Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Estrada Gone, Doug Davis in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a sec...if you would of told me, we got Eveland, Gio gonzalez etc...etc for Estrada, that would of been a great trade, but also Doug Davis a good 3, great 4, who's 4.5 compliant, (whatever 3.6 means) How in the heck did Davis fall into our laps? He pitches a lot better than his numbers indicate for his style. This Eveland gets his head on straight, gets his big ass over to the perfomance institute, he may be a monster.

Last edited by Dangerfield on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Nah... Some of 'em will become free agents and move to a board in Seattle... Wink

Nah, they're going to have to severely overpay me to go to the Seattle board...then again, Bavasi has proven he is up to the challenge.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield, glad you like the trade. What is the performance institute?
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.athletesperformance.com/facilityTempe.php
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that place is sick. A couple HS friends that played for ASU said they saw pro's there all the time.

I'm liking this trade more and more. Got a solid 3 or 4 and gave up no prospects. Also, having 3 guys up front that are pretty solid for eating innings should allow us a little flexibility in identifying which starter prospects are the one's to keep. Gotta figure between the 4 prospects, 2 will reveal themselves during the '07 season as capable of filling the 4 and 5 slots in the rotation. Livan's contract will end, freeing up another $6M(?) to upgrade at the front-end of the rotation for '08-'10.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6214654

Quote:
The Diamondbacks think their improved defense should benefit left-hander Doug Davis, whom they acquired from the Brewers in a six-player trade. Davis had a .314 batting average on balls in play last season, 11 points above the league average. He figures to be less afraid of contact if he is more confident in his defense, and that should lead to a lower walk total. Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon Webb had a high walk rate when his defense was shoddy in 2004.
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that Tracy is working on his defense alot right now. If he keeps up the shoddy defense from last year, our "improved" defense may not be so improved after all... (though the OF should be pretty improved over last year.

Q will be better than Green was last year. I expect big things from Young in CF next year. And if the lineup stays the same as last year, Byrnes will be much better in LF than Gonzo was last year. He is much faster, and has a better arm (though almost anyone in the Majors has a better arm than Gonzo).

Jackson looked to be improving at 1st base, and its not that hard of a position to do well at. 2b is manned by the reigning Gold Glove winner, SS is Drew's and seems to be in good hands. at catcher, Snyder is an improvement over Estrada defensively. 3b is really the only Question Mark defensively.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
http://www.athletesperformance.com/facilityTempe.php

Awesome....I think I have heard of the place, but had forgotten the name.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It couldn't hurt not having Rickie Weeks throwing balls away behnd you Smile

Last edited by David B on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosenthal doesn't sleep, does he?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6218276

Quote:
The Dodgers' fallback position if they fail to trade for Ramirez could be free-agent outfielder Luis Gonzalez, who also is drawing significant interest from the Cardinals and Orioles. Gonzalez, a left-handed hitter, would be a good fit for the Orioles, taking advantage of the short right-field wall at Camden Yards and helping unite a factionalized clubhouse. The Cardinals and Dodgers, however, would offer better chances to win.

One general manager describes free-agent right-hander Miguel Batista as "one of the most underrated guys out there." Batista, 35, is very intelligent and stays in excellent condition. The Cubs, Mets, Royals and several N.L. West clubs are believed to be among the teams pursuing him. Batista was 11-8 with a 4.58 ERA for the Diamondbacks last season, working 2061/3 innings .

The Diamondbacks, Padres, Giants, Rangers and Indians are believed to be among the teams interested in free-agent left-hander Mark Mulder, who had season-ending shoulder surgery in August and isn't expected to be ready by the start of the season. The Diamondbacks would benefit from adding Mulder to a rotation that already includes Brandon Webb, Livan Hernandez and Doug Davis. Ditto for the Padres, who could add Mulder to Jake Peavy, Chris Young, Clay Hensley — and maybe Greg Maddux.

And speaking of something that might interest me only me:

Quote:
The Braves appear unlikely to sign free-agent left-hander Tom Glavine unless they can trade right-hander Tim Hudson, whose salary will rise from $6 million next season to $13 million in both '08 and '09. Braves second baseman Marcus Giles also remains a candidate to be moved; he continue to generate significant trade interest despite the glut of second basemen on the free-agent market.

Depending on how much talent the Braves would want back, I'd be on Timmah like white on rice...
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
And speaking of something that might interest me me me only me:
Quote:
The Braves appear unlikely to sign free-agent left-hander Tom Glavine unless they can trade right-hander Tim Hudson, whose salary will rise from $6 million next season to $13 million in both '08 and '09. Braves second baseman Marcus Giles also remains a candidate to be moved; he continue to generate significant trade interest despite the glut of second basemen on the free-agent market.

Depending on how much talent the Braves would want back, I'd be on Timmah like white on rice...

Which players would you sacrifice for Timmy if the monogram on your polo shirt spelled 'JB'?
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projekt wrote:
I really hope that Tracy is working on his defense alot right now. If he keeps up the shoddy defense from last year, our "improved" defense may not be so improved after all... (though the OF should be pretty improved over last year.

Q will be better than Green was last year. I expect big things from Young in CF next year. And if the lineup stays the same as last year, Byrnes will be much better in LF than Gonzo was last year. He is much faster, and has a better arm (though almost anyone in the Majors has a better arm than Gonzo).

Jackson looked to be improving at 1st base, and its not that hard of a position to do well at. 2b is manned by the reigning Gold Glove winner, SS is Drew's and seems to be in good hands. at catcher, Snyder is an improvement over Estrada defensively. 3b is really the only Question Mark defensively.

Concurred. Jackson improved immensely over the year. Actually, it was about 6 weeks in when he started pickin throws out of the dirt and stopped making the rookie spaz mistakes. Night and day between what I saw in Tucson and the end of '05, and the beginning of '06 - this is continued from the mlb board, but Shoe was right, I was wrong. Shoe was smart, I was stupid. I'm sure Shoe is very good looking, I'm not very attractive...-. O-dawg is the exciting player in the IF that makes the plays you go to games for. Drew will make the everyday play and surprise occasionally. Maybe Tracy learns how to throw to 1B. But I also think he'll have a comeback year and get closer to the .300 mark with far fewer K's, maybe some more walks, but a lot more 2B's. You just have to figure he's gonna calm his swing down a little but will still have more power than in '05.

In the OF, we're way faster at every position with better arms across the board. Due to the deep alleys, we gotta have speed to cover that right-center gap, otherwise it's an auto triple. We should be pretty solid in the field if our pitchers can keep the ball in the park.

This is not going to happen, but what would it do for our team if we got Manny? How would he impact others? I know there are the Q's regarding his clubhouse effect, maybe forcing the manager into a double standard situation that would create resentment amongst the rest of the players. But we might be the only clubhouse where the rest of the players would all be in awe of him and know that he has earned the right to do whatever he wants. All of our youngsters have been watching Manny hit ropes since jr. high.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Davis is an innings eater with surprisingly good K numbers for a pitcher that doesn't have "stuff." His walks were way up last year, and keeping that under cotrol is going to be a big key as to how successful he is.

Davis responds... Wink
Steve Gilbert / MLB.com wrote:
So feel free to refer to Davis as an innings eater, but just don't call him a "crafty" lefty.

"I don't nibble away on the outside, and I think that's crafty -- trying to get guys to swing out of the zone away," Davis said. "I actually bury guys in with my cutter and bounce my curveball. Every now and then throw my changeup. I don't' really favor the crafty part. I just pitch to contact and just try not to hit the sweet part of the bat. That's the main thing about pitching, you've got four or five inches to avoid."
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shoe was right, I was wrong. Shoe was smart, I was stupid. I'm sure Shoe is very good looking, I'm not very attractive

Well, at least you got one of the three right Laughing
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 4 out of 6.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Gonzalez, a left-handed hitter, would be a good fit for the Orioles, taking advantage of the short right-field wall at Camden Yards.."

The only way Gonzo is going to regularly reach the right-field wall next year at Camden Yards is if he becomes a switch hitter.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell wrote:
"Gonzalez, a left-handed hitter, would be a good fit for the Orioles, taking advantage of the short right-field wall at Camden Yards.."

The only way Gonzo is going to regularly reach the right-field wall next year at Camden Yards is if he becomes a switch hitter.

Did you forget that Luis bats left-handed?
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I guess that was too subtle a joke. You see, if Gonzo becomes a switch hitter, then he'll also bat righthanded, where he will ALSO swing late, and hit balls to the rightfield wall at Camden. Batting lefthanded he doesn't hit many long balls to RF anymore.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Russ Ortiz is still pitching for them he'll probably hit the left field wall a lot!
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell wrote:
No. I guess that was too subtle a joke. You see, if Gonzo becomes a switch hitter, then he'll also bat righthanded, where he will ALSO swing late, and hit balls to the rightfield wall at Camden. Batting lefthanded he doesn't hit many long balls to RF anymore.

Way to subtle for this simple mind at first blush. Embarassed

matt wrote:
If Russ Ortiz is still pitching for them he'll probably hit the left field wall a lot!

That I got! Laughing
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blackstien at Rotoworld.com weighs-in on this trade.

Desert Dealings

Quote:
For Arizona, adding a very durable innings-eater, regardless of how mediocre he may be, is huge. With NL Cy Young winner Brandon Webb and Livan Hernandez already aboard, that gives the Snakes three arms who can log innings. The D-Backs will have to pony up to keep Davis, but at the very least he'll pitch for them in 2007, and if (however unlikely) he can revert back to his 2004-05 form, Arizona may come out ahead in this trade. Of course, Hernandez can also become a free agent after 2007. The wildcard here is Eveland; if he can keep his weight under control and develop into a quality starter (and given his career minor league ERA of 2.69, there's a good chance he will), I like this trade for Arizona from a long-term perspective.

Dbacker4Life
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good trade.

We definitely NEEDED a lefty.

the only problem i have is Damian miller is being replaced by a whiner. *sigh* Rolling Eyes

I'll live. he will live.

Anyways, good job Josh. Very Happy
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!!.....I was wondering if you would ever stop by!! Very Happy
Dbacker4Life
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Welcome!!.....I was wondering if you would ever stop by!! Very Happy

oh ....its not like i haven't been here before....I just forgot my other username for not coming here all the time...so i just made up a new one =D. And considering I forgot my other username, it probably wasnt good anyways, haha

but I do accept more welcomes though..no one can have enough of those. I'll try to avoid the idiots on the other board and come over here more often XD
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dbacker4Life wrote:
oh ....its not like i haven't been here before....I just forgot my other username for not coming here all the time...so i just made up a new one =D. And considering I forgot my other username, it probably wasnt good anyways, haha

It was SweetSacrifice. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: