Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dodgers closing in on Pierre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Dodgers closing in on Pierre Reply with quote

Link

Quote:
The Dodgers are close to signing free-agent center fielder Juan Pierre, possibly paving the way for free-agent outfielder Dave Roberts to sign with the Giants, Brewers or Rangers, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Orioles are on the fringes of the Roberts sweepstakes but they are also pursuing free-agent left fielder Carlos Lee, sources say.
Pierre, 29, has had over 200 hits in three of the last four seasons.

Pierre, who hasn't missed a game over the last four seasons, hit .292 in 2006 with the Cubs.

He won a World Series with the Florida Marlins in 2003.

Roberts, who spent the last two seasons with the San Diego Padres, is most known for his speed on the basepaths. He stole 49 bases in 2006 and his career stolen-base percentage is better than 80 percent.

Roberts, a career .270 hitter, won a World Series with the Boston Red Sox in 2004.

Meh.... I cant wait to see the contract... Pierre was supp offered 3/30 by SF...
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave roberts is due to turn to dust eventually -- it seems appropriate that it'll happen in a giants' uniform. probably during an attempted steal. he'll take off from first, and a poof of dust will drift into second, just after the tag. poor stephen drew will be spitting little bits of roberts-dust out of his mouth.

and seriously? how are the dodgers going to spin this as an "upgrade" -- going from jd drew's offense+defense to juan pierre's... frenchness?
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
and seriously? how are the dodgers going to spin this as an "upgrade" -- going from jd drew's offense+defense to juan pierre's... frenchness?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Wink
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank g-d he's going to sign with the Dodgers. It saves Milwaukee from making the blunder of overpaying/over-extending a mediocre player just to fill a need. Now if only someone would sign Dave Roberts and get him off the market too.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

echoing mccray...

do dodger fans realize that they are paying almost as much money (with if rumor is true 2 more years added 5Y/$45M) as they would have paid for drew (3Y/$33M)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6191380

edit - is pierre an upgrade over lofton???
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lofton is better. Pierre is one of the worst hitters in the game.

the dodgers are such idiots. serves them right
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was sorta looking forward to the dogfight between az and la for the nl west over the next decade -- ned colletti is ruining the dodgers chances.

now it won't be as dramatic when we win the division 10 yrs straight...
Aaron
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Crasnick at ESPN.com is reporting the same amount (5 yrs, $45MM). Wow, how cool is this? Go Colleti go.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Lofton is better. Pierre is one of the worst hitters in the game.

the dodgers are such idiots. serves them right

yes sir.........he stinks, he is a bad singles hitter at best!!!!!

his agent should get a nice fruit basket for getting him 5 years and 45 million

Like to think im a trend setter
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Pierre isn't that bad. He's a career .303/.350/.377 who averages over 40 SB/yr at a 74% sucess rate. He's not a bad guy to have on your team at all, its just that the dollars and years are out of whack.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are right, and the SB is way overvalued. If you look at it as if a sucessfull SB is an extra base and a CS is an extra out then his line of .292/.330/.388 last year becomes .292/.295/.471. I know that doesn't account for all the positives and negative effects of SB's and CS's but I'm pretty damn sure .292/.295/.471 will not get you 5/$45
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at Net Colletti. Check out the highlighted quote below. I guess he never heard of a rate stat or OBP.

From Chicago Sun Time Good to read the rest of the article too

Quote:
Seeing double

Ned Colletti is cornering the market on leadoff hitters. One year after signing Rafael Furcal to a surprising three-year, $39 million contract, the Dodgers GM landed Juan Pierre for five years, $45 million.

They apparently will bat Pierre in the No. 2 spot, using his high-contact, low-impact approach in a traditional, Nellie Fox fashion. It's amazing that a guy the Cubs were ambivalent about re-signing could land a five-year contract, but Pierre has a good reputation within the game and led the National League with 204 hits.

"This man gets on base an awful lot," Colletti said. "He gets 200 hits or more, is a great guy on a club and, like Nomar [Garciaparra], has great qualities as a human being."

Pierre also led the league with 20 caught-stealings, the fifth time in six years he has been at the top of that category. The most troubling stat was just 32 walks in 740 plate appearances. Pitchers have realized there's no reason not to challenge him.

The Dodgers would have been better to re-sign Lofton and wait another year on 22-year-old Matt Kemp, who has shown he can become a dynamic force in center.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

From Chicago Sun Time Good to read the rest of the article too

"Williams added an outfield option in Luis Terrero, a right-handed batter who has hit .235 in 182 games for Arizona and Baltimore, in a minor signing."

LMAO!!! I truly hope that the ChiSox aren't serious about LT being an "option."
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone of the D-backs hitters 2b totals for next year just increased by 5. Too bad they (the dodgers) couldn't nab Carlos Lee. That would be one horrible outfield defense... Would have been great for all our gap hitters.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projekt wrote:
Everyone of the D-backs hitters 2b totals for next year just increased by 5. Too bad they (the dodgers) couldn't nab Carlos Lee. That would be one horrible outfield defense... Would have been great for all our gap hitters.

No worries, the Dodgers will nab Gonzo for LF. Plenty of 1st to 3rd on singles to LF...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: