Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fans speak out on attendance
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Fans speak out on attendance Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0813dbacksfans.html

I wanna punch some of these people. Even if they are old ladies....

To get to live close enough to see this team and basically give them the finger while others who wish so bad to see them don't get to is just... well punching old lady worthy.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathetic.

Just goes to show how much Gonzo's whining, and distortions really hurt the club.

Kendrick never accused him of using steroids.......his words got totally twisted around, but Gonzo went off half cocked crying to the media.

They asked him to platoon and he refused, and went crying to the media again when he was asked to sit for one fucking game.

He played the victim and the martyr throughout, so much of it unjustified. What a bunch of shit.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with some of the sentiment that it is very costly to go to a game (when factoring tickets, driving, food, etc).
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's still an excuse. ANYONE can bring bottled water, box juice drinks, etc, as many peanuts, pistachios, sandwiches, popcorn as they like into the park. Last Sunday my wife made roast beef sandwiches. I took my dad the Vegetarian to the game earlier in the year, and he took a baggy of Carrot and Celery sticks, and another baggy with some nuts and berry's too.

There is parking in back of the stadium for 5 & 7 dollars.

Sorry, I will never buy the excuse that the concessions are too expensive. Nobody is obligated to buy anything from them. It is there as a convenience.

If the reason someone doesn't go to games is because they can't afford to go there and eat, then they are not there for the baseball in the first place.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
But it's still an excuse. ANYONE can bring bottled water, box juice drinks, etc, as many peanuts, pistachios, sandwiches, popcorn as they like into the park. Last Sunday my wife made roast beef sandwiches. I took my dad the Vegetarian to the game earlier in the year, and he took a baggy of Carrot and Celery sticks, and another baggy with some nuts and berry's too.

There is parking in back of the stadium for 5 & 7 dollars.

Sorry, I will never buy the excuse that the concessions are too expensive. Nobody is obligated to buy anything from them. It is there as a convenience.

If the reason someone doesn't go to games is because they can't afford to go there and eat, then they are not there for the baseball in the first place.

Sure - it is an excuse - but a reason why people stay home, and watch on TV. YEs, a family of 4 can bring food with them, but how many times are you going to be able to sell this activity as something fun to do with the kids if you dont buy anything at the park.

Bare mimimum - a family of 4 is going to spend 5 on parking, and 20 on tickets, and driving time to get there. If they have a picnic before hand - they dont go hungry, but go the entire game without buying a thing. Maybe spend about 10 on waters and peanuts to bring in. That is the minimum. Some people cant rationalize even that $35 as a worthwhile cost to go to a game. I understand that is an excuse not to come, but when i have a choice between free, and 35 to sit in the corner of the upper deck - that choice isnt that easy - even for me. Is it about the baseball, sure, i guess - but i cant expect that when my kids are 9-11, they will be quoting ops from BR. same goes for the wife.

To me, the 3.75 Water is an example. It isnt that 3.75 will break the bank - it just ticks me off.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure what you mean by "excuse". Isnt "people are lazy" a barrier to any sporting event or selling just about anything? You have to have a product to overcome that.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to have a product to overcome that.

I guess a first place team of homegrown players isn't enough.

Nobody said baseball was free. On a micro basis there are a lot of people who spending 30-40-50 bucks to go see a game is a hardship or a luxury. But on a macro basis, there are plenty of people living in this Valley that can afford to go to games.

It's cheaper to go to a game in AZ then any other NL West City. And the per capita income of Maricopa county does not lag behind the rest of the country like the rest of the state does.

Yet attendance in Colorado is over 28K per game, San Diego 34K, San Francisco 42K, and LA 47K
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I guess a first place team of homegrown players isn't enough.

Im not saying anything new here - but i dont think we have seen the attendance to reflect standings yet - (Lag time between performance and attendance).

Quote:
And the per capita income of Maricopa county does not lag behind the rest of the country like the rest of the state does.

I agree that there are plenty of people in the valley who can afford to go, and dont have to worry about the cost of a game. But those people have DECIDED not to come to games in spite of the 1st place team (although they might show up soon as i mentioned above). What i dont like to see is that there is a barrier for some who want to go - but cant because of the cost. It just depends on how big of a problem this low attendance problem is.

Again, you are right - baseball isnt free. But to me, having some low cost items on the menu - Water, Popcorn, and some sort of low cost memorabilia might go a long way. I know they are doing some promotions now that are doing 4 meals, tickets, etc in a package... thats a good thing IMO.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids eat free on Wednesdays by the way. When you enter the park they hand the kid a ticket, he gets a dog, a soda, and a popcorn. They've been doing that all year.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone said "drive in the heat from Gilbert"

HELLO ASSHOLE YOU LIVE IN ARIZONA...........DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE HEAT.....I DONT HEAR ESKIMOS COMPLAINING OF THE COLD.....A/C ON IN THE CAR???

are these people they asked even dbacks fans? or even baseball fans??

waste of print......

Man i wish i lived closer to the CHASE
Oct: 3-4
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Kids eat free on Wednesdays by the way. When you enter the park they hand the kid a ticket, he gets a dog, a soda, and a popcorn. They've been doing that all year.

Yep - thats great. I wonder what kind of bump - if any, they recieved from that.

I just think there are 2 forces working somewhat against each other. The price point for maximizing profit, and the price point for maximizing attendance, are 2 totally different things.

Maybe they are happy with the pricing they have in place, i have no idea.

Two totally different opinions (one more right than the other Wink ), no name calling. Imagine that.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not go to Diamondbacks games because we think the price for tickets, parking and food are too expensive. I think baseball players are paid too much money. Just because the Diamondbacks are winning games does not obligate Arizonans to support them financially.

- Agnes Wasem, Sun City West

Agnes,
Let me ask you a follow up question.....
if they can play in your front yard would you still have the blinds closed in your living room

serious why ask this guy about going to the game???

Last edited by NJ-DBACKS-FAN on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
someone said "drive in the heat from Gilbert"

HELLO ASSHOLE YOU LIVE IN ARIZONA...........DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE HEAT.....I DONT HEAR ESKIMOS COMPLAINING OF THE COLD.....A/C ON IN THE CAR???

are these people they asked even dbacks fans? or even baseball fans??

waste of print......

Man i wish i lived closer to the CHASE

Yeah, those people are unreachable... they arent coming, regardless.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually attend between five to 10 games a year. The reason why I don't attend more games is that I think Chase Field is too corporate. Turn down the music, promos between innings, and instead focus on the baseball game.

- David Thomforde, Phoenix

David,

Well did you stop to think for a minute that if these "corporate" stuff helps reduce the cost of other things for the fan, IE soda, hotdog, popcorn....

cause god know in your next breath you will bitch about the cost of everything anyway...imagine if this "corporate" shit did not lower some cost
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Agnes,
Let me ask you a follow up question.....
if they can play in your front yard would you still have the blinds closed in your living room

serious why ask this guy about going to the game???

I think his real problem is that he has a girls name.

Wink Laughing
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diamondbacks dumped Jerry Colangelo. They traded away the faces of the franchise in Schilling and Johnson then parted ways with Gonzo to get "younger." On top of it all, they decided to change team colors. This went from a legitimate championship team to what is essentially an expansion team, complete with new faces and new colors. Why would management expect them to draw better than the Nationals, D-Rays and Marlins?

- Justin Blackburn, Goodyear

Justin,

They just signed the "new face" and they brought RJ51 back....maybe if you paid attention to the team you would know that....and also know that they are not and "expansion team" cause they are in first place.....

BTW how good did gonzo do ON the field the last few years....and at the time curt and randy WANTED to leave.....

im glad you dont go to games, cause if you did, cause of the color change you would not know what team to root for you knuckle head
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons I don't go to the game are:

1. It usually costs $150, or more, per game for seats and food (four people in my family). understandable....

2. Parking is $10 - $20. get over it all teams make you pay for parking...wanna see my parking for redskins games????

3. We have two young boys that should be in bed by 9 p.m. glad to hear you are a responsible parent

4. Luis is not on the team anymore (petty maybe, but it is a point of contention). very petty, cause he sucked his last 2 years here and stunted CQ7 growth

5. I didn't like the way the Jerry Colangelo "retirement" was handled. HUH??

6. I can be lazy on the couch and stretch out during the game. excerice is good once in a while increases heart rate

7. I can see the game better from TV (I'm 44, 'nuff said). better view agreed
8. I enjoy instant replay. as do i (TIVO??)

9. I enjoy the dialogue/perspective of the announcers. really? gracie and don begging for you to get off your ass to come to the game???

10. I miss the old uniforms (a general complaint only). as do i, I have a purple jersey....but i still love the team

11. 25-mile drive to the field (gas money).Agree

Whenever a controversial trade is made I hear "baseball is a business." My wife and I make family "business" decisions and baseball games at Chase Field don't pass the "Cost Benefits Analysis" (CBA). That being said, I really enjoy watching the guys play ball. I think the team has a great future (go Tony Clark). I'll watch until the CBA shows a net profit, then I'll start attending games.

- Andy Schuldt, Peoria

Andy,

my reponses are above

future with tony clark???? andy...he is as old as you are!!!! there is no future with him

Last edited by NJ-DBACKS-FAN on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is simple:

The Dbacks should start their own network, charge something like 3 dollars a month for people to have it added to their cable, and move on.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a season ticket holder from day one until 2004. I'm rarely attending now because stadium is hot and dirty, seats are broken and things are not functioning in restrooms. Many employees need customer-relation training, the new owners are not fan-friendly.

I prefer going where my game experience is fun. So I watch baseball in San Diego where they do things right.

- Andi Chronister, Phoenix

Andi have fun rooting for the pods as they are looking up at the team in your backyard in first place.....

hey atleast you go to petco, where the owners do it right trading the one of the best middle relievers while you are in a playoff race....but hey you get a nice guy that works for the team to wipe your ass in the rest room though huh?
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

This sampling of fans is stomach turning pathetic. Baseball is far more affordable in Phoenix than virtually anywhere else in MLB.

Hell... just take the kids on Wednesday for the free food, park for free 4 blocks away, get decent seats in the upper deck... and buy some bottled water beforehand at Circle K/Seven-11 (or for a buck a bottle from the guys outside Chase)... and you've got an evening's worth of entertainment for less than you'd pay at the movies.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
I was a season ticket holder from day one until 2004. I'm rarely attending now because stadium is hot and dirty, seats are broken and things are not functioning in restrooms. Many employees need customer-relation training, the new owners are not fan-friendly.

I prefer going where my game experience is fun. So I watch baseball in San Diego where they do things right.

- Andi Chronister, Phoenix

Andi have fun rooting for the pods as they are looking up at the team in your backyard in first place.....

hey atleast you go to petco, where the owners do it right trading the one of the best middle relievers while you are in a playoff race....but hey you get a nice guy that works for the team to wipe your ass in the rest room though huh?

None of that shit that he said was true. I've been going to that stadium for 9 years and have never seen a broken toilet or a broken seat. That's pure bullshit. The money stuff is also bullshit.

I can go to a game and spend five bucks total. Just stop stuffing your face with cotton candy and hot dogs, maybe your weight watchers program will go a little bit quicker.
ncdbackfan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was in a position to go to more games, but distance (2,000 miles) and cost (min $300 plane ticket) are legitimate reasons why I cannot. I will, however, be making my first trip to Chase next year (but if the Dbacks make this years WS I'll move that up to October).

It is funny (and sad) to read some of these excuses. Bottomline is if you don't have $100 to spend on concession/beer/souvenirs then don't spend the money. Pretty simple economics. What a bunch of f*cking idiots.
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fun to see all of these excuses go away next year once the team is considered a Proven Winner™ again. If they make the playoffs this year they'll sell more season tickets next year, which will increase their visibility and create the illusion that it's once again okay to go to the ball game, which will increase walk up sales. Winning is the only thing that increases attendance, and as others have said already, all of these responses are just excuses.
charlie
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an on-call 24/7 caregiver these days, I cannot get to the ballpark anymore, much to my regret. Until last season I managed to see 6 or 8 games a year. The thing which turned me off the most at the ballpark was the extremely loud noise/?music? over the loudspeaker system, especially the last couple of years. It really made it an ordeal to sit there throughout the entire game and wind up getting a severe headache. One unbeatable benefit of attending a game in person was avoiding the blabbermouths in the broadcast booth! Hard to put a price on that! Otherwise, I never had a bad experience.

Prices are what they are; after all, how much does one spend to go out for the evening and have dinner, a few drinks, and just see a movie? Such an evening isn't free or cheap by any means.

I'm sure there are lots of fans who cannot really afford to take the entire family to a ballgame more than once or twice a season but the valley is FULL of retired people who probably are more likely to actually be lifelong baseball fans than the average 20-30 year old, and who probably have little financial worry about attending a couple dozen games per year. Still, not enough of them go to the ballpark.

Some of the reasons given by the "fans" are understandable ones. Nobody likes to park several blocks from the park and walk that distance in 100 degree heat, especially when any degree of physical infirmity is involved. And, the wide availability of other entertainment venues in the Phoenix area complicates the financial picture for those of more limited income since the money available needs to be budgeted around far more if there are fans of different sports in the family to be considered.

But, it really is disappointing to see so many empty seats at the ballpark especially when the team is winning, is young, plays good ball and is homegrown at that. I don't know what the marketing solution is other than, as in other sports here, winning eventually draws more people to the ballpark.
David B
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who pays to park in downtown Phoenix? I've probably gone to about 20 games at BOB/Chase and I've never once had to plug a meter. Phoenix easily has the most motorist friendly parking arrangement of any major city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: