Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Declaration of Boycott"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: "Declaration of Boycott" Reply with quote

When in the course of Arizona baseball if an ownership arrives that displeases the high majority of the fans, the fans are given the direct right to voice their opinions of the management and to do all in their power to restore the team to its true state of being. A decent respect to the sports writers of America requires that the fans declare the reasons which have caused their unhappiness of their team and why they should be permitted to boycott the excessively changed franchise.

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all Major League Baseball teams are not to be colored red, that a city's/state's Major League Baseball team belongs to the fans, that tradition has no minimum requirements to be considered, and that the fans have the right to protest any destructive decision by the front office. To secure these truths, an ownership must be instituted among the fans, in order to keep out men who desire to be destructive to the given franchise. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that long established traditions should not be changed for transient causes. Any major changes are completely unnecessary unless approved by the majority of the fans.

Unnecessary changes have been made to the Arizona Diamondbacks without any approval of the fans, especially the majority of the fans. The current ownership group led by Ken Kendrick and Jeff Moorad have completely ruined the franchise known as the Arizona Diamondbacks without any approval from the majority of the fans. Many fans have voiced their displeasure, however the front office has not responded not even once to the desires of the fans. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid word.

They implied that long time fan favorite, Luis Gonzalez, had a place in steroid discussion.

They admittedly changed team colors solely to make money.

They changed team uniforms, removing the traditional designs and pinstripes.

They added "D*Backs" to the new jerseys and established the URL dbacks.com, almost resulting in a name change from Diamondbacks to D*Backs.

They removed every traditional logo except the A.

They removed the controversial, yet traditional uniform scheme of using the A logo at home, and the D logo on the road.

They increased the $1 seats to $5 amongst other price raises.

They had no voice from the fans about any of the major changes.

They lost all-time TV voice of the Diamondbacks Thom Brennaman to Cincinnati allegedly because he wanted to spend more time with his family (father).

They lost fan favorite and long time Diamondback MIF/bench coach Jay Bell allegedly because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

They lost all-time team President Rich Dozer allegedly because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

They decreased the family theme at the ballpark by building a luxury bar in deep right field.

They completely went against their youth direction by re-acquiring former Diamondback Randy Johnson.

They completely went against their financial/deferral payment direction by re-acquiring former Diamondback Randy Johnson, signing him for two years, paying him at least $10 mil/year, and also deferring even more of his pay.

They have not upheld ANY tradition or loyalty set by arguably one of the most popular men in Arizona history, former Diamondback owner, Jerry Colangelo.

They have destroyed the Arizona Diamondbacks to the point where fans can't recognize with their team even if they tried.

In the eyes of many Diamondbacks fans, the great baseball team has been destroyed by a group led by two ignorant individuals. Therefore, because of what is right, because of what loyal fans should do for their team, Diamondbacks fans declare a state of boycott. They boycott this fake team, which has taken the place of great Arizona baseball. They boycott the team that in no way, shape or form portrays the majority of the emotions of Diamondbacks fans or the beautiful state the team plays in. Until the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise has been restored to its individual self, by dumping Sedona Red, by dumping Sonoran Sand, by dumping the junk forced onto the fans following the 2006 season, or until the fans are truly given a chance to voice their majority opinion, the fans of the Arizona Diamondbacks hereby call out the current ownership to restore the foundation of this team. If the ownership continues to ignore the fans, then the fans have every right to start an ownership of their own and pursue to earn control of the team they used to root for. Speaking as a whole body of disgruntled and saddened fans of the Diamondbacks, we pledge our magnificent abilities and hopes to restore the Honor and Traditions set by one great man named Jerry Colangelo.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSWINDERS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

He won't get much sympathy over here on this board. I could be wrong but I doubt it.
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSWINDERS wrote:
TAP wrote:

He won't get much sympathy over here on this board. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I don't need sympathy. It's about the team.
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why bother posting this stuff here when you've already been booed over there? this db is for people who know what they're talking about.
xjwheelr
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good grief.

Don't invoke the name of the devil, lest he appear.

My bad.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, go ahead and boycott. Good luck. Jerry Colangelo wants to buy the Cubs. If he buys them, you could be a Cub fan. You might enjoy that. Twisted Evil
TSWINDERS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:
TAP wrote:

See now that is what I can't understand is you say it is about the team but yet you are boycotting the team
biggerunit1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSWINDERS wrote:
biggerunit1 wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:
TAP wrote:

See now that is what I can't understand is you say it is about the team but yet you are boycotting the team

Very simple. I boycott the "Arizona D*Backs," the fake team, the imposter, the team that the FO is feeding the fans and most of you are eating it for some reason. I however, support the "Arizona Diamondbacks," the true AZ baseball team; purple, fan-friendly, great owner, no bullsh.it.
TSWINDERS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:
biggerunit1 wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:
TAP wrote:

Very simple. I boycott the "Arizona D*Backs," the fake team, the imposter, the team that the FO is feeding the fans and most of you are eating it for some reason. I however, support the "Arizona Diamondbacks," the true AZ baseball team; purple, fan-friendly, great owner, no bullsh.it.

So do you support the players on the Diamondbacks. Because there are ways to support the players yet be against the front office.
1golfer1
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSWINDERS wrote:
biggerunit1 wrote:
TSWINDERS wrote:
TAP wrote:

great. a doof from the other board trying to make phan-like points.
XB3
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggerunit1 wrote:
... and most of you are eating it ...

It tastes just like chicken.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
Oh good grief.

Don't invoke the name of the devil, lest he appear.

My bad.

At least you recognize this is your fault... lol...
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggerunit1: I have one question for you. What was the highest level of baseball you ever played (NOT including, if applicable, senior baseball, or slow pitch softball) ?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counsell wrote:
Biggerunit1: I have one question for you. What was the highest level of baseball you ever played (NOT including, if applicable, senior baseball, or slow pitch softball) ?

MLB 2K7
misterx
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good boycott we don't need you here
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if b-unit is collecting signatures? I'd like to see how many agree with him?
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Diamondbacks fan, and yet you speak on my behalf in your little rant. Please don't include me, or any other opposed to your statements. I do not boycott this team, and I feel that these changes were for the bettter, not to "destroy" a franchise. Because I know that when I spend my millions of dollars, I definetly want to intentionally destroy my investment because I have a hidden agenda. You are way off here, and you speak for the very small majority. I do respect that you are able to make full sentences though, because that is more than some can do.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't speak for me, either, BU1. i think the new FO is doing a great job, i like the new colors and the seats are still cheaper than most other teams in baseball.

personally, i think you're just afraid of change. you're terrified of it. they moved to a more popular set of colors, and got younger better players that you don't know as much about, and that upsets you. you'd rather have the same park, the same price, the same staff, the same players (even if they're declining).

and i also believe you're not very baseball savvy. most who are understand why the moves the new FO made were necessary, and why the future is so bright. it's okay to not know these things, but you should really try to learn. study obp, study the value of a marginal win, and try to see why this is the beginning of a GREAT era for the dbacks.

oh, and about gonzo: many, many, many people implied he had a place in the discussion. the rumors were already there, way before kendrick. and then kendrick said he didn't believe that gonzo ever used, he said it emphatically, but he did acknowledge there were whispers about him -- which is 100% true.

other random problems with your post:

They added "D*Backs" to the new jerseys and established the URL dbacks.com, almost resulting in a name change from Diamondbacks to D*Backs.

you're mad about an "almost"? even if you're going to be mad about an almost, you're mad about the wrong one. the new FO "almost" changed the team name. the old FO "almost" drove the team to bankruptcy. which is worse?

<random conspiracy theories about why thom left>

and can we stop with the random ass conspiracy theories about thom and dozier? why do you need to editorialize "allegedly" into your posts? many people on this board have met with members of thom's staff. the reasons he gave are real. az has always in the past refused other teams the right to talk to thom -- under both the old FO and the new. but this is a special circumstance -- it's his dad! i'd give up just about any job to work in baseball with my dad. and i hate my dad.

if you've got evidence, share it. even a published article that's just a rumor. go ahead, search. but there isn't one. you've made it all up in your head. same for dozier. same for bell.

you've also suggested conspiracy theories where kendrick and moorad are still calling the shots, and byrnes is but a pawn. that's idiotic. when a team has a meddlesome owner, that ends up in the papers. look at baltimore, the yankees, the red sox -- all of their owners get shit in the press for meddling. if there was a grain of truth to your wacky theory, you'd have articles to post to back you up. but there aren't any. nada. zip. this is josh byrnes' team, and he's made incredible improvements to it. if there was any hidden conspiracy to run out dozier or thom or anything, well, it'd be in the papers. so your weird little theory is full of it. sorry.

also: the "all-time" notations really don't mean shit... and you know it. the all time voice of the dbacks? the all time prez? this team is 9 years old. it's an infant. once upon a time, travis lee was the all-time 1bman of the dbacks. andy benes was the all time ace. things change. they improve.

They decreased the family theme at the ballpark by building a luxury bar in deep right field.

we have a cuddly cat as our mascot, we play games on the jumbotron for kids, and we have hotdog races for them. it's kid friendly enough. IMHO, it's too kid friendly. again, i really don't give a damn about this move.

and if being near a bar is too much for those sensitive kiddies, then how do they even walk past the sliders girls to get into the park?

They completely went against their youth direction by re-acquiring former Diamondback Randy Johnson.

no, they got a 2 year stopgap pitcher with a chance to be a front of the rotation starter. we don't have that among the kids, not close to the show at least. he doesn't block anyone, doesn't kill the budget, and makes the team better. also: ever hear of a "happy medium"? you very rarely have success going 100% in any single direction. you gotta find the right balance.

They completely went against their financial/deferral payment direction by re-acquiring former Diamondback Randy Johnson, signing him for two years, paying him at least $10 mil/year, and also deferring even more of his pay.

he's already got 40M deferred. another couple doesn't change anything, and lets us have a bigger budget to lock up the pre-arb kids this season. in this case, the damage is done. it's like coming home to find your house completely engulfed in flames. at that point, you can just flick your cigarette into the mess. it doesn't make it any worse.

They have not upheld ANY tradition or loyalty set by arguably one of the most popular men in Arizona history, former Diamondback owner, Jerry Colangelo.

i heard jerry crapped solid gold, and could shoot flame from his eyes. oh, and he was 10 feet tall. the team is still in its infancy. our traditions haven't been built yet. the new guys are adding their own traditions to the mix.

jerry crippled this franchise. he was a terrible owner when you consider the debt. and he surrounded himself with other terrible people. like joe jr. terrible, terrible talent evaluation skills. god awful.

thank god jerry is gone. thank god joe jr is gone. i don't really care much about the purple being gone, but overall i do like the red better.

and thank god they finally got a good gm.

in byrnes i trust.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa mac.... i'll have to set aside a block of time to read that...

Ok... I agree with just about all of that... thanks for taking the time to post the correct opinion... (Thats a joke....)

Last edited by qudjy1 on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, mac.

Another thing, regarding the url "dbacks.com". If you use that url, it redirects you to:

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=ari

Oh the huge manatee!
diamondbacker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be worth it. One heck of a smart reply, mac. you've echoed my exact sentiments
matt
Veteran Presence

Location: Researching my theory that a lime hat is more effective than tinfoil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing, biggerunit, we won't censor you here but I want to let you know ahead of time that if you start a bunch of threads that are just like this they will be locked. That's my position at least. If the other moderators disagree, please chime in.
Espo
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy wearing your purple jersey and watching your dvd of the 2001 team in your basement. As for me I am going to enjoy watching this young talent blossom and watch the Big Unit help to solidify a rotation that will bring NL West and world series titles back to the desert in red and black. Just remember if you get off the bandwagon now don't bother trying to jump back on when the wins start piling up.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. i haven't posted much in a while, and i intended to respond to biggerunit1 with a couple lines, but then it just kept coming. pent up urge to post. dbbp is addictive.

and matt, i'm not a mod, but i think that's a good position to take. i'm very very wary of censoring opinions that aren't in line with the normal views of this board. i'd hate to see us fall prey to a sense of group think. as such, i think it's great that BU1 wants to post here.

but if he was to continue his posting style from the mlb board (dozens of threads on the same issues), i feel that would qualify as spamming.

biggerunit, you've got a thread now to talk boycotts/colors/tradition/etc. put your posts on those topics in here, if you'd be so kind.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: