Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Santana to dbacks?? haha
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedrini
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

I just saw a few days ago in a message board, a topic about santana coming to AZ for tracy, young and owings but personally i think it's just a rumor and will never happen. http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/1045911[/url]
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would never happen. Turd wash. But......

(Devil's advocate mode/ON)

Say this trade happened. Another year of Eric Byrnes in CF, maybe two... until Upton is ready. Hairston gets his shot in '07 in LF. We get Santana for the next 5 (or more) years (it'd be a hell of a contract and commitment). Barden/Callaspo at 3b... or somehow make the Ensberg trade happen. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Are you shitting me???!!!

Santana
Webb
Johnson
Hernandez
Davis

(Greatest rotation in baseball)

And a bullpen with the likes of Cruz, Eveland, Medders, Enrique, Julio, Valverde, etc. etc.???

It would be the death knell of Edgar... but... Santana?!?!?

(Devil's advocate mode/OFF)

But it would never, ever, ever happen. Rolling Eyes
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to embellish the impossible but in your scenario we'd likely have to dump Hernandez for budget reasons so Edgar would likely still be in.

I think that IF Santana were to hit the trading block there's not a team in baseball that would come close to what the Yankees would offer in a trade.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through the postings on that link and the real funny thing is that one of them mentions Tracy as being untouchable.

I've heard his name thrown around so much this offseason <everywhere but on our "untouchables" list that is>, that I'm almost surprised he's still with us.

Imagine if we were reacting to a blow Santana trade with "well we were willing to let Young and Owings go but they also wanted Tracy and there's just no way we let him slip by. Not even for Santana".
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

pedrini wrote:
I just saw a few days ago in a message board, a topic about santana coming to AZ for tracy, young and owings but personally i think it's just a rumor and will never happen.

ya think? Laughing
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if this trade happened, AZPhan over on the DB board would finally be happy. We could quite possibly have a 3.60 or less starting rotation ERA. Then what would he have to bitch about?

Though it won't happen, as stated earlier, we would easily have the best rotation in the league. 2 Aces, one former Ace (who could return to form, and at least is a really good number 2 in most rotations), and 2 inning eaters (or one inning eater and one rookie depending on budget concerns).

Of course this would mean (once again, as bond stated earlier) an OF of Hariston Byrnes and Q, which could be more potent THIS YEAR than our current OF (just because of Hariston's more developed power, I expect Young to struggle a bit more than H will...). It also means we would have a no power/little power bat at 3b, but I think playing Hariston might make up the difference in HRs (at least a little bit)

But this won't happen because we no longer have the "Win now, pay later" mentality of the past D-backs... It would be lovely, though.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santana makes 12MM in 07 and 13.25 in 08.

In order to stay under budget we'd have to replace Tracy with a minimum wager, trade Hernandez and likely Julio.
xjwheelr
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projekt wrote:
Maybe if this trade happened, AZPhan over on the DB board would finally be happy. We could quite possibly have a 3.60 or less starting rotation ERA. Then what would he have to bitch about?

Plenty. Trust me.

Did you notice how he has gone from giving the FO accolades for getting Unit back to now almost dismissing it out of hand because "NY and Johnson initiated it." He just can't stand to be happy about anything.
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

pedrini wrote:
I just saw a few days ago in a message board, a topic about santana coming to AZ for tracy, young and owings but personally i think it's just a rumor and will never happen. http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/1045911[/url]

Hmmm funny, I posted that Johan was the best option then I was flamed...
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:
pedrini wrote:

Hmmm funny, I posted that Johan was the best option then I was flamed...

I dont think pedrini was suggesting trading for Santana was the "best option" - esp when he ended the title with a "haha" The idea got pretty well flamed by everyone in this thread as extremly unlikely.

So you think it is a good idea - Who do you think AZ should trade for Santana?
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

along with that question, biggerunit, do you really think az has any shot, any shot at all of trading for santana? because the package mentioned is nowhere near enough. NYY would probably offer hughes, an ace caliber prospect, arguably one of the top 2 or 3 pitching prospects in all of baseball. we don't have that to offer. unless you're willing to give up young, quentin, upton, and drew, maybe?
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it with the Santana situation. If, big IF, the Twins were looking to offload him their best option would be to go after a team like the NYY who are willing to pay anything in prospects to get him <and money to keep him>.

We've got a great farm system except for pitching. Owings and Hughes are light years apart.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality here is that due to Liriano's injury, the Twins are not going to trade Santana except under the most dire and unusual of circumstances.

If Liriano had not gotten hurt, maybe the Twins would consider something.
But how could they now?

I doubt that Young, Tracy and Owings would entice the twins to give up Santana. If they threw in Drew, and maybe one other pitcher, then the Twins would consider.
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I doubt that Young, Tracy and Owings would entice the twins to give up Santana. If they threw in Drew, and maybe one other pitcher, then the Twins would consider.

Holy Crap! that's a lot. Don't you think we could give up less and still pry away Santana?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbacker wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Holy Crap! that's a lot. Don't you think we could give up less and still pry away Santana?

No
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess you're right. Like always
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think the difference would be in what the Twins would get back this offseason vs next if they were to trade Santana?
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to tell tmar, but clearly they would get more trading him now with two years to go at what is a total bargain prices, as opposed to one year.

Johan Santana will be a Yankee. There is no other team that will out bid them.

Keep in mind after 2008 they no longer have....

Giambi, 22 million
Mussina 11.5 million
Pavano 11 million

They have a bunch of expensive guys whose contracts are up after 2007 too, such as Pettite, Abreu, Posada, Rivera.

Of course they need to replace these guys, or resign some of them....(Pettite and Abreu have options)

But clearly the Yankees will have plenty of money and resources, more than they usually have. The Yanks took this offseason to regroup and get their payroll under control. There is nothing to stop them from putting in the highest bid on Santana, and it will be for 25 million a year, unless Santana gets hurt, which is always possible.
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubts it will either be the Yanks or some off the wall team that goes all Texas/ARod.

As D-Back fans we'll just have to rejoice in the fact that we have one of the top 4 or 5 pitchers in baseball for the next 4 years.
David B
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yanks may be the favorites, but I see the Angels and Dodgers as other two teams that have the resources to both acquire Santana and sign him long term. And if the Yankees are in, that means the Red Sox and Mets will be too. Arizona certainly has the prospects to be in, it's just a matter of if they'd want to commit that much in salary to a one pitcher. Throw in a wild card team like the Cubs (with the Tribune Company's money), and you have the makings for a royal bidding war (which again, probably favors the Yanks).
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

along with that question, biggerunit, do you really think az has any shot, any shot at all of trading for santana? because the package mentioned is nowhere near enough. NYY would probably offer hughes, an ace caliber prospect, arguably one of the top 2 or 3 pitching prospects in all of baseball. we don't have that to offer. unless you're willing to give up young, quentin, upton, and drew, maybe?

Hahaha the Yankees have better prospects than we do, so the Twins will answer their phone before ours? Hahah
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Santana to dbacks?? haha Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:
McCray wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Hahaha the Yankees have better prospects than we do, so the Twins will answer their phone before ours? Hahah

Is that a joke or do you not know about Philip Huges? Check his ML numbers:

237 IP, 6 HR, 5.69 H/9, 2.05 BB/9, 10.71 K/9. Oh yeah, he's also only 20.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh...

the yankees have an ACE pitching prospect. we have none. the yankees would part with that ace prospect. IF arizona had one, there is no chance we would part with that kid.

overall, arizona has more talent. but new york has more pitching talent than az does. by far. and while arizona has to hold their prospects to stay financially afloat, the yankees have no such limitations.

was that worded clearer?
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCray wrote:
sigh...

the yankees have an ACE pitching prospect. we have none. the yankees would part with that ace prospect. IF arizona had one, there is no chance we would part with that kid.

overall, arizona has more talent. but new york has more pitching talent than az does. by far. and while arizona has to hold their prospects to stay financially afloat, the yankees have no such limitations.

was that worded clearer?

NY has also added Humberto sanchez, and Ohlendorf... (off the top of my head)

Hughes, Sanchez, and ohlendorf would be a pretty nice haul for MN.
Projekt
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is this: Why don't the Yankees just develop their "Ace" prospect to be their "Ace"?

The obvious answer is "They are they Yankees, duh..." but seriously...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: