Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Which one would you trade for pitching?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one would you trade for pitching?
Quentin
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Upton
31%
 31%  [ 14 ]
Drew
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Jackson
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
Young
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I Would not trade ANY of them for ANY pitcher
25%
 25%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 44

shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Which one would you trade for pitching? Reply with quote

OK.....if this team wants to aquire an ESTABLISHED front of the rotation starter, ( or a guy that is so obviously on the cusp of becoming a front line guy ) someone to pair with Webb to make a dominating 1-2 punch, they are going to have to give up something. And Alberto Callaspo and Scott Hairston are not gonna get it done.

It's going to take one of the 5 golden Children.... I purposely left Carlos Gonzalez off, because I don't believe he has that kind of trade value yet, and won't till he puts up some numbers at AA. Obviously if he has a really good year at AA, then he is in the same category, trade value wise, but he's not there yet.

So which one would you trade to get that Front Line guy to pair with Webb?

Vote in the poll, AND tell us your reasons. The very future of the franchise is at stake!! Let your voice be heard....THIS IS THE QUESTION

P.S. The order in the poll is a shoutout to one of our esteemed members Wink

Last edited by shoewizard on Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of the Mods can help me to add the following option to the poll, I'd appreciate it:

B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
If one of the Mods can help me to add the following option to the poll, I'd appreciate it:

Done.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I had the none of the above option when I voted. Mad

I voted for Upton because a) I don't want to dismantle the team that's just rearing its ass-kicking head, b) he's the most unproven quantity on the list, c) we'll all probably be real happy with a Quentin, Young, C-Gonz outfield in the future, d) teams would probably bite, and e) Callaspo, Hairston and/or Tracy weren't on the list.

But I really would have voted none of the above.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....so there isn't one pitcher out there you would trade for then.
That means the team would have good offense, for sure, BUT....it also means you are going to have to get VERY lucky with your pitching prospects and draftees....IN A HURRY. There isn't one starter in the minors that projects to be a front of the rotation starter, and that includes Owings.

So either you get another Webb like guy to come out of nowhere and confound all the scouts and experts.....OR....by the time this organization drafts and develops top end pitching talent, it will be 2010 and all these young studs are going to be deep into arbitration and approaching free agency.

I don't think they can or will stand pat....and Byrnes is indicating pretty strongly that he won't.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted jackson -- least demanding defensive position, and while his obp skills are golden, he doesn't seem like the prototypical 1bman power-wise. also, 1b is the easiest position to fill either by FA or by having tracy, barden, gonzalez, etc switch to 1b.

if jackson could get a bonderman type (a pre-ace, but on the cusp of acedom) then i do it. upton i might not trade unless it was for someone young, controlled, and very very clearly an ace... and i doubt the twins are moving johan any time soon.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While torn between "None" and Upton, I finally voted for Upton because I agree with Shoe that Byrnes cannot stand pat -- there must be some deal for a pitcher. So, why Upton? I'm not the insightful analyst others in our merry band have shown themselves to be; I rely a lot on their reports and insights. If we have to give up one of the "golden children," I choose the one who has yet to sparkle -- even though he may one day sparkle more brightly than any, or all, of the others.

It has been said, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The other four are here, and have all shown they can play, and all have definite potential for even more than we've seen so far -- Upton is still a few years away from the plateau the others have already reached. If we're gonna go for it, let's start now...

My $0.02...
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh...

how about you tell me whom we're acquiring first?!

yeah, i'll trade upton for carl pavano. sign me up... Wink
Me and Frenchy walk a ton.

And Tony Pena cuts in line...
The Fan
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Upton because he still has a ways to go. He has enormous talent, but from what I've read and heard, he can be a little lackadaisical. I think Chris Young will be an excellent offensive/defensive centerfielder with the hustle.....IMHO. Very Happy
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that the poll means for the pitcher of our dreams, say J. Santana. Phrased another way, which one of these guys is the most expendable for pitching.

I voted Jackson for the reasons mac cites. I think Jackson will be a very good player and maybe even an all star, but I think Upton can be a superstar. The type of player who can win championships.

Last edited by stu on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purely in terms of ceiling and position, jackson would be the most easily replaceable (thus tradeable) player. in terms of talent, or how I see them panning out over their careers in az, i'd rank them thus:

upton > young > drew > gonzalez > quentin > jackson

however, i do think that they are all supremely talented, and i'd like to keep all of them, potentially by moving to the AL so one of them can DH

McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you see in gonzalez that i don't yet? i mean, i take your word he's going to be GOOD -- you tend to be right, and i've given up arguing with you and eventually finding out i'm wrong. but WHY is gonzalez's ceiling higher than quentin's (who rocks)?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
what do you see in gonzalez that i don't yet? i mean, i take your word he's going to be GOOD -- you tend to be right, and i've given up arguing with you and eventually finding out i'm wrong. but WHY is gonzalez's ceiling higher than quentin's (who rocks)?

age and tools, mostly. even though i'm open to changing my mind. i don't think the gap between the two will be that significant...

Guitar Salad
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Jackson because he seems to be the most readily replacable guy with Tracy able to play first well enough. That said, what would we have to throw in with him? Maybe Nippert and/or Hairston. I think that would probably be worth it, but it may not get it done. Upton was my second choice. He's farther away and things can more easily go awry with his development, but, as Levski said, he has the highest ceiling among our prospects. We'd definitely need control of said pitcher for at least three years for it all to be worthwhile.

Any way you look at it, it's difficult to trade away any of these guys. I'm holding a huge mancrush on all of our minor leaguers. It's hard to be rational and pull one away for the pitcher we need oh-so-badly to be 'for real' in the post season.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson for reasons that Levski and others have already stated. First baseman is easier to replace than middle position players... and there is far too much potential upside to Upton to part with him (without possibly wanting to commit hari-kari in the future when he's tearing up the league)
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson for all the reasons mentioned. Should have been check sheet, cuz I would've included Young and Quentin, too. But this is for a Santana type pitcher. I want to see where Upton goes from here. He's further along than Quentin was when he was a frosh at Stanford.

Ideally, I'd like to trade the Hairston/Callaspo's for guys that are yet to peak, but have showed some good signs and just get more solid across the board on the pitching side. It's just a necessity at our park. The fact is, anybody will hit when they come here. Even Danny Bautista. Look what Byrnes did. Marginal players will sign here and for cheap, and will have career years.

But instead of trading those guys, I'd rather we trade Hudson, Estrada, and Byrnes. If the other team is concerned more about the cost/production issues and that drives them to want the cheaper players even if they aren't quite as good, why don't we include the cash to make it like the other team is financially getting a cheap player, but with the higher ability.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all of our "prospects", who would be the most fungible...hmmm...let's see...could it be...JACKSON!!!

http://www.countrykeepers.com/images/church_lady.jpg
VIII
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New here...

Anyways, I think that Upton would have to go because we already have Chris Young at CF. If onlyl Upton could adjust to LF...

The Curse of The Snake Bite Strikes!
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upton can play all OF positions.
VIII
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then crap, I can't change my vote. Evil or Very Mad

The Curse of The Snake Bite Strikes!
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
McCray wrote:

age and tools, mostly. even though i'm open to changing my mind. i don't think the gap between the two will be that significant...

Nice hedge. Wink
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
sigh...

how about you tell me whom we're acquiring first?!

yeah, i'll trade upton for carl pavano. sign me up... Wink

When I ask this question, I take it as a given that Josh Byrnes is not going to trade one of these guys just for the sake of trading one. He is going to get equal or better value. At least as best can be perceived at the time. And he has shown that he won't make a move just to make a move when it involves a highly rated player.

Are you saying the trade value of these players should not be explored at all? I don't agree with that.

A wise man knows ALL his options. I am pretty sure that Byrnes will exlpore them all.....so at this stage, anything is possible....(within reason of course)
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, anyone is tradeable for the right price.

Upton shouldn't be considered. First of all, he is the most likely to be a superstar player of all of them. Second, his pre-mlb value hasn't had enough time to build either. Third, and probably most important, you don't go trading people away because they MIGHT be blocked in 2 or 3 years unless they are farther down on the depth chart.

I have them ranked:

Upton>Drew>Young>Quentin>Jackson>Gonzalez.

Therefore, I choose Jackson for teh previously mentioned reasons.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upton>young>quentin>drew>gonzalez (in lev i trust on this one)>jackson
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...the WORST I imagine Jackson being in aggregate in the next 3 years is 120 OPS+

I see something like 115, 125, 130 over the next 3.

I don't envision higher than 140 as a career peak, but it wouldn't shock me either.

So if all the others are as good or better than that, (position adjusted) they are really going to have a hell of an offense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: