Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Arizona claims OF Romero off waivers from Twins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Arizona claims OF Romero off waivers from Twins Reply with quote

Associated Press tonight wrote:
PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks claimed Alex Romero off waivers from the Minnesota Twins on Friday.

The 23-year-old outfielder split time last season between Triple-A Rochester and Double-A New Britain. He hit .263 with 19 doubles, four triples, five homers andd 42 RBIs in 119 games overall for the two minor league clubs.

Romero has hit .293 in five seasons in the Twins' farm system.

The addition of Romero leaves 39 players on Arizona's 40-man roster. He will report to spring training with the major league club. The Diamondbacks' first full-squad spring training workout is scheduled for Feb. 22 in Tucson.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld's take:
An utterly ridiculous move by the Twins. We just can't imagine how GM Terry Ryan thought 32-year-old third catcher Chris Heintz was a more valuable property than Romero, a 23-year-old switch-hitter who should at least develop into a valuable bench player. He wasn't any good in Triple-A last year, but he did hit .281/.384/.461 in 167 at-bats as a 22-year-old in Double-A. The Diamondbacks just found themselves a minimum-salaried replacement for Jeff DaVanon in 2008. Jan. 19 - 9:01 pm et
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, TAP, you're quick. I was just coming here to post that...

more AAA depth. Oden will be happy--another twin on board...

me, I don't get bothered unless it's an Olsen twin Wink
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Rotoworld's take:
The Diamondbacks just found themselves a minimum-salaried replacement for Jeff DaVanon in 2008. Jan. 19 - 9:01 pm et

Damn, I was just about to write this after I looked at Romero's PECOTA card

Another smart move by Josh Byrnes. It's so nice to have a GM not named #### Jr. running the team...
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
It's so nice to have a GM not named #### Jr. running the team...

Jooe? Wink
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
levski wrote:
It's so nice to have a GM not named #### Jr. running the team...

Jooe? Wink

Ace-in-the-hole
allstar
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Nice... I love what this team is doing.
Carlos Gonzalez, Chris Young, Carlos Quentin, Justin Upton, Scott Hairston, and Alex Romero. Good young fielders.
Otacon
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey look, the D-backs can trade Eric Byrnes and not worry about DaVanon not being ready by spring training. Twisted Evil
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Reply with quote

allstar wrote:
Nice... I love what this team is doing.
Carlos Gonzalez, Chris Young, Carlos Quentin, Justin Upton, Scott Hairston, and Alex Romero. Good young fielders.

no love for dee brown? geez...
allstar
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Oh yeah Reply with quote

Dee Brown, definitely. Sorry levski, I forgot about that name. How could I forget the 30 year old stud... Razz
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about Romero, but I like picking players from good organizations like the Twins. His minor league record is nothing to rave about, but if it were, the Twins would not have cut him. I like these types of moves. I also like his k/w. He steals bases, but not very effectively-lots of cs's.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Alex-Romero.shtml

Out of curiousity, I looked up some young players the Dbacks let go last year and their stats for last year.

Mike Gosling age: 25 118 ip 100k 53 w at Louisville

Josh Kroeger age: 24 441 ab's 231/270/370 at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

Koyie Hill age 27 70 ab's 143/197/214 at Columbus
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we need to add Uggla to Stu's list. Sad

Romero is still very young, and while he doesn't have eye popping numbers, he was very solid in 2005....age for level and all that. Who knows why he struggled so much when promoted to AAA. Obviously the Twins saw something that couldn't be fixed, or just found themselves in a roster crunch.

We'll see.
stu
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed that everyone knew about Uggla, but not about those 3.
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we didn't really "let go" of Uggla. He was snatched up in the rule 5 but we didn't protect him on the 40 man. I read somewhere that it was a foul up due to an anticipated trade that fizzled.

Semantics I guess.
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Q&A Josh said something about they even inquired about rule fiving their own player...which I didn't understand what he meant by that.

But yeah....when the trade they had fell through, they scrambled and tried to find a solution. Hindsight is 20-20....but I had questioned on the old AZ Central board why there were so many relievers on the 40 man heading into last season, especially Schulz. I had never seen him pitch at that point, so I didn't understand it. Tall guy....probably inconsistent mechanics. Lights out one appearance, sucks the next. So numbers don't look like much. But when he is on, he is very impressive and looks dominating. Definitely a scouts move there.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Yankees trade, the Diamondbacks had a couple of open spots on their roster, and obviously things were still up in the air as to how they would be filled. Some time went by, and nothing happenned to change their 40 man roster. The Diamondbacks were in a sort of unusual position with a 40 man roster spot to fill, and it looks like it was just a matter of fortunate timing that they had a spot for this guy. Maybe another player will fall into the Diamondbacks' lap soon. It seems to me that this guy the Diamondbacks picked up from the Twins for nothing is at least as promising as either of the two the lower-level players recently sent to the Yankees in the Randy Johnson trade.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JByrnes was wondering if he could pick up Uggla in the rule 5 and put him on AZ's 40 man roster... the Marlins took him before the Dbacks' turn came up so it was a moot point...

Also, it appears the Dbacks envision Callaspo getting time in the OF as well

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0120dbacksnb0120.html

Quote:
New role?
Rookie Alberto Callaspo might do more than back up infield positions. The team has talked to him about seeing time in the outfield, General Manager Josh Byrnes said.

"On a team where you could argue the more typical concern is no true cleanup guy, the credible concern is that we handle tough, right-handed pitching well enough," Byrnes said.

Callaspo could help. Last season in Triple-A, the switch-hitter hit .354 (125 for 353) against right-handers.

Byrnes said he could envision a scenario in which outfielder Jeff DaVanon, first baseman Tony Clark and Callaspo are in the lineup together against a right-hander.

Callaspo, a natural second baseman, has played only one game in the outfield as a pro.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Nick Piecoro wrote:
Byrnes said he could envision a scenario in which outfielder Jeff DaVanon, first baseman Tony Clark and Callaspo are in the lineup together against a right-hander.

Don't put an alcoholic to work in a liquor store and don't give Bob Melvin too many opportunities to play the ProvenVeteran™ card.

I have nothing but tremendous respect for Tony Clark, but when you consider that the majority of major league pitchers are right-handed, this doesn't bode well for Conor Jackson's continued development.
Tucson DBacks Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tony Clark's playing time will depend a lot on whether he comes back this year more like the 2005 Tony Clark or more like the 2006 Tony Clark. If he can regain his 2005 form, the Diamondbacks could really use his pop in their lineup. I don't think he has enough physical stamina to play fulltime, and I have no doubts Connor Jackson will get a lot of starts. Your point about Melvin, though, is well taken. It's a good thing the Diamondbacks didn't resign Easley for that very reason. Twisted Evil
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor Jackson vs. RHP in 2007

.288/.362/.446

Tony Clark vs. RHP in 2007

.213/.280/.417

OK, Clark was hurt in 2007, and his sample size is really small. If you look at his 3 year splits, 2004-2006, vs. RHP he is

.260/.329/.575

But the chances of him putting up that kind of line in 2007 are very very remote. His bat speed was just terrible, even early in the year before he hurt his shoulder. No way he generates a .575 slugging vs. righties

If Clark does not smoke the ball in spring training, or right out of the gate in April, they need to release him and bring up Carter to be the lefty off the bench.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Conor Jackson vs. RHP in2007

.288/.362/.446

Tony Clark vs. RHP in 2007

.213/.280/.417

OK, Clark was hurt in 2007, and his sample size is really small.

How much do you charge for the Pecota Tarot card readings, shoewiz?
foulpole
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
I think JByrnes was wondering if he could pick up Uggla in the rule 5 and put him on AZ's 40 man roster... the Marlins took him before the Dbacks' turn came up so it was a moot point...

Also, it appears the Dbacks envision Callaspo getting time in the OF as well

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0120dbacksnb0120.html

Quote:
New role?
Rookie Alberto Callaspo might do more than back up infield positions. The team has talked to him about seeing time in the outfield, General Manager Josh Byrnes said.

"On a team where you could argue the more typical concern is no true cleanup guy, the credible concern is that we handle tough, right-handed pitching well enough," Byrnes said.

Callaspo could help. Last season in Triple-A, the switch-hitter hit .354 (125 for 353) against right-handers.

Callaspo, a natural second baseman, has played only one game in the outfield as a pro.

Does this remind you of Cuba, Lev? Wink

Last edited by foulpole on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
shoewizard
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap!!

I think I'll leave my post unedited so everyone can laugh at me.
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:

Does this remind you of Cuba, Lev? Wink

Show me the money?!

Even though I'm not sure what JB's concern is: that the team handles or doesn't handle right handed pitching well?
levski
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Oh crap!!

I think I'll leave my post unedited so everyone can laugh at me.

well, you have no choice, buster. you can't edit MY post, you know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: