealing him if we're talking about a legitimate starter for the rotation. But otherwise I think it's a step in the wrong direction. Tracy with his problems will still be one of our most important and best hitters this season. He's cheap, young, etc. Not the time to jump ship.
ncdbackfan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closer has been a huge weak spot for us ever since BK moved from closer to starter. I for one, have never felt comfortable the last several seasons giving a lead to the closer. It sure as hell would be nice to have a reliable closer that you had faith in and gave you 40+ saves. Otsuka would be that guy so I think it would be a good move. I just hope Byrnes doesn't give up too much.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncdbackfan wrote:
Closer has been a huge weak spot for us ever since BK moved from closer to starter. I for one, have never felt comfortable the last several seasons giving a lead to the closer. It sure as hell would be nice to have a reliable closer that you had faith in and gave you 40+ saves. Otsuka would be that guy so I think it would be a good move. I just hope Byrnes doesn't give up too much.

i don't know... i never felt too comfortable giving leads to BK either. or, for that matter, to mantei. i've never really had confidence in AZ's closers.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
ncdbackfan wrote:

i don't know... i never felt too comfortable giving leads to BK either. or, for that matter, to mantei. i've never really had confidence in AZ's closers.

BK was an excellent closer.

Mantei... to quote BPro, Mantei's natural state was injured.
XB3
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
BK was an excellent closer.

I always liked BK as a closer, but what we all remember is BK giving up a couple of games in the post season. (made the series more memorable)

I remember watching him pitch to a lefty during the regular season. He had the guy so confused, the batter swung early, missed and took the ball to his balls. Not only did the poor guy strike out, but his ego as well as his twig and berries got bruised.

When BK was on, he was tough to beat, but his head may not be the best for the closer role.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK made me an extra 20+K that year. He's a saint.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Otsuka until the end of spring training according to Steve Gilbert's tea leaves...

Steve Gilbert's mailbag wrote:
I read that the D-backs are going to get Akinori Otsuka from the Rangers. Please tell me this is true.
-- Anita S., Phoenix

I know that Otsuka's name has come up in the discussions that the D-backs have had with the Rangers, but there are a lot of teams that have inquired about him, and I don't think a deal with Arizona is imminent. If the Rangers were to sign Barry Zito, their need for a starting pitcher would be reduced, thus lowering the value of the young D-backs pitchers they are interested in. Plus, I think they may want to wait on Otsuka until they are sure that the recently signed Eric Gagne is healthy and can close games for them, which leads me to believe that if they decide to trade Otsuka, it may be closer to the end of Spring Training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: