Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AHHH! Broadcast relief!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere on this board but I for one greatly appreciated the chance to watch two ballgames on TV where the broadcast duo were not a destraction but a pleasure. I'm speaking of the two games on TBS, Rockies vs Padres and Rockies vs Phillies, where Don Orsillo and Joe Simpson did the air work.

No juvenile rants; no HEY! Deron screams; no silly babbling; and especially no color-man attempting to describe in excruciating detail every single thing from the pitcher's attempt to get a signal to why the ball bounced just a few inches shy of the foul line to what volume of food is eaten, all things (and more!) needing no such descriptive fan abuse at all.

I would hope that Derrick Hall watched these games and took notes to apply to our own broadcast booth duo, especially to mute Grace and his exceedingly self-indulgent, silly and juvenile style.

Probably a forlorn hope, though.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

charlie wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere on this board but I for one greatly appreciated the chance to watch two ballgames on TV where the broadcast duo were not a destraction but a pleasure. I'm speaking of the two games on TBS, Rockies vs Padres and Rockies vs Phillies, where Don Orsillo and Joe Simpson did the air work.

Since getting MLB Extra Innings package the past two seasons, I've watched several BoSox games... partly because they are a good, entertaining team and have earlier games than we do... but also because I like Orsillo and the NESN broadcasting crew.
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

charlie wrote:
... especially to mute Grace and his exceedingly self-indulgent, silly and juvenile style.

Here's hoping something opens up real soon for Grace in Chicago... Wink

The bad news is that someone like him (only more so) will be hired as his replacement...

A team of Sutton and Candiotti would be pretty darn good, in my estimation... Very Happy
Chris24Young
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you thought Stockton and his 1,000 fuckups last night was better than Sutton and Grace.. Rolling Eyes

He called Aramis Ramirez, Rodrigo Ramirez, and was about 3 hours late on Reynolds' homerun call, and seems clueless on just about everything.

Ripken sounds fucking retarded on the TBS, Inside the MLB
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
If you thought Stockton and his 1,000 fuckups last night was better than Sutton and Grace.. Rolling Eyes

He called Aramis Ramirez, Rodrigo Ramirez, and was about 3 hours late on Reynolds' homerun call, and seems clueless on just about everything.

Ripken sounds fucking retarded on the TBS, Inside the MLB

Stockton said last night that 2007 was Zambrano's best year because he had 18 wins. Rolling Eyes

And who could forget Julio Jorge ? Razz
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of factual errors in one game alone was unforgiveable. This is a national broadcast of a playoff game. Do a little homework before getting on the air.

With all of Grace and Sutton's antics, at least they know what they're talking about in most cases.
- 2008 World Champions
matt
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Grace and Sutton. They switched out with Greg in the middle innings on the radio. Sutton had an intense HR call for Drew.
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24Young wrote:
Ripken sounds <expletive deleted> retarded on the TBS, Inside the MLB

Yes, Ripken was amazingly bad as a commentator. A surprising plus? Mike Bacsik, on one of the shows on ESPN this morning.

The broadcast team who called the game on Monday between the Pods and Rocks may be the cure for insomnia...
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I like Grace and Sutton. They switched out with Greg in the middle innings on the radio. Sutton had an intense HR call for Drew.

Kiss it goodbye!! Heard the replay -- fantastic emotion! Very Happy
- 2008 World Champions
Dylan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care how bad Stockton is, at least we had no "Scooter" or "Home Plate Cam" shots in the game. Announcers can be muted or tuned out, Kiddie graphics and pathetic camera angles cannot.
csktech
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

charlie wrote:

No juvenile rants; no HEY! Deron screams; no silly babbling; and especially no color-man attempting to describe in excruciating detail every single thing from the pitcher's attempt to get a signal to why the ball bounced just a few inches shy of the foul line to what volume of food is eaten, all things (and more!) needing no such descriptive fan abuse at all.

I would hope that Derrick Hall watched these games and took notes to apply to our own broadcast booth duo, especially to mute Grace and his exceedingly self-indulgent, silly and juvenile style.

Did you even watch the Dback Cubs?

The media crew sounded like they got the assignment 30 minutes before airtime. They didnt know the players. They didnt know the teams or the history. AND they called the game like a terrorist heading for Gitmo.

Give me Grace and Sutton.
Tucson DBacks Fan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Grace and Sutton better. Embarassed
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe Charlie referred to the D-backs broadcast at all.
B. O. N. D.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
I don't believe Charlie referred to the D-backs broadcast at all.

No, not last night's broadcast. Confused

Quote:

They can be fools, but goddamn it, they're our fools.
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daron Very Happy
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:

Thanks Daron Very Happy

WHOA. Cool sign.... That gets right to the point eh?
birdbrain
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

csktech wrote:

My sentiments exactly. I don't understand how listening to these morons wouldn't leave one sorely missing Grace & Sutton. Bear in mind--no pun intended--that I am female. Rolling Eyes
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

birdbrain wrote:
csktech wrote:

My sentiments exactly. I don't understand how listening to these morons wouldn't leave one sorely missing Grace & Sutton. Bear in mind--no pun intended--that I am female. Rolling Eyes

Wouldn't that pun be "bare in mind"? Wink
- 2008 World Champions
Tucson DBacks Fan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point about bare in mind, but I think bear in mind makes more sense because afterall the Diamondbacks are playing the Cubs. Twisted Evil
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucson DBacks Fan wrote:
I see your point about bare in mind, but I think bear in mind makes more sense because afterall the Diamondbacks are playing the Cubs. Twisted Evil

A double-pun! Beware the cracking of the universe upon such poignant punnery. Surprised
- 2008 World Champions
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Tucson DBacks Fan wrote:

A double-pun! Beware the cracking of the universe upon such poignant punnery. Surprised

Or, as Shakespeare might have said, "Get thee to a punnery!" Twisted Evil
charlie
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

birdbrain wrote:
csktech wrote:

I don't quite understand why criticizing other bad announcers/color people for their poor performances somehow elevates Grace to a more acceptable level. Sutton actually isn't so bad except that he plays up to Grace and his antics far too much.

Dick Stockton is incredibly bad! He's been horrendous with his mistakes so far but it isn't as if Grace is mistake free, either. He's wrong much of the time, from his predictions to actual descriptions of what just happened on the field before our very eyes. I guess his bombastic, egotistic, loud, overbearing juvenile style is what passes for entertainment for some instead of the game itself.

And, regarding a comparison of Stockton et al with Grace/Sutton, I suppose one also might find it a relief merely to have a hatpin stuck into one's butt cheek a dozen times an hour instead of a railroad spike.

But, to each his own.
csktech
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: AHHH! Broadcast relief! Reply with quote

charlie wrote:
birdbrain wrote:
csktech wrote:

I don't quite understand why criticizing other bad announcers/color people for their poor performances somehow elevates Grace to a more acceptable level. Sutton actually isn't so bad except that he plays up to Grace and his antics far too much.

Dick Stockton is incredibly bad! He's been horrendous with his mistakes so far but it isn't as if Grace is mistake free, either. He's wrong much of the time, from his predictions to actual descriptions of what just happened on the field before our very eyes. I guess his bombastic, egotistic, loud, overbearing juvenile style is what passes for entertainment for some instead of the game itself.

And, regarding a comparison of Stockton et al with Grace/Sutton, I suppose one also might find it a relief merely to have a hatpin stuck into one's butt cheek a dozen times an hour instead of a railroad spike.

But, to each his own.

Just because you dislike, or even hate, our broadcast team, doent me that we do. What you find juvenile or bombastic, I call experiancing the success of our team and showing it in a fun manner.

that is much more welcome than a media team that isnt prepared and frankly is biased for the Cubs before the first pitch is even thrown.

The Rockies win two and suddenly the Phillies are on the brink of elimanation, but The Dbacks with the same 2-0 record, our TBS assigned morons can only say "Wait till they get to Chicago."

So I say again: Give me Grace and Sutton.

but I will agree, different strokes for different folks.

Kyle
Go Dbacks
dbackfanron
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching some of the Indians/Yankees game and I thought the team of Chip Carey, Bob Brenley, and Tony Gwyn were very good. The only problem was being able to hear them over the crowd noise. A technical problem TBS should fix.
thesidewinda
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
I was watching some of the Indians/Yankees game and I thought the team of Chip Carey, Bob Brenley, and Tony Gwyn were very good. The only problem was being able to hear them over the crowd noise. A technical problem TBS should fix.

I love when that happens.. Very Happy
"The Diamondbacks led the NL in victories, conventional wisdom said that they were too young, too inexperienced to go any further. There are people getting paid to say things like this, and all you can do with them is change the channel."
-Mike Bauman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: