Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Diamondbacks meet with Mark Mulder, likely headed to Arizona
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allstar
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Diamondbacks meet with Mark Mulder, likely headed to Arizona Reply with quote

Free agent Mulder meets with D-backs

Mark Mulder met with many team officials in the Chase Field, and everyone described the meeting, "very enjoyable." Mark Mulder wants to make up his mind and is likely going to make a choice tonight to come to Arizona due to couple factors such as orgainization famility, youth movenment/talent, and his home being here in Arizona. He will likely become the team's #2 starter once he fully recovers from his surgery behind Brandon Webb, infront of Livan Hernandez and Doug Davis.

I think it's a good move. A very good move.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, you cannot read.

The quotation in question is:

Quote:
"I think Mark would like to make up his mind tonight," Clifton said. "Anyone would like to know where they are going to be, but he's mature enough to know he has to analyze and look at all the teams that are out there and what their offers are."
Guitar Salad
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

Quote:
"I think Mark would like to make up his mind tonight," Clifton said. "Anyone would like to know where they are going to be, but he's mature enough to know he has to analyze and look at all the teams that are out there and what their offers are."

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

Quote:

Laughing
That confusion of optimism for reality sounds eerily similar to Kevin Myers' declaration in American Pie...

"No longer will our FA budget remain flaccid and unused! From now on, we fight for every fan out there who isn't getting trade when he should be! This is our day! This is our time! And, by God, we're not gonna let history condemn us to no FA signings! We will make a stand! We will succeed! We will get Mulder!"
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hopeful they'd sign Mulder to a hometown contract, but everyone out here has thoroughly crushed my optimism with damn facts and statistics...

But one benefit in signing Mulder is that he won't be ready at the beginning of the season, so we could have two of the young guys in the rotation for the first couple months - and we'd then have options as to who stays and goes when (and if) Mulder returns.

If we sign Ohka, only one of the young guys is gonna get a look.
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mulder more than Ohka. Both will garner similar contracts, but Mulder has a higher upside...
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulder has the potential to be either the best or worst FA signing this offseason. Either way he'll be cheaper than some other options out there, and I hope they give Mulder a shot.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article linked in allstar's initial post in this thread:

Quote:
There's been some speculation that some teams might offer Mulder an incentive-laden contract to assure themselves that he is healthy, but that could be problematic for the D-backs, who have a strict policy against including incentives in contracts.

The club is particularly against clauses that reward a player for games played or innings pitched. The D-backs showed some flexibility last winter when they negotiated a contract with free-agent outfielder Jeff DaVanon that based his player option for 2007 on active days on the roster after having some concerns about his shoulder. Whether or not they would offer something like that to Mulder is unknown.

I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV), but it seems to me that the DeVanon contract provides a loophole in the "no incentives-based contracts" policy we've been told exists in the Diamondbacks FO to drive Russ Ortiz through.

That's the only way I can see any sense to signing Mulder at this point...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that was in relation to his OPTION YEAR, and only affected the value of his option, did not affect his 2006 salary. Also, the dollar difference overall were less than half a million. And knowing if it was going to be the higher or lower figure was something they were able to figure out by around the All Star Break.

Thats alot different than the probably millions of cost uncertainty that would exist in a Mulder incentive contract. Still, I have to think that Josh will take some kind of incentive based deal back to ownership for approval.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diamondbacks are not going to be very successful in the free agent market this year for any "hot" players they are competing with other teams for, especially this early in the offseason. The Dodgers or one of the other NL West teams might offer Mulder a nice package just to keep Arizona from getting him. I predict another team wins the auction for Mulder. If not, I'll be happy to say I was wrong. The Diamondbacks are watching their pocketbook a lot more closely than most of the teams they are competing against. Rolling Eyes In this crazy free agent market, that is not a strategy that is going to net many good players for the Diamondbacks. Other teams seem all too happy to pay these guys way more than they look to be worth.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucson DBacks Fan wrote:
The Diamondbacks are not going to be very successful in the free agent market this year for any "hot" players they are competing with other teams for, especially this early in the offseason. The Dodgers or one of the other NL West teams might offer Mulder a nice package just to keep Arizona from getting him. I predict another team wins the auction for Mulder. If not, I'll be happy to say I was wrong. The Diamondbacks are watching their pocketbook a lot more closely than most of the teams they are competing against. Rolling Eyes In this crazy free agent market, that is not a strategy that is going to net many good players for the Diamondbacks. Other teams seem all too happy to pay these guys way more than they look to be worth.

Which current FA is worth grossly overpaying this offseason?

Let LA and SF mortgage their future while getting older. That is the strategy most likely to fail.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's worth grossly overpaying for players. What I do think is that fans should not get taken in by newspaper articles that the Diamondbacks are close to signing high profile free agents when there are some crazy teams also bidding for them who have a lot of money to throw around. This thread began with the assumption that the Diamondbacks are close to signing Mulder, and I don't think it will happen.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media will always speculate. It's their job to create articles and talk-shows that sell ad time, and sizzling trade rumors create the kind of excitement that does just that.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Keep in mind that was in relation to his OPTION YEAR, and only affected the value of his option, did not affect his 2006 salary. Also, the dollar difference overall were less than half a million. And knowing if it was going to be the higher or lower figure was something they were able to figure out by around the All Star Break.

Thats alot different than the probably millions of cost uncertainty that would exist in a Mulder incentive contract. Still, I have to think that Josh will take some kind of incentive based deal back to ownership for approval.

No headache at all with what you said, shoe. My point was only that there have been incentive-like clauses in contracts that the Diamondbacks have offered in the past. As such, an incentives-bsed contract could be offered in the future - policy or not.

As for budgetary considerations, as I've already said in this (or a similar) thread: If the FO wants to be conservative, calculate the maximum charge of said contract in the given budget year; and take the savings, (if any) and either pay down the debt or roll it over into the next budget year. So, if the incentives-based contract to Mulder has a $2M base and an additional $4M possible in performance-related payouts, charge the current budget for $6M, be happy and hopeful, and you can't lose on that basis (from a budgetary POV). You either get a great (or good) performance, and are glad to pay for it; or you get a crummy one, with some $$$ that carry over in some way.
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a list ever compiled here that had names of MLB pitchers who have had similar rotator cuff surgery?
Bob A
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulder DOES have the potentital to be either the BEST or WORST FA signing we have made in a long time. To further complicate matters the D'backs for some reason don't want to give incidentive-laden contracts. Therefore we have to pay more than other teams to get him, or so it seems. I know we've mentioned this before but this strategy makes little or no sense to me.
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about worst (Ortiz)
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, if Mulder never stepped on the mound it'd be better than Ortiz.

I'm in favor of incentive deals, big time. I think every deal shoul have personal and team performance incentives. Like Shoe said, if you're getting production for that $, there's no problem with that.

That said, Mulder is risky. What's the highest $ he has guaranteed? '07 is going to be a zero year for him, but the potential is there for an improved '08 and solid '09/'10 yrs. But he's also been deteriorating for the last few years, so he's a risk even if he gets healthier.

Maybe making a push for another trade would be best. We picked up Davis without losing any prospects, which leaves options on the table to pick up the #2 we need.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meeting - which included Mulder, Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes and manager Bob Melvin, among others - took place Wednesday.

Just how serious the dollar-conscious Diamondbacks are is unclear.

"We had a good meeting," Byrnes said Thursday. "I won't get into specifics, but I will confirm that we met."
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

I wonder what Mulder wants.

If he wants some kind of multi year guaranteed deal, for security, then he has to know he is not going to get top dollar because he's coming off surgery, and must be considered a big injury risk. Whereas before the 2006 season, he was looking forward to a payday similar to what Zito is likely to get, obviously he would get substantially less than that as of right now. His possible 5/75 or whatever has probably turned into Adam Eaton money or 3/24 at best, on a long term Guaranteed deal. (I don't see lower than 3/21 is possible at all)

OTOH, he may want to try the Nomar method, i.e., sign a one year deal, prove he can come back, and if he has a good second half in 2007, set himself up for the bigger payday next season. That is a very risky strategy for Mulder, but Athletes are a confident breed. While I don't think this is what he is aiming for, I wouldn't rule it out.

There are alot of teams chasing him, it seems, but I am sure most of the other teams are thinking about incentive deals. So I am sure he will be weighing the balance between how much is guaranteed and how much is likely to come from incentives.

My guess is that Mulder and his agent probably revealed the direction they would like to see this go in, and now the D backs have to figure out what kind of deal they are willing to offer.

So....if you are Mulder what to you want?

A) Lower cost multi year deal, security
B) One year deal at higher amount, another crack at FA after 2007
C) A combination incentive deal, but reasonable Guaranteed money.

At the end of the day, it seems there are enough suitors for Mulder, and the market is up so much, that it will push the risk/reward needle a bit too far into the risk side of the meter. It will be a longshot to have the deal work out in terms of production value per dollar ratio...if you know what I mean.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I really would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the fact that he won't even be ready til May or so, I don't think he'd be wise to go the Nomar route. And given the injury, an incentive deal is a big risk for him also. He's taking the highest guaranteed deal on the table.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=79991

Quote:
The Diamondbacks, who did not offer Gonzalez arbitration, were expected to receive the medical reports from St. Louis on left-hander Mark Mulder on Saturday.

Mulder, who underwent rotator cuff surgery Sept. 12, has received contract offers from San Diego and Texas despite uncertainty about his return date, agent Gregg Clifton said, and the Mets also have expressed strong interest since re-signing Tom Glavine.

The Diamondbacks have indicated they will make an offer, and Clifton said St. Louis has discussed the parameters of a deal with Mulder.

Clifton said he has been telling teams to expect Mulder to make between 20 to 25 starts this season.

Mulder is to begin his throwing program January 1 and is scheduled to throw from a mound March 1.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prediction:

5 million for 2007, 8 million for 2008, Club Option for 2009 at around 9 million.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Prediction:

5 million for 2007, 8 million for 2008, Club Option for 2009 at around 9 million.

From what Mulder and his agent have said about the Diamondbacks' team and organization, direction, etc. AND the Valley Resident® aspect, Mulder would jump ALL over that deal.

I think they should take a chance on him, I really do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: