Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gonzo: [sarcasm] "There's no Bitterness"[/sarcasm]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Gonzo: [sarcasm] "There's no Bitterness"[/sarcasm] Reply with quote

Gonzo is completely obsessed with coming back and playing against the Diamondbacks and showing his former bosses he can still play. He was just on Extra sports 910 ...I am not going to transcribe the entire interview...not much of interest outside of this part:

Q: About Free Agency.....looks like SFO, Texas, Houston, Detroit allmay be interested...what can you tell us about the process how it works, etc.

A: Well, my first preference is to stay in the NL West so I can play against Arizona...

(in UBER sarcastic tone)
'Don't worry, there's no bitterness"

He also commented that Counsell feels the same. He said the Diamonbacks are a great organization as far as the fans are concerned....but made it clear he does not feel that way about the front office.

Q: What would be his preference, SD or SFO?

A: Sd would be his first choice because of their piching staff, ballpark, fans, and warm weather. SFO has a great park and fans too, but it's cold, and would be difficult filling Bonds shoes.

Q: Would he consider switching leagues

A: Sure, "I would consider any team , even if the AL team as long as they come back to play the D Backs at least once"

Basically all he could talk about was coming back and showing the D Backs "Bosses" who didn't want him any more he can still play....and ended the interview again in uber sarcastic tone saying....

"but there is no bitterness"

PLEASE GOD....LET HIM SIGN WITH THE GIANTS....PLEASE
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the guy wasn't as aggressive on the field, as he is on the talk shows and whining about his treatment, he might still be with the team. The thing this team lacked the last couple of years, was a leader with some sack, like Matt Williams or Jeff Kent. You are your leaders, thank goodness CQ is here.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gonzo: [sarcasm] "There's no Bitterness"[/sarc Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Gonzo is completely obsessed with coming back and playing against the Diamondbacks and showing his former bosses he can still play. He was just on Extra sports 910 ...I am not going to transcribe the entire interview...not much of interest outside of this part:

Q: About Free Agency.....looks like SFO, Texas, Houston, Detroit allmay be interested...what can you tell us about the process how it works, etc.

A: Well, my first preference is to stay in the NL West so I can play against Arizona...

(in UBER sarcastic tone)
'Don't worry, there's no bitterness"

He also commented that Counsell feels the same. He said the Diamonbacks are a great organization as far as the fans are concerned....but made it clear he does not feel that way about the front office.

Q: What would be his preference, SD or SFO?

A: Sd would be his first choice because of their piching staff, ballpark, fans, and warm weather. SFO has a great park and fans too, but it's cold, and would be difficult filling Bonds shoes.

Q: Would he consider switching leagues

A: Sure, "I would consider any team , even if the AL team as long as they come back to play the D Backs at least once"

Basically all he could talk about was coming back and showing the D Backs "Bosses" who didn't want him any more he can still play....and ended the interview again in uber sarcastic tone saying....

"but there is no bitterness"

PLEASE GOD....LET HIM SIGN WITH THE GIANTS....PLEASE

does he not see his own stats? why is he mad at the FO? he should have been on the bench for 1/2 year and they still played him..........he should be grateful.........

or maybe since he is a great doubles hitter he should play left field forever

Like to think im a trend setter
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gonzo: [sarcasm] "There's no Bitterness"[/sarc Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

does he not see his own stats? why is he mad at the FO?

That wouldn't matter. Gonzo doesn't see this objectively. As far as he's concerned, he's a bonafide proven veteran with all the necessary intangibles that it takes to "win." Essentially will remain in a fantasy land.

Please help him sign with the Giants. Would absolutely love to see him begin to see reality set in when our young Dbacks take him to the cleaners with all their fancy OPS's, etc.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he hits only 15 HR in AZ, how many will he hit in SFO or SD, two parks NOTORIOUSLY difficult for left handed "sluggers"

Bonds OPS + 156 Gonzo OPS+ 97

Yeah....I really really hope he replaces Bonds too.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are teams out there that could use him, but the Diamondbacks have better players than he is. If he were in his prime, any team would love to have him. Gonzo, unfortunately, has lost a lot of his skills.
Polar Bear Fan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
If he hits only 15 HR in AZ, how many will he hit in SFO or SD, two parks NOTORIOUSLY difficult for left handed "sluggers"

Bonds OPS + 156 Gonzo OPS+ 97

Yeah....I really really hope he replaces Bonds too.

Gonzo's OPS+ has averaged a decline of about 11 points per season since 2003, so he would post around an 86, which would be a raw seasonal OPS of roughly 715 in PetCo or 732 in AT&T Park. It would certainly benefit the Diamondbacks for Gonzo to remain in the NL West. Unfortunately, it would also benefit the Dodgers, Rockies, and the "winner" of the Gonzo sweepstakes (and by "winner," I mean the team that doesn't have a black hole in left-field).

Maybe the fans of Arizona can convince Gonzo to "take a breather" when he's playing the rest of the NL West, so he can save his "energy" for games against Arizona. We need Gonzo to play all 18 games against Arizona, it's important for the fans. Wink
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gonzo: [sarcasm] "There's no Bitterness"[/sarc Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

does he not see his own stats? why is he mad at the FO?

That wouldn't matter. Gonzo doesn't see this objectively. As far as he's concerned, he's a bonafide proven veteran with all the necessary intangibles that it takes to "win." Essentially will remain in a fantasy land.

"WIN" he needed to produce more runs!! that would help us WIN......

he will go to SD or SF and be lucky to get 10 HR'S.....

TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the radio interview this morning and Gonzo sounded a little hungover in Green Bay. He made a point of twice saying sarcastically, "but there's no bitterness here." He also emphasized how important it was to him that he play in the NL West so he could get his vengance on the Diamondbacks 19 times per year.

Good luck Luis. Let it go. Rolling Eyes
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Heard the radio interview this morning and Gonzo sounded a little hungover in Green Bay. He made a point of twice saying sarcastically, "but there's no bitterness here." He also emphasized how important it was to him that he play in the NL West so he could get his vengance on the Diamondbacks 19 times per year.

Good luck Luis. Let it go. Rolling Eyes

boy i wish i heard it..........anyone have a link to hear it on the net?

kris
September Call-Up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Gonzo is bitter over d-backs.

year 2001 has been magical for D-backs. Gonzo is one of main reason. RJ, Schilling, Gracie, Finley, counsel did their part very well.
We are all very gratefull to gonzo and 2001 team for that. He has been a legend for the past 6 years off the field in Arizona (burden to team for past 3 years on the field).

To Gonzo

1. Please take a look at these stats in year 2006. Does that look like a player earning $10 M, should produce?

G AB R H HR RBI SB AVG
153 586 93 159 15 73 0 .271

Now take a look at another $10 M player stats, who played in NL for one of the weaker teams. He too is LF player.

G AB R H HR RBI SB AVG
159 647 119 179 46 95 41 .277

The 2nd one is the kind of performance we expect from team leader, not just body presence.

By the way the 2nd $10 M player is Alfonso Soriano.

All the talk about wanting to return 19 times to play against D-backs.
My Prediction is we dont need Webb, No.5 Starter is enough to fool Gonzo. Cant wait to see that ....
Bob A
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We heard this same bravado from Gonzo during the last two spring trainings. Unfortunately (or fortunately) he no longer has the walk to back up the talk. Let him sign with some NL West team. He was, and continues to be a great person but I wouldn't mind facing a team that had him in left field all season!
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 G's ( Gonzo, Glaus and Green ), who the Diamondbacks were promoting a couple years ago as some power hitters in the middle of the line up, were unimpressive as clutch hitters. I wouldn't mind seeing Gonzo in clutch situations against the Diamondbacks because he doesn't do well in the clutch anymore. Johnny Estrada is still a good clutch hitter, but we all know he has other issues and wants to be traded anyway. Rolling Eyes
Oden
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Gonzo wasn't our problem anymore, but I guess I was wrong. He's making himself our problem. He might as well get his shots in during the off-season, because he won't have that many with a bat in his hands. Putz.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought Gonzo wasn't our problem anymore, but I guess I was wrong. He's making himself our problem.

Exactly....I debated whether to post this in Team News or MLB, but since he is repeatedly calling out the D backs and talking smack like he is gonna kick Arizona's ass.....this is where it belongs.

And I bet the young players on the D Backs are looking forward to burning his ass when he comes here.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT to see Carlos Quentin GUN his ass down at 2b trying to stretch one of his gap singles into a lame ass double.
YBC-Dog
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons that I thought we should have forced him to waive his NTC mid-season by threatening to leave him on the bench.

If he were to have gone away gracefully after the FO was good enough to let him have his last hurrah here in AZ, that would be one thing, but considering how bitter he still is - and that still wants to "show the FO", it makes me wish they would have been a little less gracious.

At least then he'd have a real reason for wanting to stick it to us.

I will NOT treat Gonzo as kindly if he comes to town in an opposing teams uniform, especially if it's an NL West uniform.

Then again, I started several "Carlos-Quentin" chants out in LF during the 4/5 of the year Gonzo stank up the Chase, so I might not be the best one to say what fellow AZ fans will do. Cool
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

To Gonzo

1. Please take a look at these stats in year 2006. Does that look like a player earning $10 M, should produce?

G AB R H HR RBI SB AVG
153 586 93 159 15 73 0 .271

Now take a look at another $10 M player stats, who played in NL for one of the weaker teams. He too is LF player.

G AB R H HR RBI SB AVG
159 647 119 179 46 95 41 .277

The 2nd one is the kind of performance we expect from team leader, not just body presence.

By the way the 2nd $10 M player is Alfonso Soriano.

I'm shocked you didn't choose to compare Gonzo to $10m men like Shawn Green or Ryan Klesko.

What exactly is the point of comparing Gonzo to Soriano? Just felt like cherry picking random stats until the cows come home?

Gonzo wasn't worth $10m, period. No need to compare him to other $10m. Period.
Me and Frenchy walk a ton.

And Tony Pena cuts in line...
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

To Gonzo

Most everyone already knows that Gonzo was overpaid due to sentimental reasons, "intangibles," and to reward him for producing so well while being underpaid... Pointless to continue grinding into him for his Dbacks contract.
lee mellon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man is delusional. It's a little sad to think about what is going to happen to him next season BUT better anyone else than us!
rb5
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him this morning on the radio. He made a joke about being an "everyday" player by saying that he was going to try out for a co-ed softball team but only if he could be an "everyday player". He also said that it's kind of exciting being a free agent because he hasn't done this in a long time. Who really knows what he's thinking at this point? Reality has probably set in and he's realizing he might not be able to go where he wants to go and do what he wants to do. I guess that would be exciting (in an annoying sort of way). Wink
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From STL Today

Quote:
Whenever the GM and agent talk, (Jocketty & Clifton) another name is expected to come up: Luis Gonzalez

The veteran outfielder, who will turn 40 next September, is also represented by Clifton and apparently caught Cardinals fever while broadcasting playoff games last month. Clifton said nine teams have contacted him about Gonzalez, who finished second in the NL with a career-high 52 doubles this season. Cleveland, Baltimore, Texas, Cincinnati and San Francisco are five of the nine.

The Cardinals are not, for now. Jocketty did attempt to trade for Gonzalez, a lefthanded-hitting left fielder, this past summer and said Thursday he still had interest in Gonzalez.

"I saw him during the playoffs, and he said in St. Louis that he'd never seen fans like that," Clifton said. "I've said all along, for me, I think Luis, well, you talk about a perfect fit for a guy and for a franchise. That's it. Veteran guy. In that atmosphere. He's got a lot left in the tank."
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Quote:
I thought Gonzo wasn't our problem anymore, but I guess I was wrong. He's making himself our problem.

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT to see Carlos Quentin GUN his ass down at 2b trying to stretch one of his gap singles into a lame ass double.

Shoe, Im shocked by the the F-bomb.............. Laughing

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
From STL Today

Quote:
Whenever the GM and agent talk, (Jocketty & Clifton) another name is expected to come up: Luis Gonzalez

The veteran outfielder, who will turn 40 next September, is also represented by Clifton and apparently caught Cardinals fever while broadcasting playoff games last month. Clifton said nine teams have contacted him about Gonzalez, who finished second in the NL with a career-high 52 doubles this season. Cleveland, Baltimore, Texas, Cincinnati and San Francisco are five of the nine.

The Cardinals are not, for now. Jocketty did attempt to trade for Gonzalez, a lefthanded-hitting left fielder, this past summer and said Thursday he still had interest in Gonzalez.

"I saw him during the playoffs, and he said in St. Louis that he'd never seen fans like that," Clifton said. "I've said all along, for me, I think Luis, well, you talk about a perfect fit for a guy and for a franchise. That's it. Veteran guy. In that atmosphere. He's got a lot left in the tank."

what were they willing to give us (dirty socks, case of seeds, ball girl?) and why the hell did we not trade him????

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
From STL Today

Quote:
Veteran guy. In that atmosphere. He's got a lot left in the tank."

if your tank needs meaningless 2 baggers and a wet noodle for an arm in left

McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the argument that his quantity of doubles shows he's got something left. he use to hit HRs. now they're outs at the warning track or flyball doubles. he really doesn't seem to often just lace a double down the line or anything. they're sorta softly hit, and just fall where outfielders aren't.

do teams really think he'll sustain that level of doubles? don't they realize it's part of his decline, and that next season the flyballs won't even be at the warning track anymore, but soft outs to right? the year after, it's going to be pop ups to the 2b man. sheesh...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: