Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did anyone notice...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshByrnesWhenIPee
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Did anyone notice...? Reply with quote

Did anyone notice that the top banner on the Diamondbacks website has replaced Quentin with Young?

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=ari
TAP
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Drew's looking over his banner shoulder at Upton. Laughing
- 2008 World Champions
nanc102179
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you surprised since Quentin has replaced Hairston in the dog house?
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL. Some people said something, but I didn't think they would change it out mid-season.

That is just sad...poor Q.

At least they can never take away my Carlos Quentin bobblehead.
EvilJuan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
At least they can never take away my Carlos Quentin bobblehead.

That knock on your door at 2 in the morning will be the Bobblehead Squad come round to take it away... Wink

Edited to reduce picture size.

Last edited by EvilJuan on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
allstar
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young deserves to be on there.
After all, that's where our 'face of the franchise' guys go on.
Though, I feel bad for Q.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good for Quentin, for moving on purposes and not stringing him along. Hopefully they don't bring him up, in September, and rub more salt in the wound. He'll have a good career in this league. Gm's want their own players.
allstar
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Its good for Quentin, for moving on purposes and not stringing him along. Hopefully they don't bring him up, in September, and rub more salt in the wound. He'll have a good career in this league. Gm's want their own players.

Good point.
But I'm pretty sure Quentin will be up in the bigs in September.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing how much more gas-lighting behavior is going on within the organization, but Q's a pretty borrego, and doesn't deserve the kind of politics that's being done to him. Moorad one day talking about how, he's still part of the team then the next his picture's gone. Nice guy's.

Quote:
But I'm pretty sure Quentin will be up in the bigs in September

For his sake, hopefully its with another team.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
amazing how much more gas-lighting behavior is going on within the organization, but Q's a pretty borrego, and doesn't deserve the kind of politics that's being done to him. Moorad one day talking about how, he's still part of the team then the next his picture's gone. Nice guy's.

Quote:

He'd never clear waivers...so forget that.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

Quote:

He'd never clear waivers...so forget that.

bizarre behavior going on, whether intentional or not, to a good upstanding guy. Of course he wouldn't clear waivers.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...somebody in Marketing probably saw that he was there and Young wasn't, and Carlos isn't even on the major league roster.....

I mean the damage was done the moment Byrnes was signed as far as Carlos' future here....the rest isn't really all that meaningful.

It's actually embarrassing for the team to have the picture of the guy hitting .209 they sent back down to the minors sitting there on your home page.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well give Young a couple weeks and he'll be at 209 with him. Laughing
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
well give Young a couple weeks and he'll be at 209 with him. Laughing

Let me know when Carlos has more the 5 Jacks in Tucson.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he shuts it down, personally, not that, its a that'll show'em, its just that whether you think its Byrnes that caused the trouble or not, he's not here right now, Upton is, Salazar is. Water under the bridge, but I suppose 209 did seal his case here according to youm and is an embarrassment to the future, and I'm not going to get involved with the rhetoric.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos Quentin had his 25th birthday yesterday. I hope it was a good one, Q.

Food for thought:

Age of AZ's outfielders on the 40 man roster, at opening day 2008

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=ari

Byrnes, 32
Salazar, 27
Quentin, 25
Romero, 24
Young, 24
Gonzalez, 22
Upton, 20

Salazar and Romero profile as 4th outfielders, and there's nothing wrong with that. Both should be cheap AND good in that role.

The big problem is that we have 5 starting OFers for 3 spots. Of those 5, Young is the pure centerfielder, and Upton is the future in RF. It's really a no brainer that the two of them will play there in 08.

That leaves 3 outfielders for 1 job, and that job was given to EByrnes. The question becomes, of the three players vying for that last starting job, which one is the best bet for the next 3 years?

If we assume that CarGo won't be ready for full time job here for another year, the choice really comes down to Byrnes vs. Quentin. And that was the choice that the front office + owners already made. It's over.

I'm not sure if Danger is intentionally obtuse or just plain out of it, but if Q got screwed, he got screwed in favor of Danger's lover, EByrnes. It's that simple. You wanna bitch about it, send an email to EByrnes & Moorad.

If you think that Q should be playing instead of Young next year, make your case. If you think Q should be playing instead of Upton next year, make your case. Maybe you think that Q should be playing instead of Salazar next year--but I'll disagree with that. Q has much greater value to AZ as a trade bait than as a miscast right handed outfielder who's only played RF, and may be OK in LF and barely passable to bad in CF.

In my mind, Young in CF and Upton in RF are the clear choices over Q: they are younger AND have higher ceilings (arguably significantly higher ceilings). I also think that CarGo has a higher ceiling that Q, and CarGo is 3 years younger. You cannot just close your eyes and ignore their age.

In the end, it comes down to this:

Moorad wanted Eric Byrnes in LF instead of Q, and Josh Byrnes did NOT believe in Q enough to put his dick on the line for Q and veto Moorad. It is THAT simple. And I can see why JB did not believe in Q enough to fight for him, and it has NOTHING to do with Q being or not being one of "his" guys. It has to do with this:

Over the last 2 seasons, Q has not demonstrated convincingly that he would be an above average corner outfielder in the majors. In fact, he has not demonstrated that he would be even an AVERAGE corner OFer in the majors.

Last year, b/w AAA Tucson and AZ, he hit 18 homers in close to 500 at bats. This year, b/w AAA Tucson and AZ, he has hit 8 homers in a little over 300 at bats. That is BELOW average for a corner outfielder. He doesn't have the plate discipline of a CJ, and his HBP totals won't be nearly as high in the majors as they were in the low minors. So his OBP won't be great either.

So right now, I'd venture that MOST objective projections would have Q as a 15-20 homer guy with .250 ba over 500 at bats in the majors. That is NOT good. Of course, you can argue that he'll only get better, and that he was hurt this year... and those are valid arguments, but at the end of the day, when your dick is on the chopping block, and you're asked to pick your left fielder for the next couple of years, do you pick EB or CQ?

I'm guessing that Moorad promised JB that JB will have the payroll to address the other needs for next year, so then whether he's paying $10m to EB or $400K to CQ becomes relatively unimportant. It's not his money anyhow. And much as I've maligned the signing, EB does give the Dbacks a better option in LF over the next couple of years than CQ. Is EB going to be significantly better? Probably not, but he won't be worse. And his $10m isn't coming out of my pocket.

Long term, as long as the Dbacks keep CarGo around and have him take over LF once EB's outta here, they will have chosen the right 3 outfielders to keep. Or maybe even Parra will come along and take over EB instead of CarGo. Who knows. The reality is, the Dbacks have quality depth in the OF to replace EB AND CQ down the road (in CarGo, Cunningham, Parra). And the reality is, until those three reach the majors, EB will be the better LFer than Q. And the reality is, Q is our best trade bait to land us a solid pitcher in trade this offseason.

I do hope the Dbacks call up Q on Sept 1st, and I do hope he hits well enough here. One, the Dbacks could use some help on offense; and two, a hot Septemer will go a long way toward helping his trade value.

[EDIT] made a couple of clarifications

Last edited by levski on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops

a post so nice i had to make it twice
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent summary of our many phone conversations. Glad I could convince you the EB signing wasn't the end of Josh Byrnes, just Carlos Quentin. Wink
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
oops

a post so nice i had to make it twice

Naw... as now posted, this is a cue that it's a post that warrants at least two reads.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Excellent summary of our many phone conversations. Glad I could convince you the EB signing wasn't the end of Josh Byrnes, just Carlos Quentin. Wink

I'm just trying to be older and wiser. As you'll recall, I staged a vitriolic fight on this board last offseason to get EB traded and SH made the full time left fielder in 2007... and I'll look stupid for that for a long time (which is just par for the course). Now I know better.

Basically, JB and his staff have a lot more information on their players than I ever will, and I'll just have to trust them here. I'll feel a lot better after they've traded Q for some serious pitching help--not only to help AZ's 08 rotation, but to give Q his chance to be a starter.

This coming offseason will be extremely interesting, that's for sure.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah humbug...You guys are right as usual, its all Eric Byrnes fault. Gas light Cq all you want for sport.
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
Bah humbug...You guys are right as usual, its all Eric Byrnes fault. Gas light Cq all you want for sport.

Whose fault is it?

And if you were the GM, what do you do?
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:

Dude, he's not saying it's Eric Byrnes Fault.

This is really simple
Byrnes was extended. There are only two spots left in the outfield.

One belongs to Young in CF, the other Upton in RF.
You can't be advocating for Quentin over Young in CF. Therefore, your left with one choice:

Quentin over Upton in RF. That is what it boils down to.

Now a case could be made that Upton is here a year too early. Perhaps a better way to handle things would have been to just use Salazar in RF against all righties, stick some righty bat in RF against lefties, and just give Q his job back when he was ready to come off the DL.

BUT......they would still have the tough choice to make during the off season...and would end up having to trade Quentin anyway, because there is no way they could keep Upton down in the minors for 2008 as well.

Anyway.....this entire "JB is going with "HIS GUYS" is a red herring. He's going with the guys he thinks will give him the best chance to win the pennant.
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:

Whose fault is it?

And if you were the GM, what do you do?

I wouldn't of brought up Salazar or Upton. Put it that way. And your analysis of the situation, while good leaves out, what CQ is, and Reynolds is, and that's situational platers. Care to go back through those stats, on Cq.

Also although business is business, pulling of the picture and the guy bringing it to our attention in my opinion hopefully was done on accident. Still a stupid insensitive thing to do at this point.
kris
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent analysis Levski.

I have some agreements and some disagreements too.
I may not be 100 % right, but here is my 2 cents.

Quote:

If you think that Q should be playing instead of Young next year, make your case.

Q did not live upto expectations this year. Agreed.
Based on talent CY should play next year for D-backs, compared to Q. Agreed

Quote:

And the reality is, Q is our best trade bait to land us a solid pitcher in trade this offseason.

I doubt that.

As we all know,
1. Next year D-backs have Webb and DD who can give 6 or 7 innings per start
2. RJ is a Question Mark. We never know ...
He has motivation to get 16 WINS to join 300 club. But Will he ?
3. Micah is good in one outing and Bad in another. Inconsistency...
4. No.5 pitcher is nobody. Right now its a committee.

So for 2008, D-backs would need an elite pitcher.
Boston gave Hanley Ramirez(As a main player) for Josh Beckett
You can only imagine who it would take for D-backs to get an elite pitching in return.

Assuming Upton is untouchable, Its between CY/Q/CG
CY has most trade value right now, compared to Q, to bring us an elite pitcher like Bedard/Hamels/Beckett (I doubt if boston would bite..)

Q's trade value is at its lowest.
If CY is traded, Upton or EB can move to CF.
Q can play LF and improve his trade value.
His trade value cant go any lower than now it already is.

So trading CY has 2 benifits.
1. Get ACE pitcher in return
2. Q can improve his trade value

CY's CF defense will be missed.
But Upton will have chance to learn/excel CF
If Upton in CF doesnt work out.
D-backs have $10 M man, EB

By the way, D-backs still have CarGo, Cunningham, Parra in minors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: