Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Team Revenues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Team Revenues Reply with quote

It's a long winter, so why not throw some things out there. If this thread is in the wrong topic, my apologies. And Sheffield got moved pretty quick, eh?

The Yankees, and Mets soon, receive a significant level of revenue from their own TV channels. I don't have the exact figure, but I've read about the Yankees and how Minaya was anticipating additional revenues when the Mets channel is operational.

Has this method been replicated in other large markets - LA, Bos, Chi? Could we? Maybe a Diamondbacks and Suns partnership launching their own channel? Figure a full baseball season, plus another 81 games plus playoffs makes for quite a bit of programming.

And what about anything else that will get us out of this hell-hole of a $60 million payroll? Figure if we've already sold everything out that requires no imagination, maybe something that alters the structure of revenues could help the organization buy its soul back. Mainly because I'd like to see us be able to afford to keep our guys as they become more expensive through arbitration and free agency, as well as having the financial ability to go out and pick up the complimentary pieces we need.

So how bout making this the brainstorming thread, where the crazier the idea the better. I'm about to slip into a Nyquill coma and could come back with some cool shit.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the boring answer to increased revenue is to increase interest in the team. I'm not talking about the ups & downs we'll have due to performance, I'm talking about the long-term hooking of die hard fans like the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox et al enjoy.

I know this is obvious, but I believe one of the long term objectives is to develop young fans into die hard fans. It's going to be difficult to turn the 50 year old ex-Chicagoan into a die hard D-Backs fan, but the 7 year old kid who got Quentin's autograph while at batting practice is going to be easier to mold.

I'll try to think of something else a little more creative and obscure later.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a Dbacks/Suns network is population. The teams with their own networks have a huge population base that justifies it in total viewers (not share where both the Dbacks and Suns do well). I think there are just not enough people in the viewer area to justify a separate station.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need cash? The Dbacks should pimp out Eric Byrnes on 27th avenue a couple of nights a week.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lev, I thought you were just a callow lad when you left Phoenix. How do you know so much about Phoenix nightlife. Maybe I don't want to know Laughing

Would Byrnes make more on 27th or the Roosevelt loop? Is Danny Bonaduce around to answer this question?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
lee mellon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matsuzaka would sure help bring in some money. We've all seen the circus that follows Ichiro around like little lost puppies, imagine the baseball pilgramiges made to the valley by Japanese diehards & all of the dollars they'd bring. Plus, it would be really convenient for them seeing as how they're all at the Grand Canyon anyway...

and maybe the team could "sponsor" a couple of those Roosevely loop hookers. They'd bring in at least $1000 a night each and if they can sign enough of them, they'll pay for Stephen Drew's contract extension in a few years.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee mellon wrote:
imagine the baseball pilgramiges made to the valley by Japanese diehards & all of the dollars they'd bring. Plus, it would be really convenient for them seeing as how they're all at the Grand Canyon anyway.

If you've ever vacationed down-under, you know that the other half of Japan's tourists are in Australia. Razz

Almost any tour you go on in Australia includes a Japanese interpreter to accommodate the large number of Japanese participants.
lee mellon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ew, I'd never go to Australia.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia is the best place in the world, if you haven't been. The area between Brisbane and Melbourne is basically like the California coast in the 1960's/'70's. Brisbane=San Diego; Sydney=LA; Melbourne=San Francisco. Everybody is nice and there is a commitment to retaining the environmental integrity of the land. I'm moving there as soon as I convince the rest of my family.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee mellon wrote:

So I guess you are saying you don't like Japanese then.

It is just the Japanese you have trouble with, or Asians in general?
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a host of things wrong with that post, even in a "brainstorming" thread.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it was also mentioned that the Red Sox anticipate recouping nearly all of the $35-$40M in transfer fees from broader exposure to the Asian markets and merchandise sold. That's kind of what I was thinkning about shelling out the $ for this guy, that a team without much presence in Asia could benefit a great deal beyond on-the-field performance from getting this guy. Besides, the rest of the world is fixated on the Wild West/Grand Canyon/Cactus/etc. All of my foreign lady "friends" call me cowboy just cuz of where I'm from.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Australia is the best place in the world, if you haven't been. The area between Brisbane and Melbourne is basically like the California coast in the 1960's/'70's. Brisbane=San Diego; Sydney=LA; Melbourne=San Francisco. Everybody is nice and there is a commitment to retaining the environmental integrity of the land. I'm moving there as soon as I convince the rest of my family.

Right on, gary. My only beef with the Aussies is how they've treated their native aboriginal people and the attempted extermination of the kangaroo population by a select few.

I've snorkled and ocean kayaked off the Great Barrier Reef, white water rafted through the northern rain forest, hot air ballooned over the inland, thrilled to high-speed glass-bottom helicopter rides around the northern coastline, done all the requisite touristy things in Sydney, and had a grand time with the incredibly friendly Australians I met throughout the country.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
lee mellon wrote:

I picked up on that too but thought maybe I just misread it.

Racist in the midst or just over-reactionary readers? Details at 11:00. Surprised
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
The problem with a Dbacks/Suns network is population. The teams with their own networks have a huge population base that justifies it in total viewers (not share where both the Dbacks and Suns do well). I think there are just not enough people in the viewer area to justify a separate station.

What is our defined viewer area? Cuz the AZ population is around 6Mil and rapidly growing. If the market drifts into New Mexico, maybe Las Vegas, or Sonora, you could be looking at the major Southwestern market. Otherwise, it seems like there is a necessary critical mass of about 10-12Mil or so.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think if it was economically viable at this time, there would at least be proposals or plans in the works.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
lee mellon wrote:

I picked up on that too but thought maybe I just misread it.

Racist in the midst or just over-reactionary readers? Details at 11:00. Surprised

Maybe he just doesn't like Australia? Confused

I think the Aussies have the highest poisonous/dangerous animal/insect population per capita in the world. Just about everything there can kill you; spiders, snakes, fish, lizards. Oh, and sharks.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
I think the Aussies have the highest poisonous/dangerous animal/insect population per capita in the world. Just about everything there can kill you; spiders, snakes, fish, lizards. Oh, and sharks.

Ain't it cool! Kind of like Arizona plus sharks. Cool
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent about 13 weeks in the heart of Sidney in 2000 doing a software install and got a strong indoctrination into their culture/diversity etc. I could bore you for hours with stories.

The one thing I will say is that they have both a strong Asian and Middle Eastern population there but they all seem to get along pretty well.

Businesses in Australia tend to import all of their executive talent from overseas <Britan, Asia, US, Europe> and all of their home grown star executives leave Australia to further their careers abroad.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf? not liking australia makes you racist against asians? isn't that a little like saying that because i hate canada, i clearly despise the muslims? Confused
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the 3 post series and understand the context McCray....

The post of 11:08 by lee mellon, , Taps response of 11:37, and then mellons response of 11:40

I think he is making his feelings known pretty clearly in these posts.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that he was expressing not wanting to be somewhere inundated with a bunch of the prototypical Japanese tourist party we're used to seeing in the movies.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think the typical American tourist group is perceived overseas?

Where do you think the phrase "ugly american" came from? Wink
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
read the 3 post series and understand the context McCray....

The post of 11:08 by lee mellon, , Taps response of 11:37, and then mellons response of 11:40

I think he is making his feelings known pretty clearly in these posts.

okay, sorry 'bout that. i had eleventy billion tabs open, and was skipping around between them posting. i missed the entire first half of this conversation, just caught the latter part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: