Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What about Eric Gagne?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: What about Eric Gagne? Reply with quote

Byrnes and Melvin seem to have been exploring possible trades for bullpen help. I was just wondering if anyone thinks throwing an offer Gagne's way is worth the time and effort? I realize he is a Boras client, so a cheap incentive deal is not likely. But 3 or 4 million guaranteed for one year, with a club option on year two and some kind of buyout if option deceline might not be the worst offer he would receive.

Trading away a young starter with back of the rotation potential and 6 years of control would not seem to be a good idea. Certainly that type of player is worth 3 million in a straight cash deal, no?

Maybe the risk is just too high, this is not a proposal, I was curious what other people think. Is this a stupid idea?
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gagne presents a lot of the same problems for the Diamondbacks Mulder does. He is high profile and there are other teams out there that might want to sign him, too. There are other teams that would pay him more and that would give him a contract with incentives which the Diamondbacks reportedly don't do. Plus Byrnes has told every one he prefers trades, and I believe him. If the Diamondbacks pick up a free agent, it would probably be a less expensive one. I don't disagree with that approach in this crazy free agent market. The Diamondbacks have thrown away too much money in their early years to take a lot of chances with the free agents this year. Some team(s) will sign Mulder and Gagne. The Diamondbacks might offer them something, but it will not be enough. Evil or Very Mad
azentropy
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure he is worth $3 million, but from what I heard on MLB Radio yesterday he is looking for at $6 - $8 million for a one year deal.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they trade Byrnes to pick up the extra $$ to sign him, I have no problem spending $6-8MM on a chance for the year. <mostly just to see what Hairston can do in LF>
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
If they trade Byrnes to pick up the extra $$ to sign him, I have no problem spending $6-8MM on a chance for the year. <mostly just to see what Hairston can do in LF>

I don't think he is worth $6-8m if there hasn't been another starter added. Also why not take a chance on Keith Foulke for less money and what sounds like less risk.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy coming off an injury who has had many others? A guy who may not even be able to pitch effectively next year wants a team to gamble 6-8 million dollars on for that year? Are there any suckers out there? George Steinbrenner? Sabien? Theo? Get lost, Josh Byrnes. You have a bad Twisted Evil attitude. You don't think I'm worth 6-8 million bucks.

Last edited by Tucson DBacks Fan on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he was looking for more than 5, but I don't think he's got any offers.

I figured 4 might be enough.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's already turned down $4 M from the Dodgers, with incentives that would have boosted it to $10 M.

Eric Gagne-R- Dodgers Dec. 7 - 12:52 am et

Eric Gagne rejected an offer from the Dodgers that would have guaranteed him about $4 million with a chance to make about $6 million more in incentives.

Not only does Gagne probably feel he can do better elsewhere, but he reportedly wants to go to a team that would guarantee him the chance to close. Boston would seem to be his best bet, especially if he wants to get to the postseason. If he's willing to accept a setup role, Toronto would be an intriguing alternative.
Source: Dodgers.mlb.com
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also why not take a chance on Keith Foulke for less money and what sounds like less risk.

Well, foulke is going to cost 3-4 million as well, and if I could get Gagne, I would rather risk 3-4 million on him then foulke, as there is much greater upside.

If you are going to take the high risk, the bullpen and your last 4 million to spend is not a bad place to do it. Foulke has ALMOST as much the risk as gagne, without nearly the same amount of upside.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espo wrote:
tmar wrote:

I don't think he is worth $6-8m if there hasn't been another starter added. Also why not take a chance on Keith Foulke for less money and what sounds like less risk.

You didn't get the gist of my statement. If they trade Byrnes, I don't care what they do with the money they save as long as it isn't a multi-year commitment.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see why not....ASLONG...

1) his money does not cost us not getting any other deals this offseason....

2) his money does not cost us not getting any other deals this inseason....

Like to think im a trend setter
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry about that. Didn't catch that. I would agree with you on that then. I just would rather have Foulke for a year at $3-4M then Gange for $8M for a year.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espo wrote:
Ah sorry about that. Didn't catch that. I would agree with you on that then. I just would rather have Foulke for a year at $3-4M then Gange for $8M for a year.

I agree with that....i would not condone spending more than 4 million,.....maybe 4.5 million, or if you really really twist my arm, 5 million on Gagne.

No way 8, and he won't get that anyway. I doubt he gets over 5
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather they move Byrnes, stash the extra cash, and spend it on the '08 team. I would say otherwise if we were going to contend for the division, but the Dodgers are running away with it, and if not, a closer at $6M isn't going to be the difference for us - a starter or LF'er at $14M will be. And even then, we're talking about a lot guys under 1,000 career AB's. We'd be wise to move everything that costs money that we don't plan on being with us in '08. '07 is going to be the rebuilding year, and we can finish near the bottom of the division with a $60M payroll just as easily as a $40M payroll.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
He's already turned down $4 M from the Dodgers, with incentives that would have boosted it to $10 M.

Eric Gagne-R- Dodgers Dec. 7 - 12:52 am et

Eric Gagne rejected an offer from the Dodgers that would have guaranteed him about $4 million with a chance to make about $6 million more in incentives.

Not only does Gagne probably feel he can do better elsewhere, but he reportedly wants to go to a team that would guarantee him the chance to close. Boston would seem to be his best bet, especially if he wants to get to the postseason. If he's willing to accept a setup role, Toronto would be an intriguing alternative.
Source: Dodgers.mlb.com

Just saw this now David. Obviously this makes my question moot.

Should we lock the thread??? Embarassed
Hank
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gagne without the steroids is kind of useless at any price, let alone his asking price...
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with his herky jerky mechanics, I think that he is always just inches away from the DL.

Pass.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlbtraderumors.com is reporting that the Gagne door is soon closing:

Quote:
Eric Gagne To Sign Today?
Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe reports that Eric Gagne should decide whether to become a Red Sox, Indian, or Ranger today.

Edes says the odds favor the Indians and Rangers, who seem more willing to guarantee Gagne $5MM.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Gagne without the steroids is kind of useless at any price, let alone his asking price...

A friend of mine raised this issue in conversation with me as well. I think this is probably another reason to just forget about him.

As I said in the first post, I was just asking and investigating.....kicking the tires so to speak.

He does not pass inspection. Case closed.
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $5mm guaranteed I'm glad the Dbacks aren't doing it. I just don't think a guy who didn't pitch at all really last year after elbow nerve surgery and the fact that some people feel may never be a dominant pitcher again is worth that kind of money.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd be worried about a guy that has spent about as much time on the mound as Terrance and Phillip on the mound in the last two years.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espo wrote:
For $5mm guaranteed I'm glad the Dbacks aren't doing it. I just don't think a guy who didn't pitch at all really last year after elbow nerve surgery and the fact that some people feel may never be a dominant pitcher again is worth that kind of money.

Not so fast...
Bob McManaman / The Arizona Republic this morning wrote:
Arizona also has some interest in free-agent reliever Eric Gagne, whose career began to unravel due to arm injuries. It could be a risky signing, but other clubs, including the Rangers, have talked about a one-year deal and that could make sense for the Diamondbacks if Gagne is able to pass a physical and provide some upgrade to the bullpen.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Espo wrote:

Not so fast...
Bob McManaman / The Arizona Republic this morning wrote:
Arizona also has some interest in free-agent reliever Eric Gagne, whose career began to unravel due to arm injuries. It could be a risky signing, but other clubs, including the Rangers, have talked about a one-year deal and that could make sense for the Diamondbacks if Gagne is able to pass a physical and provide some upgrade to the bullpen.

AZ has a fine relationship with Boras. Gagne may be a better risk than Foulke at this point. Even though he may not be ready to start the season on the active roster
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a team option on a second year I'd be more interested.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to people on primer quoting french canadian papers, gagne has agreed to join the rangers for about $8m on one year deal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: