Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
8/27 Los Angeles Dodgers at Arizona Diamondbacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> GameDay Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
I'm listening to the game on KTAR and with the new & improved sound system you can now no longer hear the radio announcers when they're talking over the PA system.

Just got back from today's game. meh

The Q& A with Josh Byrnes was time well-spent, though. tmar, the man in charge of the stadium sound system asked for feedback on the "improvements" and we told him it's TOO LOUD and still garbled.

The more I hear from Josh, the better I feel about this team's future. I did ask him for insight on 2007 and Luis, and his response was diplomatic but clear. Firstly, he expounded on how wildly popular he's learned that Gonzo and Counsell are in this city, how he's pleased with what a great person Luis is, etc. Secondly, he said that we're loaded with young outfield talent that needs to be playing fulltime, and most importantly he's learned that you cannot please both crowds (the sentimental save Luis crowd and the let's move on with the future crowd), that it's critical that he make a clear decision on one side or the other in the off season. Finally, and most importantly, he said that it will be a business decision that is in the best interest of the team present and moving forward.

I was there with shoewizard, moviegeekjn, and stu, and we all took that as clearly articulated good news.

shoewizard tried to nail Josh down on next year's salary budget, but all we got from Josh on the budget was a smile and general direction statement. Josh isn't keen on FA pitchers for the obvious reasons we're all aware of....you overpay for their past performances instead of their future, most are close to or on the wrong side of 30, etc. I'm left with the impression that most of our pitchers will come from trades and/or be homegrown.

There were other good questions and I'm sure the others will offer their perspectives as well.

Josh is familiar with us and the board and thanked us for the good feedback here. I've personally never been more optimistic about this franchise's future, especially in 2007 through 2009.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TAP.

I have a question for you math geeks out there:

What are the chances of the Dbacks getting the 15th pick (or higher) in next year's draft? What record do we need?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D backs rank 18th in Win percentage in the majors right now.

Wouldn't that give them the 13th overall pick?

It's alot easier for me to imagine their draft position improving over the next month than it getting worse.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shoewiz.

I think that whether AZ's first round pick is protected or not would help detemine whether they do gamble on a free agent starting pitcher or not.

Otoh, quite a few starting pitchers may be declined arbitration.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
There were other good questions and I'm sure the others will offer their perspectives as well.

Josh is familiar with us and the board and thanked us for the good feedback here. I've personally never been more optimistic about this franchise's future, especially in 2007 through 2009.

Ditto TAP's sentiments. We ARE in good hands with Josh at the helm--a huge improvement over what we had had operating in the GM position previously. Not that he won't ever make some mistakes (he good naturedly brought up the Dan Uggla situation to point that out)

They are interviewing a variety of people (from both within and without) to take over Rizzo's position, and a key aspect they are looking for is someone who can offer insight into how the Dbacks can get advantages in talent mining (a la Rizzo's willingness to pursue players like Drew and Quentin who had scared other teams off due to agent & injury respectively).

Stu asked about what they were using to judge fielding, and Josh cited the difficulty in gauging this via only statistical analysis (tho he was aware of various attempts). He said that the most value that he saw in those were more in "team defense"... giving the example about how they had noticed that the Dbacks were giving up an inordinate number of doubles and triples.. and that they wanted to address that. (He didn't mention names, but everyone KNOWS the players that were being referred to).
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a moment of silence observed at Chase Field today before the National Anthem was sung. Jon Hooker, a close friend and former college teammate of Brandon Webb, and his new bride were among those killed in this morning's commuter plane crash in Kentucky. Webb, who declined comment on the death, is scheduled to start tomorrow night against San Diego.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh made some comments about free agent pitchers that made it pretty clear that they won't be pursuing the expensive high profile ones. Among comments: none of the top 20 pitchers in MLB had been acquired via free agency.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Josh made some comments about free agent pitchers that made it pretty clear that they won't be pursuing the expensive high profile ones. Among comments: none of the top 20 pitchers in MLB had been acquired via free agency.

Time to jump on board the Padilla Flotilla, kids.

And you gotta reckon Bald Bill Bavasi will do the stupid thing and fail to offer arbitration to Gil Meche. I wouldn't mind having both of them on two year, 6-7m/year deals...
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

Pedro, Rocket, Colon, Mussina, Escobar???

And that's how we landed RJ.

There are some pretty good SPs that landed with their team via free agency.
DesertKnight
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Josh is familiar with us and the board and thanked us for the good feedback here.

Ummm....just checking, but you are sure he wasn't thinking of the AZ Republic board? I'd hate to think that some of the things being said there are being received as "good feedback."

JB: "Oh, the fans just LOVE Gonzo--gotta bring him back....and let's see...rookies suck, huh? Duly noted..."

Wink
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection was that Byrnes said one, not none. If that is true and he is using era as the benchmark, it looks like he is right. Mussina is the only one in the top 20

link
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
My recollection was that Byrnes said one, not none. If that is true and he is using era as the benchmark, it looks like he is right. Mussina is the only one in the top 20

You're right. It was "one" and the context is the current crop.
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:

Ummm....just checking, but you are sure he wasn't thinking of the AZ Republic board? I'd hate to think that some of the things being said there are being received as "good feedback."
It's THIS board. He made reference to recent content.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thats pretty cool...
XB3
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Well that is kinda interesting. I doubt if he spends his day lurking (give us a sign Josh) but it is good to know that he seeks feedback. Maybe he is trying to identify "The Fan." I wonder if any of the players peek here.
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting. How did the subject of the board come up?
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not during the session.... aftermath in private
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm Josh Byrnes....

Dun Dun Dun
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell'd you guys get to talk to JB??? Is there some diamondbacksbullpen.org club that I have to sign up and join to get to have a sit-down with the higher-ups, let alone the freakin GM?
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a publicly announced FAQ session that was advertised (badly) on the Dbacks MLB site. Anyone that signed up could have gone... The club did not go out of its way to promote it heavily.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this belongs in another thread, but if byrnes has indicated that trade will be the most likely source of pitching, who are we looking at? Oswalt? I cant imagine the price on oswalt... FA might be fools gold, but at least you dont give up your prospects for it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> GameDay Threads All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: