Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Andy Green Gone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Andy Green Gone Reply with quote

According to Japantimes, Andy Green agreed with Japanese Club to play there next year.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sb20061128a1.html

Quote:

Green joins Fighters

Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Andy Green has agreed to a contract for next season with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, Nippon Ham chief supervisor Toshimasa Shimada said Monday.

The versatile 29-year-old made 73 appearances for the Diamondbacks this past season and had a batting average of .186. He has batted .199 in a total of 136 games in the major leagues.

Meanwhile, the Japan Series winners, who expect to officially announce the acquisition of Green in the next few days, said they will not be giving a new contract to left-hander Brad Thomas.

Does that mean we lost him forever, or only this year?
I thought he is still under D-backs control for few more years.

Is he being leased to Japan? If so, it might be good for both Green and D-backs. Green will get plenty of playing time and chance to shine. That will be good for D-backs. They can use him that next year or Trade him for something in return.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diamondbacks sold the rights to Andy Green to the Nippon Ham Fighters. The Dbacks get some cash back (less than half a million) and Andy gets the opportunity to play every day in Japan for the next year or two. This is a great opportunity for him to get some consistent playing time there, which wasn't going to happen in AZ, and to make more cash than he would have being a reserve in AZ. And he gets to eat Kobe beef every day Smile

Good luck to Andy. He certainly deserved a better opportunity to show what he could do in AZ in 2006, especially coming off his PCL MVP season in 2005. It's a shame that his at bats were given to old fart Damion Easley. That was bad judgment call on Josh Byrnes and on Bob Melvin. At least Adny gets a second chance to jump start his career... you never know, he could be back in the major leagues in a couple of years.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw, the Ham Fighters are defending champs in Japan. Their favorite band is the Foo Fighters Laughing
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he does really well over there.

I would put the Easley signing right alongside the Grimsley and Mulholland signings as the worst moves Josh has made to date.

Hey....we sing his praises most of the time, for good reason. He is proving to be an excellent GM. I just hope he has learned from these mistakes and does not give Melvin anymore "proven veteran toys" to mess up the good young players with.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I just hope he has learned from these mistakes and does not give Melvin anymore "proven veteran toys" to mess up

unless they run on batteries?!
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any old codgers being signed this year so far. Rolling Eyes
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would put the Easley signing right alongside the Grimsley and Mulholland signings as the worst moves Josh has made to date.

Not to mention, we also lost Dan Uggla, bcos of those dumb signings.
I dont know if thats JB's fault or not. He was new to D-backs and probably didnt know about Uggla.

But he could have taken the help of Scouts though. May be they also failed to realise his potential. Whom should we blame for this Mess?

Uggla gone, Green gone? ... Aaargh....what if ....?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've beaten up JB just about enough over the Uggla incident... He did get Callaspo for a song, so I've already forgiven him...

Just don't trade Callaspo, you hear me, Josh? You're going to have one angry customer on your hands, that's for sure...
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the loss of Green, there's a spot open on the 40 man roster. There's a little more money to spend. Good luck to Andy. H e was going nowhere with the Diamondbacks, but he could have a nice future in Japan.
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

With the loss of Green, there's a spot open on the 40 man roster.

Thats the first thing i checked on mlb site.
I didnt see andy greens name on it.

Are we going to get him after a couple of seasons or Did we lose him for ever?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
Quote:

With the loss of Green, there's a spot open on the 40 man roster.

Thats the first thing i checked on mlb site.
I didnt see andy greens name on it.

Are we going to get him after a couple of seasons or Did we lose him for ever?

If by "we" you mean the Dbacks, the answer is "yes".
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy f'n Green???

If Mr. "PCL MVP" was good enough for the Majors don't you think he would be playing for another club or that we would have received more than JB's monthly expense account for him?

Sayonara Andy. No big loss here.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:
Andy f'n Green???

If Mr. "PCL MVP" was good enough for the Majors don't you think he would be playing for another club or that we would have received more than JB's monthly expense account for him?

Sayonara Andy. No big loss here.

There's more to life than you can see...

Arguably, the Dbacks have the depth to cover the loss of Andy Green, which is why they agree to let him go. But Andy Green does have enough of a bat and versatility to win major league rosters spots... he just isn't a "proven veteran" like Tony Clark or Damion Easley... which is what gets you a roster spot a lot more often than pure ability.

The world is full of guys who can play in the majors but don't, simply because they never got real chance...
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck A Green. I personally think he was never given a fair chance here, and will do just fine for himself in Japan. Easley should have never been signed - that was his spot.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
There's more to life than you can see...

I'm sure that's true levski. Wink

(I stole this from TAP)
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any question about it - Green is going to light it up in Japan. Just compare his 2005 PCL stats to Conor Jackson's or Carlos Quintana. Or to anyone else's, for that matter.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell wrote:
I don't think there's any question about it - Green is going to light it up in Japan. Just compare his 2005 PCL stats to Conor Jackson's or Carlos Quintana. Or to anyone else's, for that matter.

Maybe Sergio Santos and Luis Terrero should join him in The Land of the Rising Sun??? Wink
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of those two ever had the kind of minor league success that Green had.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our farm system, I'm sure that the 29 other clubs are scouting the shit out of us looking for the next Dan Uggla. I am also confident that JB and Co are bright enough to shop a "hot prospect" that doesn't fit in our system and there seemed to be no takers.

I could be wrong.

Edit:

BTW, while AG never impressed me on the big league level, I do wish him the best.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:

BTW, while AG never impressed me on the big league level, I do wish him the best.

Despite Green's PCL success in 2005, there never seemed to be anyone clamoring for him to have a regular spot in the lineup, as compared to CJ and CQ. I do agree that Easely sucked up (in more ways than one) the majority of innings/ABs that "should" have gone to Andy Green. My own impression of Green was that he had the potential to be the next Craig Counsell.

I certainly hope that the move to Japan is a good one for him.
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I was quite upset when he was getting virtually no playing time last year. BoMel kept starting Easley when we had several players who could have done much better. Green was coming of a PCL MVP year, and we had recently acquired Callaspo. Both deserved a shot to play last year.

Also, had we not signed Easley, we would likely had held on to Uggla. (though who was talking about him before his breakout season last year?)
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Details on the Andy Green to Japan deal
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was never too heartbroken over green getting f'd over. i mean, sure, i'd rather the small amount of playing time went to him over easley, but really it wasn't enough playing time to get me too riled up.

and he was pcl mvp, but he just never stood out as a "for real" prospect to me. at best, i always saw him as utility -- like someone else said, the next counsell. but that spot went to callaspo, so green was SOL.

it sucks, and it's stupid -- paying easley whatever million or so he made, instead of paying green league min for the same (or better) production, but it's no travesty.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was for Green Wink
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that Green might be one of those guys who doesn't hit well in a utility role, but lights it up when he plays full time.

The problem was simply that Melvin didn't think he was good enough to play full time here, so he never got to show what he could do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: