Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LF in '08?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjwheelr
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: LF in '08? Reply with quote

Any idea what we're looking at for LF in 2008? I'm hoping they don't come to an agreement with Byrnes.

But really, that's about the only position that's not currently occupied by a guy that should be with us for the next decade or so.

Will Gonzalez be ready by then?

I don't see Upton ready until 2009.

FA?

Yes...I'm bored.
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that is one reason I can see for keeping EB into '07, as well as the reasons cited by shoe in the thread directly discussing this topic: If the development of Carlos Gonzalez encounters any type of setback, there is an option for the Diamondbacks with a known quantity already under contract, and potentially extendable for '08. If Gonzalez develops as many hope (myself included), then Byrnes can be traded or released.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Actually, that is one reason I can see for keeping EB into '07, as well as the reasons cited by shoe in the thread directly discussing this topic: If the development of Carlos Gonzalez encounters any type of setback, there is an option for the Diamondbacks with a known quantity already under contract, and potentially extendable for '08. If Gonzalez develops as many hope (myself included), then Byrnes can be traded or released.

"potentially extendable"? eric byrnes will be a free agent and he isn't coming back. the dbacks won't be able to trade or to release him after 07 because the dbacks won't even be controlling his right.

plus, mark reynolds would be a fine short-term solution in lf if gonzalez isn't ready. in fact, reynolds will be a better hitter than eric byrnes in 2008... maybe even in the second half of 2007...

fwiw, mark reynolds weighted pecota for 2007(!)

.260/.325/.483 with 26 homers in 557 pa.

that's about what you would expect from eric byrnes
EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

"potentially extendable"? eric byrnes will be a free agent and he isn't coming back. the dbacks won't be able to trade or to release him after 07 because the dbacks won't even be controlling his right.

"Potentially extendable" in that he could be offered an extension during the '07 season. I doubt this will happen; and certainly don't want it to happen. Obviously, if he finishes the current contract without an extension, at the end of '07 he'll be a free agent, and not susceptible to being traded at that time.

levski wrote:

plus, mark reynolds would be a fine short-term solution in lf if gonzalez isn't ready. in fact, reynolds will be a better hitter than eric byrnes in 2008... maybe even in the second half of 2007...

fwiw, mark reynolds weighted pecota for 2007(!)

.260/.325/.483 with 26 homers in 557 pa.

that's about what you would expect from eric byrnes

No argument about Reynolds from me. For that matter, I'm already on record as favoring Hairston over Byrnes. Given the initial question of this thread, if, indeed, Upton isn't going to be major-league ready until 2009, what do the Diamondbacks do for LF in 2008 if Gonzalez isn't ready?

As has been noted elsewhere, FA LF's are readily available, and "on the cheap," for the most part. I think there's a (remote) possibility that EB could -- that's could, not (most definitely not!) should be considered by the FO for extension if, at mid-season '07, he's more or less performing to expectations, while Hairston is not, and Gonzalez is raising questions as to whether he'll be ready in '08. In that scenario, EB, while probably more (too) expensive than other FA LFers, has, on his side, being a "known quantity" who is already on the roster.

Again, this is what could happen -- NOT (most emphatically not) what I want to have happen...

Reviving a call made often at the end of my posts, until shoe's thread arguing the reverse: Eric Byrnes MUST be traded! [/Cato]
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Eric Byrnes receives an extension from AZ beyond 2007, I'll eat a pair of Shoewiz's shoes...

TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
If Eric Byrnes receives an extension from AZ beyond 2007, I'll eat a pair of Shoewiz's shoes...

That's one meal I hope you don't have to sit down to! Very Happy

"Shoewizard is my daddy AND my chef?"

Oh, I hope not! Very Happy
B. O. N. D.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car-Gon is raking in the VWL postseason. I think he'll be ready. The problem's going to come when Upton is ready. Then what?

It'll be really really hard to let go of one of Gonzalez, Upton, Young, and Quentin. Maybe one of them will come down to earth by then, but there is a possibility that they'll all be very very good.

I know there's a lot to worry about before then, but still...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use them all, maybe a 4 man outfield rotation in 2009.

Then after the 2009 season, when Young and Quentin start getting expensive, you decide who to keep and who to trade. Whatever they do, I have absolute faith in Josh Byrnes to get equal or better value in return at a position necessary to fill in order to keep the streak of consecutive divsion titles intact. Wink
tmar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we develop or acquire a strong #2/3 pitcher by the offseason between 08-9 we'll likely be trading one in on a pitcher.
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Ken Rosenthal:

Quote:
A scout writes from Venezuela:

"Just a few eye-openers here, most notably a kid with the Diamondbacks, right fielder Carlos Gonzalez. I'd never really seen much of the guy but he's impressed me here. Chance for legit power and I think he'll hit for average. Looks above-average in right field.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6384340

Nice to see Carlos is waking people up.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonzalez getting press time in the azcentral as well

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0120dbacksnb0120.html

Quote:
Promising development
Outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, one of the club's best prospects, had a strong season in the Venezuela Winter League, hitting .318 with nine home runs, tied for second in the league.

But here's the numbers that have A.J. Hinch, director of player development, most excited: 25/33 - Gonzalez's walk/strikeout ratio.

"I think he's growing up and maturing, hopefully," Hinch said. "A lot of times you learn that stuff from having success. You just walk a couple of times in critical situations, and then it kind of clicks for you."

Gonzalez split time between Class A and Double-A last year.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Piecoro's news pieces are head and shoulders above the rest. He knows the questions to ask and what to listen for. Have you ever heard another writer talk about k/w for hitters.

I know he is quoting Hinch, but somehow the topic got brought up and he understood. Actually, it is even more encouraging that mangement knows about k/w.
Dre
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Carlos Gonzalez playing mainly RF in the minors? I assume Quentin would shift to LF if Gonzalez is ready to start 2008.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats possible. Depends on who they think has the better arm, and who is the better overall defender.
qudjy1
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the comment below that article pleading for the press to demand the FO change the colors back, fire melvin, and give EB a 3-4 year deal...
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least he was right about one thing.
xjwheelr
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Carlos Gonzalez playing mainly RF in the minors? I assume Quentin would shift to LF if Gonzalez is ready to start 2008.

Let's just put it this way: If C Gon is good enought to displace Quentin in RF and Quentin, who can even play CF in pinch, has to play LF because that's all that's left...well then you have one hell of a defensive outfield.
xjwheelr
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I like the comment below that article pleading for the press to demand the FO change the colors back, fire melvin, and give EB a 3-4 year deal...

Probably az****'s padawan, that bigger unit guy.
pedrini
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth Chart
Quentin .........Young/Upton?? ........Gonzalez

Drew ...... Hudson or Reynolds

Tracy/Callaspo ....... Jackson

Montero/ Snyder

Roster position players
1 Quentin
2 Young
3 C. Conzalez
4 Tracy
5 Callaspo
6 Drew
7 Reynolds
8 Jackson
9 Montero
10 Snyder
11 Upton
12 Hudson??
13 Hairston??

Maybe there will be DH in the NL and we will be able to put one of the outfielders there...
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought C-Gon was a LF'er, but if he's able to push Q over to LF, than yeah, we have one hell of a defensive outfield. But every projection for C-Gon has said mid '08, possibly '09.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....what if he put up Lancaster like numbers in Mobile......he won't stay there long. Half season most. If a couple guys got hurt.....and they needed him, I can see him bypassing AAA....but obviously not under normal circumstances.

I think a plausible fast track for him could be a mid season promotion to Tucson, and then opening day roster 2008.

Mid/Late season callup 08 would indeed be the more normal path, and opening day 09 would not be "late".

Robert S. was the one who was telling me to compare him toMiguel Cabrera , and I have to admit, I did not see the comparison at that time....or maybe I felt Cabrera's quantum leap from A+ to AA was just too great of a jump to expect as a comparable., especially as he was a year younger than Carlos is at the comparable level.

But maybe...just maybe.....C-Gon will be the one. He has a chance to make it to the majors even faster than Chris young did.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedrini wrote:
Maybe there will be DH in the NL...

Bite your tongue!
baldmaga
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:
pedrini wrote:
Maybe there will be DH in the NL...

Bite your tongue!

That would hurt.
ibcrackin2
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Carlos Gonzolez there in 08, after a full season of AAA this year.

I for some reason see Upton getting moved to third, and Tracy getting traded in the future if he does not improve his defense this year, that is just my opinion and I have nothing to back it up. Just seems comman sense.

I Tracy shows signs of developing beyond his current ability, I am unsure where they are going to develop Upton to play.....but with him being a naturla SS and now playing outfield his options are open, he could easily tranistion to 3B or 2B if one of those spots opens up.

It is nice to be flush with talent, helps with injuries too. I remember an 18 year old Gary Sheffield getting his shot when Dale Svuemn went down with an injury and never looked back.

Drew seems to being doing the same thing, who might are next surprise be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: