Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Quentin down, Salazar up
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Quentin down, Salazar up Reply with quote

As reported by geof in the one of the Upton threads, Q has been optioned to AAA, and Jeff Salazar called up.

I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Link
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salazar's 2007 numbers

Salazar's Cube Page

Salazar's Baseball Ref. Page
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet salazar is a home town boy for me!!! okc baby!!!! but my buddy in tucson said he was impressive this year, we claimed him from the rockies!!! maybe he'll be a little shot in the arm!!!
geeeeeeoff
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quentin down, Salazar up Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
As reported by geof in the one of the Upton threads, Q has been optioned to AAA, and Jeff Salazar called up.

Link

btw shoe it's actually geoff and thanks for your links and directing me to those other threads yesterday lots of good stuff on this board!!!
levski
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salazar is a natural 4th OF guy, as he can play all three positions. He's also left handed and allows Melvin to insert a LH bat in the OF. Not sure though if he will play full time in RF, or if Hairston will get one final long look in LF before a) the team calls up Upton or b) the team trades for an outfielder.

I don't think the Dbacks are seriously looking at Dye, but if his price is low and Hairston/Salazar don't hit much over the next two weeks, I won't be shocked if the Dbacks do roll the Dye at the end of the month...
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quentin down, Salazar up Reply with quote

geeeeeeoff wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Link

btw shoe it's actually geoff and thanks for your links and directing me to those other threads yesterday lots of good stuff on this board!!!

Geoff it is! Glad you found those threads and some good stuff.

HERE is a thread with some more Salazar info and scouting reports.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q better get the message, and not be a little bitch about the demotion. But there isn't a better way to light a fire under some players than showing them the bigs, and then taking it away from them.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Salazar is a natural 4th OF guy, as he can play all three positions. He's also left handed and allows Melvin to insert a LH bat in the OF. Not sure though if he will play full time in RF, or if Hairston will get one final long look in LF before a) the team calls up Upton or b) the team trades for an outfielder.

I don't think the Dbacks are seriously looking at Dye, but if his price is low and Hairston/Salazar don't hit much over the next two weeks, I won't be shocked if the Dbacks do roll the Dye at the end of the month...

I don't thing they mess with Dye....not much point to it.

I think if Salazar hits, he stays around a while and gets some PT. If he doesn't hit, and Davanon's shoulder allows him to actually make throws, we could see him brought back by the end of July.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Q better get the message, and not be a little bitch about the demotion.
As many times as Q has publicly admitted that he has "sucked" this year.... don't expect him to be a "little bitch"
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Q better get the message, and not be a little bitch about the demotion. But there isn't a better way to light a fire under some players than showing them the bigs, and then taking it away from them.

Q's problem is not lack of fire, or effort, or determination, or hustle, or guts, or intangibles, or attitude.

Having just got done watching the 6th episode of "The Show" on the Mojo channel, this is especially heart wrenching.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
dirtygary wrote:
Q better get the message, and not be a little bitch about the demotion.
As many times as Q has publicly admitted that he has "sucked" this year.... don't expect him to be a "little bitch"

Or butt-hurt, too.
dirtygary
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

Q's problem is not lack of fire, or effort, or determination, or hustle, or guts, or intangibles, or attitude.

Having just got done watching the 6th episode of "The Show" on the Mojo channel, this is especially heart wrenching.

So maybe this is counter-productive? Stands to reason that a demotion might make him press even more. Besides, wasn't this supposed to be the year we got everybody experience so we're a better team in '08?
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the wake up call from the organization to all of the struggling young hitters that its time to get going on developing their ability as hitters. Not that I mean to infer that Carlos has been a slacker or anyone else for that matter, but no organization can afford to endure the lack of production from an offensive standpoint that this club has for just over half a season.

On Quentin, I feel for the guy. He's had a bad year in just 3 months. Watching a segment on The Show the other night, its apparent that Carlos is his own worst critic. To have a chance to get away from the majors for awhile is a good thing for him. Time to reflect on what went wrong and then get back to work.

He needs to work on 3 things there.

Pitch recognition.
Hitting the outside pitch to right.
Turning off his own noisemaker.

If he can learn to quiet his bat while in the box, I think that can help him too.

Good luck Carlos. Hope you can get it straightened out and to see you back up here.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!

Last edited by Gorfo57 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should of sent Cy down, JB's prince whose overrated in cf, and at the plate.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

So maybe this is counter-productive? Stands to reason that a demotion might make him press even more. Besides, wasn't this supposed to be the year we got everybody experience so we're a better team in '08?

I wrote the following on May 13th in THIS Thread

Quote:

The reason that I don't want to see Quentin sent down is because I really don't think he can fix his problem in AAA.

His problem is he cannot recognize major league breaking pitches down and away. When he was in the minors, he didn't see that quality of breaking pitch very often.

Check out his HBP totals compared to his minor league record. Nobody bothers pitching him inside because he can't layoff of the down and away.

I think with less frequent at bats, it may actually have the effect of causing him to VALUE his at bats more, and therefore force him to try to layoff some of that junk. If he goes back to AAA, he is just going to get re enforced in his current approach, because he is likely to have success there.

It should be pointed out that I want Hairston every day over Q right now because I think it gives the team a better chance to win. But I think it will also serve to make Q a better hitter, in the long run...by forcing him to change his approach this way.

I don't think they ever really gave this approach a long enough test.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move. He isn't going to learn anything with the way PT is currently being distributed on the D-backs. Best to get him away from Seitzer, too. I hope the team is going to work with him down in AAA and not just hope he figures it all out by popping off a few homers against minor league pitching.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:
I like this move. He isn't going to learn anything with the way PT is currently being distributed on the D-backs. Best to get him away from Seitzer, too. I hope the team is going to work with him down in AAA and not just hope he figures it all out by popping off a few homers against minor league pitching.

Yeah, you are probably right. I think they should have tried my approach in Mid May, and given it a month, but they didn't take that approach. It's too late now.

Joel Youngblood is the hitting coach down in Tucson. Somebody to keep an eye on, in case Seitzer eve does get the axe.
moviegeekjn
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Nope... but now BoMel is at least more likely to give Scotty more PT since he becomes the "veteran" over Salazar.
shoewizard
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Nope... but now BoMel is at least more likely to give Scotty more PT since he becomes the "veteran" over Salazar.

ROFL!!

Salazar may play quite a bit, being a lefty and all.
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the less frequent at bats theory actually went the other way. For awhile it looked like he was learning to lay off the in the dirt shit and drawing some walks, during a brief stretch. He looked to be back to chasing shit again.

I think he needs to shut off his own noisemaker. His own color commentator inside his head must be going full bore 24/7. Some pointed out his bat movement waiting for pitches seemed to be increasing, which is a sign that his mind is working him overtime. That color commentator, his own self criticism is wound up out of control when he's in the box and the increasingly faster bat wiggling is a direct result of this. His mind must be beating himself to death at over 100 mph.

Learning to turn off your color commentator is something that athletes at the highest levels all learn to do. It might be the most important thing for him to work on. Carlos, your own self analysis is only allowed after the game, not during or before. This is a rule he needs to learn.

I think he's letting his mind think too much during games, especially during at bats.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Robert S. wrote:

Yeah, you are probably right. I think they should have tried my approach in Mid May, and given it a month, but they didn't take that approach. It's too late now.

Joel Youngblood is the hitting coach down in Tucson. Somebody to keep an eye on, in case Seitzer eve does get the axe.

I agree that adjustments should've been made before, too. From what I can see (take it with a grain o' salt), he hasn't really made mechanical adustments at the plate. My concern is that they aren't aggressive enough in coaching him. How much could it possibly cost to hire a couple of ex-pitchers to come toss some sliders his way every day? I'd much rather see him do that than spend his time in BP betting teammates who can hit the ball the farthest.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... just wow...

Good move.
qudjy1
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he goes down there and rakes after about a week away from seitzer - oh, boy...
Dangerfield
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorfo57 wrote:
I think the less frequent at bats theory actually went the other way. For awhile it looked like he was learning to lay off the in the dirt shit and drawing some walks, during a brief stretch. He looked to be back to chasing shit again.

I think he needs to shut off his own noisemaker. His own color commentator inside his head must be going full bore 24/7. Some pointed out his bat movement waiting for pitches seemed to be increasing, which is a sign that his mind is working him overtime. That color commentator, his own self criticism is wound up out of control when he's in the box and the increasingly faster bat wiggling is a direct result of this. His mind must be beating himself to death at over 100 mph.

Learning to turn off your color commentator is something that athletes at the highest levels all learn to do. It might be the most important thing for him to work on. Carlos, your own self analysis is only allowed after the game, not during or before. This is a rule he needs to learn.

I think he's letting his mind think too much during games, especially during at bats.

He needs none of that, he'd needed a manager who could put up in a place to succeed. The denial that's going on, the field manager is the team's weakest link. Go back to the last two games, and second guess, and do that over 2 1/2 the seasons. He's single handley mismanged Cj, Cq and CT.

last night what he did in the 8th was as good as it gets for this guy. LaRussa made him look silly.
Gorfo57
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos Quentin is a perfectionist. He looks at the empty part of the glass for ways to improve. I'm telling you right now, with this kid its mental more than physical.

Its a good time for him to work on some areas of hitting to improve himself as a hitter. To limit his focus on the task at hand and put the self analysis crap on the shelf.

Instead of allowing this kid to continue to fill his own head up with everything he's doing wrong, he needs to leave the evaluation of his performance to his AAA hitting coach and walk out of the cage with one thought: I made some good swings in there today.

He can't be allowed to tell himself anything more than that, until after the practice or game ends. And then he needs to learn to develop that part of his mind that reduces the amount of self analysis to a level where it becomes benefical and not self defeating.

Quentin's "I suck" comment tells the whole picture.

He's only seeing the negative right now. He needs to catch glimpses of the rest of the picture and occupy his mind with hitting drills, and practice.

His hitting will begin to improve only after he changes the picture he has of himself in his own mind.

Upton everyday.
Go D-Backs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: