Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Declaration of Boycott"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbacker wrote:
The Dodgers were once the Superbas and I believe, the Bridegrooms - a relatively new team figuring out their place in the baseball universe.

Cleveland was once the Spiders.

The Yankees were the Higlanders.

There's more.

Just because we changed "relatively early" in our history doesn't mean it will happen again.

Because there's Dodger Blue, not Bridegroom Blue, we might have tradition soon.

Hmmm well unfortunately, we weren't added to MLB as the Phoenix Phallics or something. We were the Arizona Diamondbacks, and we needed 4 years to win a World Series. Our initial tradition puts that of the Yankees and Dodgers to shame. For some reason, someone felt it necessary to throw it all away...
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW... I've seen FAR more new red Diamondbacks hats here in SF over the last month than I've EVER seen any other Diamondbacks hat. This is both local and tourist traffic.

I also saw this cool kid with a Counsell jersey.

Tradition evolves.
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
FWIW... I've seen FAR more new red Diamondbacks hats here in SF over the last month than I've EVER seen any other Diamondbacks hat. This is both local and tourist traffic.

I also saw this cool kid with a Counsell jersey.

Tradition evolves.

It's just easier to ditch one's individuality and go along with the Combine...
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... what does being one fan out of thousands of a team, wearing the teams merch have to do with individuality? Doesn't that have more to do with unity?
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger Unit asked: "Ever heard of tradition?"

Absolutely. I'm huge on tradition. But you choose what you are going to be traditional about. I'm not traditional about EVERYTHING. Nobody is - or even CAN be, really.

For example, at one extreme, if I had lived in poverty as a child among cockroaches I would not get all misty eyed about missing cockroaches in my bedroom sheets at night as an adult.

And I don't get too upset about uniforms. Now, I might get a little upset if they had been around for at least as many as 10 years and they weren't Freddie Mercury's favorite color. So I'm not inclined to go to bat for these relatively new purple uniforms, any more than I'm going to start a movement demanding that Fry's Grocery Store resume selling "Tang" ("the drink of the astronauts").

But more than anything else, I'm a GUY who values tradition when it relates to something substantial - like the actual BASEBALL.

And I do, by the way, VERY much value what Jerry Colangelo did - he brought baseball to the Valley and did a tremendous amount to increase the market for baseball here. But he also made a few mistakes, unfortunately.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from the batting cages with my son. The guy in the softball cage next to me had a New D Backs hat on. (Black with Red A) I asked him about it, he said he just liked it......and was happy about the change away from Purple, which he never wore.

He said he usually went to half a dozen games a year.
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Counsell"]Bigger Unit asked: "Ever heard of tradition?"

Absolutely. I'm huge on tradition. But you choose what you are going to be traditional about. I'm not traditiona

For example, at one extreme, if I had lived in poverty as a child among cockroaches I would not get all misty eyed about missing cockroaches in my bedroom sheets at night as an adult.

exactly tradition isn't always good
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell wrote:
Bigger Unit asked: "Ever heard of tradition?"

Absolutely. I'm huge on tradition. But you choose what you are going to be traditional about. I'm not traditional about EVERYTHING. Nobody is - or even CAN be, really.

And I don't get too upset about uniforms. Now, I might get a little upset if they had been around for at least as many as 10 years and they weren't Freddie Mercury's favorite color. So I'm not inclined to go to bat for these relatively new purple uniforms, any more than I'm going to start a movement demanding that Fry's Grocery Store resume selling "Tang" ("the drink of the astronauts").

But more than anything else, I'm a GUY who values tradition when it relates to something substantial - like the actual BASEBALL.

And I do, by the way, VERY much value what Jerry Colangelo did - he brought baseball to the Valley and did a tremendous amount to increase the market for baseball here. But he also made a few mistakes, unfortunately.

Oh, so 10 years does the trick, not 9? Want to repeat other Mooron-isms?
moviegeekjn
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:

Oh, so 10 years does the trick, not 9? Want to repeat other Mooron-isms?

This post proves the "other" agenda you have here besides the blatant spamming--and it's certainly NOT "discussion"

Hank, keep picking against my teams, please!!
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guys BS is making me sad...it's like i'm reading the BS on the other board...he just wants to argue for argument's sake...look at what he's arguing about...friggin' uni colors...going on and on...it's spam and should be blocked before we have the same "nucular" wasteland they have at mlb...nothing but arguing over BS cuz it makes someone feel important...
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of us may be posting here as a reaction. If you don't want to discuss this topic (like me) then you can just not post on this thread: discussion lasts only as long as there is interest, and most of us are posting to counter bu1 rather than than discuss the matter, which frankly, most of us don't care about anymore.
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbacker wrote:
I think some of us may be posting here as a reaction. If you don't want to discuss this topic (like me) then you can just not post on this thread: discussion lasts only as long as there is interest, and most of us are posting to counter bu1 rather than than discuss the matter, which frankly, most of us don't care about anymore.

Yeah the easiest way to deal with this is to not acknowledge these topics anymore. I have been suckered into it but lets just get back to the hardcore baseball talk that makes this board good...oh yeah and the random off topic things that make it funny.
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1golfer1 wrote:
this guys BS is making me sad...it's like i'm reading the BS on the other board...he just wants to argue for argument's sake...look at what he's arguing about...friggin' uni colors...going on and on...it's spam and should be blocked before we have the same "nucular" wasteland they have at mlb...nothing but arguing over BS cuz it makes someone feel important...

BS? Care to be specific?
Ryan
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espo wrote:
Yeah the easiest way to deal with this is to not acknowledge these topics anymore. I have been suckered into it but lets just get back to the hardcore baseball talk that makes this board good...oh yeah and the random off topic things that make it funny.

Indeed Espo. We should just adhere to the old practice of "don't feed the trolls." If we simply don't reply to his posts in any thread (i.e. don't pay any attention to him), he'll go away eventually. It's obvious he's not going to contribute to any discussion in any sort of mature, productive way.
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbacker wrote:

i refuse to allow this db to be like the other db... i am calling for removal of the cancer...and preservation of what we have...that can easily be done...
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, so 10 years does the trick, not 9? Want to repeat other Mooron-isms?"

No, actually 10 years probably does NOT do the trick. I was - OBVIOUSLY - being facetious. Duh.

I can't give you an exact number of years as to when a tradition starts, it's just crystal clear that having purple uniforms here is not a "tradition" - to say the least. And other factors go into whether something becomes a tradition or not - besides only the number of years, of course.

But you know that. I'm stating the obvious.

You're just being argumentative for it's own sake.
Dangerfield
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice to see someone have a mission....now that said.....Byrnes could trade QUDJY, for Sexson not the board poster, and come opening day, it would be running with the bulls through the gates. To quote in Jim Mora, alan Iverson response/tone..."Uniform colors? Uniform Colors? You want us to boycott over Uniform colors?"

Wrong board.
AZ SnakePit
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:
I can prove that entire scientific study WRONG with TWO words...

Ready?

Arizona Cardinals.

Actually, thank god the Cards were wearing red: can you imagine how sucky they'd have been over the past years if they'd been wearing some gay color like purple. Wink After all, how many SuperBowls have the Vikings ever won? Er, would that be "none at all", Bob?
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell wrote:
And other factors go into whether something becomes a tradition or not - besides only the number of years, of course.

Oh, you mean like 3 Division Championships, a National League Championship, a World Series Championship, 3 Gold Gloves, and 5 Cy Youngs?

You're right... we need to change that...
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
biggerunit1 wrote:
I can prove that entire scientific study WRONG with TWO words...

Ready?

Arizona Cardinals.

Actually, thank god the Cards were wearing red: can you imagine how sucky they'd have been over the past years if they'd been wearing some gay color like purple. Wink After all, how many SuperBowls have the Vikings ever won? Er, would that be "none at all", Bob?

That's funny. You seem so insulted by purple attacking your sexuality, yet you claim to be a Dbacks fan. Makes me wonder how you survived these 9 years if purple affects you in such a negative way.

But then again... I never heard complaints BEFORE the color change.

"Hop on the Sedona Red bandwagon.."
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you all know that in 1937 the Brooklyn Dodgers wore green uniforms?

The Cinncinati Reds wore all blue as did the Phillies and Indians.

The Braves switched from pimarily red and white to blue and white in the early 70's

The Pirates weren't Yellow until 1947.

The baby blue adoption for St. Louis, Atlanta, Montreal, Milwaukee, Toronto, Philly, KC, Texas, and Seattle in the early 80's.

The White Sox wore green (1934), blue (1964), and red (1971) throughout their history as one of the oldest franchises.

Detroit added oange to their uniforms in 1972.

The NY Giants used to have the same colors as the football team of the same name.

Houston, of course, went from red and white to orange, blue and yellow in 1975.

The funny thing is, this thread got me to go back and see all the beauty and history of the baseball uniform and the tradition MLB has of uniform change.
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
It's obvious he's not going to contribute to any discussion in any sort of mature, productive way.

It usually helps if you read the thread before posting. Clearly you've glossed over the immature lashings by the other posters.
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Did you all know that in 1937 the Brooklyn Dodgers wore green uniforms?

The Cinncinati Reds wore all blue as did the Phillies and Indians.

The Braves switched from pimarily red and white to blue and white in the early 70's

The Pirates weren't Yellow until 1947.

The baby blue adoption for St. Louis, Atlanta, Montreal, Milwaukee, Toronto, Philly, KC, Texas, and Seattle in the early 80's.

The White Sox wore green (1934), blue (1964), and red (1971) throughout their history as one of the oldest franchises.

Detroit added oange to their uniforms in 1972.

The NY Giants used to have the same colors as the football team of the same name.

Houston, of course, went from red and white to orange, blue and yellow in 1975.

The funny thing is, this thread got me to go back and see all the beauty and history of the baseball uniform and the tradition MLB has of uniform change.

Bet ya didn't find any Clown-like team who felt it perfectly normal to change their appearance every 9 years. Imagine... the Cincinnati Reds having 11 completely different uniforms... Oh, the logic is so overwhelming!
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bet ya didn't find any Clown-like team who felt it perfectly normal to change their appearance every 9 years. Imagine... the Cincinnati Reds having 11 completely different uniforms... Oh, the logic is so overwhelming!

"Every 9 years" ???

So you are a seer and prophet now? Can you tell me what the colors will change to in 2016?

Talk about faulty logic.
Dylan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:

A Clown-like team? You mean like this?

With a 9 year history and 1 uniform change, why would you extrapolate that for the lifetime of the organization? Our grandchildren's grandchildren could be watching the red DBacks. Aside from that, we've got around 4 more color changes before we even reach the historic franchise in the South Side of CHI.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: