Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Akinori Otsuka
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otacon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Akinori Otsuka Reply with quote

Rosenthal's latest.

Quote:
Available: Rangers' Otsuka

The Rangers, while pursuing free-agent closer Eric Gagne, have discussed a trade of right-handed closer Akinori Otsuka with at least two teams — the Mets and Diamondbacks.

Otsuka, acquired with right-hander Adam Eaton last off-season in a six-player trade that sent right-hander Chris Young and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to the Padres, pitched only five times in September due to migraine headaches.

The Rangers, seeking young starting pitching, asked the Mets about right-handers Brian Bannister and John Maine before the Mets sent Bannister to the Royals for right-hander Ambiorix Burgos.

The Diamondbacks are also fairly deep in right-handed pitching prospects, with Enrique Gonzalez, Micah Owings and Dustin Nippert among the Rangers' possible targets.

Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Akinori Otsuka Reply with quote

Otacon wrote:
Rosenthal's latest.

Quote:
Available: Rangers' Otsuka

The Rangers, while pursuing free-agent closer Eric Gagne, have discussed a trade of right-handed closer Akinori Otsuka with at least two teams — the Mets and Diamondbacks.

Otsuka, acquired with right-hander Adam Eaton last off-season in a six-player trade that sent right-hander Chris Young and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to the Padres, pitched only five times in September due to migraine headaches.

The Rangers, seeking young starting pitching, asked the Mets about right-handers Brian Bannister and John Maine before the Mets sent Bannister to the Royals for right-hander Ambiorix Burgos.

The Diamondbacks are also fairly deep in right-handed pitching prospects, with Enrique Gonzalez, Micah Owings and Dustin Nippert among the Rangers' possible targets.

Hey, I called this a few days ago, when the Nippert/Owings to Texas rumors began circulating. That was the only logical explanation, aside from Blalock, but I thought Otsuka was the primary target.

edit: previous

http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org/viewtopic.php?t=934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otsuka is a bad MFer. I don't know if he's bad enough to give up Owings for, but possibly Nippert. There are obvious logjam issues and I don't see them getting resolved. We have a buttload of candidates for the last 2 spots over the next two years but unless one of them really kicks ass, there won't be room for more than 2. It must be time to figure out which are the best bets for us and see what we can do with the rest.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but can't we do better than otsuka? IIRC, didn't az just own his ass? was he really great against everyone else? is he the closer they're trying to get?

i dunno... i think we might have better pitchers than otsuka in the system already. i CERTAINLY wouldn't give up owings for him... probably not nippert either.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Otsuka is a bad MFer. I don't know if he's bad enough to give up Owings for, but possibly Nippert. There are obvious logjam issues and I don't see them getting resolved. We have a buttload of candidates for the last 2 spots over the next two years but unless one of them really kicks ass, there won't be room for more than 2. It must be time to figure out which are the best bets for us and see what we can do with the rest.

Of the two, I see Nippert as the more likely player to go. Even though, I'd rather keep both him and Owings and trade Enrique.

Given AZ's depth and needs, however, I think Nippert is the most likely guy to get traded from the guys mentioned here.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
but can't we do better than otsuka? IIRC, didn't az just own his ass? was he really great against everyone else? is he the closer they're trying to get?

i dunno... i think we might have better pitchers than otsuka in the system already. i CERTAINLY wouldn't give up owings for him... probably not nippert either.

I agree with matt. Otsuka is a bad mofo. He's been having medical problems though so I'd be cautious.
Bob A
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll also be 35 years old in January. Micah Owings is going to be a stud. It would have to be a cold day in hell before I'd trade him for Otsuka. If nothing else sign Foulke. Between him and Valverde hopefully someone can close this year and we wont be giving up on one of our best young pitching prospects who might be good for the next ten years!
rgndvo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id sooner keep enrique but I am probably higher on him than I should be. I honestly think just as many of his problems came from melvins poor infield positioning as it did with his pitching. Im just going off perception, but it didnt exactly seem like players squared him up on a consistant basis.

I too would look more towards nippert. Hes in a tier in this organization with cruz, edgon, engon, and owings and I just dont see enough spots for all of them down the road (although cruz works well in LR). we could really use a solid BP arm more than another 4-5 starter.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys think I come up with bad trades...meh...nippert, owings...
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use once again the oft-cited phrase, If the Diamondbacks were only a player away from conteding for it all, and Otsuka filled the need, OK, fine, trade Nippert or Owings.

However, as that ain't the case, what's the point of trading away a good young player for an old guy like Otsuka?

Not a deal I would do...
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:

I didn't know he was so old. Regardless, he still is a bad ass. AZ did own him, therefore, he was lights out against everyone else.

I don't think Owings either, he's going to be a good pitcher and post a .800 OPS.

I say Nippert because he looks like another Patterson. Plenty of potential and might be a very good pitcher but it won't happen in AZ. Unless things really change, Nippert is going to be the guy who gets called up to pitch the first game of a doubleheader and then gets optioned immediately after the game. The org now has their sights on Oldenhorf and Owings.

If he isn't going to get a shot, then we need to trade him while someone still values him. If we are in a situation where he is out of options next year and he didn't play this year, his value will be crap.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, whatever the case with otsuka, we can safely assume that the dbacks aren't going to overpay for him. i personally don't really see the need to trade for him. i'd much rather just sign keith foulke...
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, extra players in a log jam take up space on the 40 man roster that could be better used. These guys are blocking players beloe them in AA a ball that the Diamondbacks still need to protect. When there's a surplus, it is best to weed thigs out a bit. And as you said, Matt, it is best to get something in exchange for players you knoe don't fit your longterm plans while they still have good value.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB's been pretty spot-on as far as which pitchers to let go of. That can't really be said of He Who Shall Not Be Named. Granted, he's got a crop of talent where such a decision could get quite sticky, but so far I haven't shed a tear over the pitching JB's traded away.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, it sure seems like JB wants a PV™ in the closer's role. So, I guess we expect Foulke or Otsuka.

Signing Foulke and trading (if the logjam's that detrimental) for young prospects with high-upside seems better to me, though.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rangers might be more incl;ined to trade this guy to the Diamondbacks now that they've signed Gagne. Of course, they might want to hold to him awhile as insurance policy because of Gagne's injuries.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterdays Trib....just recapping what we already know, thought I'd stick it in here:
Quote:

D-Backs inquire about Otsuka
By Jack Magruder, Tribune
December 13, 2006

In an attempt to further upgrade their pitching staff, the Diamondbacks are in trade discussions with Texas for reliever Akinori Otsuka, major league sources said Wednesday.

Otsuka, 34, made a successful transition from setup man to closer in his first season with the Rangers in 2006.

He would challenge inconsistent incumbent Jose Valverde for that job with the D-Backs.

Texas, seeking young starting pitching, inquired about Triple-A right-handers Dustin Nippert and Micah Owings at the winter meetings and is believed to have interest in right-hander Enrique Gonzalez.

But the sticking point appears to be what the Rangers will take in return.

All three young D-Backs are considered candidates for the Nos. 4-5 spots in the starting rotation behind NL Cy Young winner Brandon Webb, Livan Hernandez and Doug Davis, who was obtained in a six-player deal with Milwaukee in late November to bolster the rotation.

Otsuka had 32 saves and a 2.11 ERA despite not getting his first save chance until April 29 last season.

Otsuka had 137 saves in seven seasons in the Japanese League, six with the Kintetsu Buffaloes, before being signed in 2004 by San Diego.

He was 7-2 with the Padres with a 1.75 ERA and finished third in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.

Meanwhile, the D-Backs have hired former major league outfielder Joel Youngblood as the hitting coach for Triple-A Tucson.

He replaces Lorenzo Bundy, who accepted a job to manage the Dodgers’ Triple-A Las Vegas affiliate.
Contact Jack Magruder by email, or phone (480) 898-6524
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is he really worth any of those young SP??? he is 34 and only really closed for half a season???

Like to think im a trend setter
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
is he really worth any of those young SP???

Not that I can see.

Of course, I wear glasses... Smile
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd trade Enrique for him, as I think he is a reliever anyway.

Don't think I'd trade any of the other starters though. If the D backs had one more strong ace or #2 type pitcher already in the fold, I would be less averse to weakening starting pitcher depth to get a top reliever, and Otsuka is a really good reliever. But having this guy is not going to be the difference for this team in 2007. It's not nearly as important to add a reliever as it is to sort out the starters we do have, because we are likley to lose BOTH Livan and Davis next year, and we need to know who can fill those innings.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
It's not nearly as important to add a reliever as it is to sort out the starters we do have, because we are likely to lose BOTH Livan and Davis next year, and we need to know who can fill those innings.

I agree completely. As has oft been said, if the '07 Diamondbacks were an Otsuka away from going deep into the playoffs, then, of course, you make the trade. We aren't that close. We won't be in the future if the thinking in the FO is only short-term, "win now" in its approach -- which, to the credit of Josh Byrnes, it doesn't appear to be.

That said, a one-for-one deal, such as EnGon for Otsuka, is a different matter.

Too bad Texas coudn't use a proven veteran star such as Eric Byrnes; who should be traded. Very Happy Byrnes and Julio for Otsuka?
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I'd trade Enrique for him, as I think he is a reliever anyway.

Don't think I'd trade any of the other starters though. If the D backs had one more strong ace or #2 type pitcher already in the fold, I would be less averse to weakening starting pitcher depth to get a top reliever, and Otsuka is a really good reliever. But having this guy is not going to be the difference for this team in 2007. It's not nearly as important to add a reliever as it is to sort out the starters we do have, because we are likley to lose BOTH Livan and Davis next year, and we need to know who can fill those innings.

Im surprized you would be ok with trading enrique. Part of sorting out all of these pitchers (IMO anyway) is keeping the ones you control for the longest - giving you the most time to evaluate....
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otsuka has 3 years of control left.
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
It's not nearly as important to add a reliever as it is to sort out the starters we do have, because we are likley to lose BOTH Livan and Davis next year, and we need to know who can fill those innings.

This is why signing Mulder is a bad move. Signing him means only one young player can be in the rotation. We have a buttload of people to try out and will probably need two more pitchers in 2008.
matt
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
I agree completely. As has oft been said, if the '07 Diamondbacks were an Otsuka away from going deep into the playoffs, then, of course, you make the trade. We aren't that close. We won't be in the future if the thinking in the FO is only short-term, "win now" in its approach -- which, to the credit of Josh Byrnes, it doesn't appear to be.

I sort of agree but we do keep saying this. "If we were X away from going deep in the playoffs, but..."

Yes, no one particular move is going to get us there but we seem to be saying this a lot.

/not singling you out, EJ, this is for everyone. Including me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: