Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rumor - Team changing colors?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Rumor - Team changing colors? Reply with quote

Link

This rumor is going around... this isnt the first time i have seen it either. I dont think i believe it, but was wondering if anyone else has heard this...

Last edited by qudjy1 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Polar Bear Fan
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really buy the "no new merchandise" since April part of the story because they are selling Carlos Quentin jersey-shirts in the main team shop.
Ryan
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fine with this rumor -- real or not -- until I got to the part about the "A" logo being ditched in favor of a variation of the "D" logo.

I HATE that "D" logo. It looks like something out of a Disney cartoon to me. I think the "A" logo is very classy and have been wishing they'd do an all-black road cap with the "A" logo for the last couple of years now.

Guess I'll have to hope this rumor's fake.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
I was fine with this rumor -- real or not -- until I got to the part about the "A" logo being ditched in favor of a variation of the "D" logo.

I HATE that "D" logo. It looks like something out of a Disney cartoon to me. I think the "A" logo is very classy and have been wishing they'd do an all-black road cap with the "A" logo for the last couple of years now.

Guess I'll have to hope this rumor's fake.

Ah... we've discussed this in person, Ryan. I like the D better. Plus, I think the article said "more realistic", so you might like it better?

Thank you God for the new colors. The red and black sounds awesome.

I don't understand why every team but Arizona has an SF, CR, LA, SD and the Dbacks don't have an AZ, interlinked like all the others. If that was the case, I could give in a little to Ryan's viewpoint.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally. i remember talking to someone once about some free agents, and he said a certain free agent would look awfully nice in the purple and teal.

after a second of awkward silence, he clarified, "well, as good as anyone can look in that crap."
DesertKnight
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is true. I've wanted to ditch the purple for years, but I'm not sure about the red. I just wanted a subtle change from the purple to more of a medium blue. I'll be glad to get rid of the "A" logo--never really liked it. I like the "D," but my favorite was the combination A/D with the A in the same copper-and-green color the D uses. I also like the snake's head with baseball in the mouth.

If this is true, then they would have had to notify MLB a while back. Teams wanting to change uniforms have to notify MLB of the possible change by March 31 and submit details by May 31. I'm kind of surprised this hasn't leaked out sooner.

The Devil Rays are planning some changes as well. Interesting that both the DBacks and DRays--teams that were born at the same time--are overhauling unis at the same time.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/15/Rays/Name_could_be_big_cha.shtml
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for the love of god let it be true. Anything other than purple and turqoise. I don't dislike the A, it coud be better, though, but I really hate the "D" logo. So Disney cartoonish. The road hat should have the snake with the baseball in its mouth, like their spring training hats.

Also, the D-Rays have changed their uniforms quite a bit, and finally settled on something that I think is respectable, with the olive instead of glow-in-the-dark colors.

And color scheme: of course they have black in it.

Why not palo verde green and yellow/orange?

Personally, I'd like to be in charge of redesigning the Diamondback uniforms. I'll make you all proud.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about one hat. An "A" with the fangs coming down both sides of it, kind of like how the A's on our road unis have the one side that hangs down like a fang.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really care about the specifics, as long as purple is no longer a part of it..
Hank
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Teams that change their colors all the time always seem to be the lousy franchises. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Reds--these teams have looked pretty much the same for 100 years.

There is something to be said for that. Plus, purple has been sort of the color of the Phoenix pro sports team (yes, I know the Cards are red, and the Coyotes were green and now red, but they are not original teams). Plus, I don't hate purple like some of you seem to.

The suggestion of migrating the color to a little bit more blue seems like the best alternative if they want to change. Dumping the teal would not bother me, and it is only a trim color anyway.
Catharsis
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! 10 years old and we'll already have our own set of vintage jerseys! A New York Yankees Babe Ruth, a Milwaukee Braves Hank Aaron, and an Arizona Diamondbacks Brian Anderson...can't wait!
Sam/DMD
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a business trip (to Hong Kong), it's amazing to find so many things changed. Some Chinese guy in Hong Kong is the proud owner of my BlackBerry. A huge tree in front of my house got toppled over the day after I left for the trip. My HOA had already sent me two notices to remove the dead tree. The Snakes are now down in the cellar with no hope of crawling out. Now this rumor their uniforms may change to red, white and black with a new D logo. I sure hope this is only a stupid rumor because if they do make those changes, we might as well erase all memories associated with their old uniforms. Without those memories, this team is nothing.

Oh, another major annoying change that has taken place during my absence, the goddamn Yanks are now 8 games ahead in AL East and Boston is most likely done.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the purple was meant to be evocative of the sunsets here in the desert. I never understood the teal...

Here's a description of the appearance of the western diamondback rattlesnake:

Quote:
The Western diamondback rattlesnake is the largest western rattlesnake. It has a plump body (Russ Ortiz!), a short tail, and a broad, triangular head that is very distinct from the body. It can be yellowish gray, pale blue, or pinkish and has dark diamond shape marks down its back.

As such, the rumored new color scheme draws on a different source...

OK, the red for the "red rocks" of Sedona?

If it were up to me, I'd prob'ly stay with the current color scheme, if only because it's the color scheme we've always had, and the colors we wore when we won the WS... but I won't stop rooting for the team or going to games if the colors are changed...
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, Sam... cheer up! Very Happy
DesertKnight
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Jeez, Sam... cheer up! Very Happy

Yeah--go read the "Beer" forum in the Anything Goes section. Thinking about beer usually cheers me up!
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you a boston fan too, dmd? this season has just been fucking depressing to watch. remember the glory days of spring training, where the team had like 9 starting pitchers?

oh, how i miss that.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can a snake have a plump body? or a short tail? aren't they all tail?
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
how can a snake have a plump body? or a short tail? aren't they all tail?

Actually, the tail begins after the "anal plate". Two words that should never go together, IMHO.

shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
aren't they all tail?

No...thats Brazilian Girls.
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Brazilian volleyball team...

dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2-hole??

ok.
Ryan
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Ah... we've discussed this in person, Ryan. I like the D better. Plus, I think the article said "more realistic", so you might like it better?

Indeed, BOND, I'd be receptive to a different, more "realistic" take on the Snake D. I guess it's just that I like the A logo. It just seems classy to me, unlike, say, anything our fellow 1998 MLB inductees the Devil Rays have ever worn.

If you look back on it, we've really settled down, uni wise, after a bumpy start. Remember '98 when we had those white unis with the ice-cream man white hats and the awful "DIAMOND" with "BACKS" underneath it logo? Then there was the purple third jersey, and the original road hat unveiled back in '95 with the A logo on black cap with teal brim? All of those went away quickly and we've pretty much been going with what we have now for all of this decade.

I've even noticed this year that the sleeveless home jerseys with purple undershirts seem to be the only ones we wear. Remember the sleeved versions -- I remember Randy Johnson preferred it when he pitched?

In any case, I'd just as soon stick with what we have for the sake of establishing tradition, as others have noted in the thread. But this rumor does make sense, as next year will be the team's 10th season (teams seem to like to make changes at anniversary times), we've got a totally new ownership group and new front office, and on the field we're giving the ball to the new generation of D-Backs like Drew, Q, etc.

Guess we'll find out for sure before Christmas, right? Aren't these things usually announced early in the off-season when they do happen?
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:

Of course, Mrs. SnakePit wandered into the room just as I scrolled down to that freakin' picture. Shocked I have just spent ten minutes explaining to her exactly how a perfectly innocent thread on the team's uniform degenerated into such sleaze. I'll think of you tonight, B.O.N.D., as I sleep on the couch... Wink
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:

Of course, Mrs. SnakePit wandered into the room just as I scrolled down to that freakin' picture. Shocked I have just spent ten minutes explaining to her exactly how a perfectly innocent thread on the team's uniform degenerated into such sleaze. I'll think of you tonight, B.O.N.D., as I sleep on the couch... Wink

Heh... oops.

I thought it was within the bounds of decency, i.e. PG-13, at least image-wise.

That is the international sign for "piece", right? Laughing
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond - dont listen to jim - that pic was great... hehe...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: