Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Estrada Gone, Doug Davis in
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Estrada Gone, Doug Davis in Reply with quote

Finally A trade by JB this offseason.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061125&content_id=1745907&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote:

Unable to keep up with the recent free agent spending spree, the Brewers instead swung a six-player trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks on Saturday and added three players likely to play major roles with the big-league club.

Milwaukee received former All-Star catcher Johnny Estrada, right-handed starter Claudio Vargas and right-handed reliever Greg Aquino for steady left-handed starter Doug Davis and a pair of prospects, lefty Dana Eveland and outfielder David Krynzel.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intial feeling is that i like the trade. Although Davis had a down year, he has had past success recently, and we also got an outfield and pitching prospect. We traded 3 guys who basically are easily replaced...

COuld we have gotten more? i dont know... that may be the only downside...
kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though i like Doug Davis, i think we might have given up more.
Thats the cost of good pitching market i guess.
Zephon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say "meh"

Doug Davis is a nice addition to the rotation... I don't know much about the prospects though. Any one care to offer some insight on them?

Edit with some more thoughts: Dana Eveland could turn into something useful. The outfielder we got is pretty much just MIL roster filler.I think we gave up too much.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two enthusiastic thumbs up! Sweet deal, JByrnes.

We've all known Estrada was a goner, and I've been advocating that we get rid of Vargas for a while now. Aquino, despite being a hard thrower, was a long shot to make the pen next year.

I've always liked Davis; he's got one year in arb left, but I think the Dbacks would be wise to offer him a two year deal with a potential option of 09. He is a better pitcher than his 06 stats suggest.

And Eveland has excellent minor league record. Another lefty who throws hard and will be under control for the next half a decade. He's probably the favorite for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Krynzel... well, we need outfielders in AAA, now that that Quentin, Young and Hairston are all going to be in the majors, right?

Again, two thumbs up, JB. Now flip Eric Byrnes for more pitching or some decent prospects, and I'll buy you a couple of beers next time I'm in AZ. Good job.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Again, two thumbs up, JB. Now flip Eric Byrnes for more pitching or some decent prospects, and I'll buy you a couple of beers next time I'm in AZ. Good job.

Somehow, i feel better seeing you think this was a good trade. I cant say i have seen eveland or kyrnsel - but i think it is interesting we got an OFer (CFER) back in a trade... sign of deal involving byrnes or davanon? Or i guess hairston..
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we gave up too much at all.

Davis is a good LEFTY pitcher that had a down year last year, but he certainly is not in "decline" by any means.

Davis is definitely more valuable than Estrada, assuming the D Backs can lock him up for a couple of years. Only one year of Control, FA after 2007

Eveland is a very good prospect., and I would not pay too much attention to his callup numbers. I would even say he is one of the top 3 favorites for the 5th spot in the rotation. The D backs control him for the next 5 years.

Vargas is never going to be any better than he was last year, and he is ill suited to Chase Field, and he is about to start getting expensive in arbitration. I'm glad he is gone.

Aquino has a good arm, but hasn't been able to put it all together. Honestly, he may be the only one in this trade that makes JB regret letting him go....but that isn't very likely either.

Krynzel is indeed minor league roster filler, although if they need to call up him due to injuries atthe major league level, he might be a serviceable 5th outfielder. He can run and steal bases.

Good work Josh.

Now Trade Eric Byrnes for Freddy Garcia, (White Sox need a CF) and watch the D backs take the west next year with a rotation of Webb, Davis, Livan and Freddy.
Zephon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we need some stats up in this thread now.
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree this is a good deal for us
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7. DANA EVELAND , lhp Age: 22 B-T: L-L Ht: 6-1 Wt.: 240
Drafted: JC of the Canyons (Calif.), D/F 2002 (16th round) Signed by: Corey Rodriguez

Background: Eveland was a draft-and-follow signee in 2003, one year after the Brewers gave Manny Parra $1.5 million as a draft-and-follow. Eveland joined Parra in the Huntsville rotation in 2005, blew past him as a prospect and spent much of the second half in Milwaukee’s bullpen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Eveland has a build that evokes David Wells and has some of Wells’ pitchability as well. His fastball sits at 88-90 mph, touching 94. Eveland adds and subtracts off his fastball and commands it well. His slider can be a plus pitch, aided by his deceiving, crossfire delivery. His curveball has good depth.
Weaknesses:
Like Wells, Eveland has trouble maintaining his weight. When he became a reliever, his conditioning lagged as he couldn’t maintain a workout schedule between starts. His changeup is his fourth pitch, though at times it is average.
The Future:
The Brewers hoped Eveland would get back on a conditioning track in the Arizona Fall League, but a knee injury ended his stint prematurely. If he’s healthy and in shape, he could have the inside track on Milwakee’s fifth starter’s job.

2005 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO AVG
Huntsville (AA) 10 4 2.72 18 18 0 0 109 96 4 38 98 .237
Milwaukee 1 1 5.97 27 0 0 1 32 40 2 18 23 .317

10. DAVE KRYNZEL, of Age: 23 B-T: L-L Ht: 6-1 Wt: 180
Drafted: HS—Henderson, Nev., 2000 (1st round) Signed by: Bruce Seid

Background: Krynzel fouled a ball off his right foot in late April last year, forcing him to miss two months. He recovered nicely and earned his first taste of big league action in September.

Strengths: Krynzel is a superb center fielder, combining range, athleticism and arm strength. His greatest asset is pure speed that can create havoc on the basepaths. He has a line-drive stroke, with more raw power than his numbers suggest.

Weaknesses: Krynzel needs to work counts better and reach base more consistently to hit atop the order. His swing can get long, leading to high strikeout totals. Despite his quickness, he has succeeded on just 66 percent of his pro steal attempts and must learn to read pitchers better.

The Future: With Scott Podsednik gone to the White Sox in the Carlos Lee trade, Brady Clark is all that stands between Krynzel and the center-field job. He’ll get a long look in spring training, but if he doesn’t improve his plate discipline soon, he could get pigeon-holed into reserve-outfielder status.

2004 Club (Class) AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB
Indianapolis (AAA) .271 .327 .411 258 36 70 10 4 6 26 20 63 10
AZL Brewers (R) .500 .600 .688 16 8 8 1 1 0 0 3 2 2
Milwaukee .220 .319 .244 41 6 9 1 0 0 3 3 15
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis THT Stats

Davis BBALL REF PAGE

Eveland Cube Stats

Krynzel Cube Stats
Zephon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-1 240? eveland is definately a big boy, that's for sure. I weigh 240 AND i'm 6'9.

edit: On a side note, i so better get signed this spring, or i'll be pissed

Last edited by Zephon on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite like our history with trading with the Brew Crew, but hopefully JB knows what he's doing. Davis seems nice, and hopefully he's the most we could've mooched out of Estrada's great year.

I guess we could also add Daron Sutton to this trade Laughing
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys that CONSISTENTLY throw 200+ innings and can do that at league average ERA get between 8-10 million on the free agent market these days.

It would be great if we got the 2004 version of Davis, but I would be ecstatic with the 2005 version, or even his 3 yr avg version.

211 IP 4.04 ERA 11 wins

He just needs to walk fewer batters than he did in 2006
Ryan
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept a close eye on Davis last year, as he was on my fantasy team.

He struggled with control a lot in '06, but if he's right he's going to miss a lot of bats.

He was Milwaukee's #2 last year. I like this move on paper.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key to the trade is Eveland. Thoe are some nice minor league k/w and k/ip. We were not going to get Phil Hughes (at least not now) for this motley crew. The only issue with Eveland is his health/weight. Otherwise he looks good to me.

Davis is OK. An upgrade over Vargas, but after this year (when he is under contract for about 3.3M--a bargain as shoe points out [edit error: he is in the last year of arb this year so below]), he becomes a FA after 2007. Do you try to sign him for another couple years now? Do you wait until ST? Either way, he is not going to be a star and his price for 2007 is going to go up. I like having him, but he is not someone to go wild over.

Krynzel may be the sleeper here. Not so much for what he will do, but that he may give JB the freedom to trade EB. The only justification for keeping EB is as insurance if Young is not ready. Now you have any option plus Davanon and CQ if Young needs more seasoning. I don't think he does, but who knows for sure.

We didn't give up much. Estrada was gone and is close to FA. Acquino is inconsistent and at best a reliever who is pretty fungible at this point. Vargas was never a good fit here--the small sample immediately after his acquisition when the announcers were raving about how smart JG was notwithstanding.

How have the Brewers done in their trades involving their young pitching? The key here seems to me is how you evaluate Eveland. I like his numbers but is there a catch?

For the Brewers it adds a catcher, but what about Miller? Didn't he just re-up? Estrada wasn't happy here sitting. How is he going to do in M-town? I don't see that Vargas is an improvement over Davis, but Acquino is much more valuable than Krynzel at this point although this might be like saying floor mats are more important than the trash bag in your car.

Last edited by stu on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zephon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damian miller is pretty much done. he'll be a back up catcher next year.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice analysis stu. Overall I like this trade.

Johnny's going to have a hard time catching the first few games of his Raiders season-ticket package from Milwaukee. Wonder if he'll be spewing more venomous comments towards the AZ organization now, or if he'll just be mature and zip it.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Guys that CONSISTENTLY throw 200+ innings and can do that at league average ERA get between 8-10 million on the free agent market these days.

I think Davis is arb eligible right now. I don't think that he is under contract.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TAP.

Miller appeared in 101 games last year. He had about 330 ab's. 251/322/390. Estrada 302/328/444. He exercised his player's option for 2.25M so that probably indicates he is reaching the end of the line.

We have discussed mutual option before. Miller's case is the classic example. The club had an option that it could exercise at 3.75. Miller had an option that he could exercise at 2.25 (there are some incentives and buyouts here that makes the total number a little higher). So you see the mutual option as giving the club the option at a higher price and the player the option at a lower price.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, another example of JB's closed mouth. There wasn't much speculation that this would happen. In fact, the last Estrada thread did not even mention the Brewers although shoe did in the one some time ago, with the thought that Miller could be a FA.
Wright16
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewers fan here. Everyone seems to agree on this side that Eveland could be the key to deal. He was brough in last year(05) as a left reliever & did well until the end of the year. He did no impress much in 06. Rumor had it that he was suppose to come to camp dropping some weight but actually gained some. Could be a nice left arm.

Krenzyl was a # 1 draft pick from a few years back(2000 I think.) He has speed & some power, possibly a 20/20 guy if he could pull it all together. Has a cannon for an arm. Had dirt bike accident last year(05). Could be a 4th outfielder at best. Seems to have regressed in AAA.

Davis(Sharpie(nickname), due to his thin mustache)has been a solid pitcher for the Brewers. He has been reliable & pitched deep ito games. Had an off year last year but was our 2nd pitcher behind Sheets the past 3 years. Seemed like he did not get a lot of run support in 04 or 05. I believe one of those years it took him 6 or 7 times to go from his 9th to his 10th win. It was pretty much a known factor that he was gone since the end of the year. He is looking for a 3 yr 21 million dollar contract. With his off year & the contract I think they felt best to trade him. I never remember hearing anything bad(attitude) about him.

As far as our catching situation goes, Miller did resign for next year but I believe he hit .203 after the break & he had the option for this year that he picked up for 2.25 million. He is a fan favorite because he is one of the few Brewers from Wisconsin. Altough so was Counsil(sp).

Maybe they will make another trade for Byrnes just as the Brewers did last year with the Blue Jays. First Overbay to the Jays for Bush,Gross, & Zack Jackson & the a couple of weeks later for Koskie. They lost out on Dave Roberts & Juan Pierre. They dont think Tony Gwynn Jr is ready yet. Oh well enogh on the Brewers.

Good Luck, I hope the trade works out well for both teams.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad on Davis' contract situation. He is in his last year of arb this year. His contract only ran through 2006. He i still under the Dbacks control but will cost more than 3.25M. So, do we give him the 3yr/21M deal? Sorry for my confusion.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/milwaukee-brewers.html
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any WAGs, links, insight on what Davis could get through arb for '07?
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without looking at recent arb number 5-6M. He isn't going to get FA money which would be 7-9 for a long term deal, but he is going to get more than his 3.5 or thereabouts from last year.

The EB for Garcia tade makes so sense. That is not an overpowering, but a very solid rotation with Garcia. That team would be a contenda'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: