Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
D-Backs vying for 2011 All-Star game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncdbackfan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the weather in Arizona in July so I'll refrain from that discussion. But, it's about damn time for the D-Backs to get an ASG.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz, I think you should read the whole thread. I got Shoe's joke, but was merely making the point that the weather is bad enough to kill if there isn't shelter. Not that I cared, it's just that I went out of my way to explain that I was merely showing that the weather is pretty harsh. Secondly, I never said it would hurt our winter tourism industry, but that we certainly wouldn't establish any sort of positive legacy of a great ASG. As for my "right" to bitch, you spend the first 18 yrs of your life doing something, it's a tough habit to break. And anybody here against their will has every right to bitch.

As for this feeling that somehow we should've had an ASG by now, I'd say once it gets past 30 yrs, then we can start saying it's about time. Shit, the Yankees haven't had it since the '70's.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
I'd say once it gets past 30 yrs, then we can start saying it's about time. Shit, the Yankees haven't had it since the '70's.

Since is the operative word. Yankee Stadium's 4th hosting of the All-Star Game in 2008 will be the most of any team/stadium in baseball. Arizona, Tampa Bay, and Florida are the only baseball teams not to have yet hosted the annual festivity, and Florida had been awarded the 2000 game but had it taken away after their firesale. Miller Park, Comerica Park, PNC Park and AT&T Park are all newer stadiums than Chase Field and all were given All-Star Games ahead of Arizona.

It is about time.
Driaz
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, twice I've responded on serious baseball discussions, and twice I've been told to re-read the thread. It's unanimous, I have a reading comprehension problem. I was just imagining shit that wasn't there.

Howdy Dirtygary!

Are you now denying being against an all-star game in Phoenix, for a variety of reasons that you stated for being against it????
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have a problem with the mid-summer classic occurring in a dome. If I wasn't a D-Backs fan, I'd be pissed that the ASG was in PHX when it coulda been somewhere that is more ... traditional.
Quote:
Since is the operative word. Yankee Stadium's 4th hosting of the All-Star Game in 2008 will be the most of any team/stadium in baseball. Arizona, Tampa Bay, and Florida are the only baseball teams not to have yet hosted the annual festivity, and Florida had been awarded the 2000 game but had it taken away after their firesale. Miller Park, Comerica Park, PNC Park and AT&T Park are all newer stadiums than Chase Field and all were given All-Star Games ahead of Arizona.

It is about time.

I disagree. You're talking about 3 expansion teams. I don't think expansion teams should get to cut in line, and should almost be forced to wait their turn, unless it serves baseball's interest. Kinda like the NFL with the Super Bowl. Also, other teams getting the ASG based on the newness of their park is mentioned. That kind of goes along with serving baseball's interests, but shouldn't be a determining factor. It should just be assumed that each city gets to host about once every 30 yrs, and we have 20 to go.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
I guess I have a problem with the mid-summer classic occurring in a dome. If I wasn't a D-Backs fan, I'd be pissed that the ASG was in PHX when it coulda been somewhere that is more ... traditional.
Quote:

It is about time.

I disagree. You're talking about 3 expansion teams. I don't think expansion teams should get to cut in line, and should almost be forced to wait their turn, unless it serves baseball's interest. Kinda like the NFL with the Super Bowl. Also, other teams getting the ASG based on the newness of their park is mentioned. That kind of goes along with serving baseball's interests, but shouldn't be a determining factor. It should just be assumed that each city gets to host about once every 30 yrs, and we have 20 to go.

The Yankees, your earlier example, hosted the 7th All-Star game. Can you name one franchise that has waited 30 years before hosting an ASG?
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many teams were there back then, 8? Maybe we would have gotten an ASG sooner in a different era, but the ASG was a good carrot to put at the end of the stick to get new facilities for many teams.

Quote:
Can you name one franchise that has waited 30 years before hosting an ASG?

I think it's obvious we have a better research department here than what I can provide. But I'll start looking. Just for you.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
How many teams were there back then, 8? Maybe we would have gotten an ASG sooner in a different era, but the ASG was a good carrot to put at the end of the stick to get new facilities for many teams.

Quote:
Can you name one franchise that has waited 30 years before hosting an ASG?

I think it's obvious we have a better research department here than what I can provide. But I'll start looking. Just for you.

You'll find the answer to my question hovers somewhere around zero.

In answer to your question, there were 16 MLB teams in 1939 when the Yankees hosted the 7th annual ASG. There are now 30 teams. All but 3 of those 30 teams have previously hosted an ASG.
SalMaglie
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much Colangelo's wild spending had to do with the Diamondbacks not getting the All Star game? I know there was some discussion about this back around 2001 or 2002. There was some resentment amongst the fans and owners of other teams at the time, especially the traditionalists who thought that expansion teams should have to toil for years in obscurity before winning titles.

Now that the team is under new ownership with a more practical approach to spending, maybe Selig and Company have a softer view about giving Phoenix the All Star game?

As for the heat...most attendees will go from the air conditioned airport to their air conditioned rental car to their air conditioned hotel, and then to the air conditioned ballpark. The downside is they won't be able to get in 18 holes unless they get a 0 dawn thirty tee time. And I think well heeled baseball fans already know the best time to visit Arizona is during spring training, when the weather is about perfect out here.

But it's kind a funny to me that everyone is b*&ching about the heat in this thread when, at least down here in Tucson, we've been battling broken water pipes from sub freezing temps the last few days. Personally, I'm not one to complain about the heat, but then my sinuses suffer at anything below 80 degrees. And I was born in Bakersfield, Calif in August so I might just be predisposed to liking it hot.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're onto something there. There was a lot of resentment throughout the league.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
In answer to your question, there were 16 MLB teams in 1939 when the Yankees hosted the 7th annual ASG. There are now 30 teams. All but 3 of those 30 teams have previously hosted an ASG.

So the Marlins should really be bitching.

Also, there were two ASG's played from '59-'62, one in an AL and 1 in an NL park. No ASG in '61.
TAP
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
TAP wrote:

So the Marlins should really be bitching.

Florida had been awarded the 2000 game but had it taken away after their firesale.
dirtygary
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should get it before us just because they were around before us. I'll be pissed if TB gets it before us, but I ain't cryin about it til then. They should definitely try to tie that in towards getting a park for the Marlins, though.

Also, when looking at the host cities for the ASG, I noticed a previous trend that replicated itself. In the '70's you had a string of ASG's at the new parks in Cin, Phil, Pit, StL, etc., where the "new" multi-use parks were. We've had a repeat of awarding ASG's to new parks the last 12 yrs or so. As soon as that stretch is over, the ASG distribution should be more equitable.
Counsell
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Minnesota, but have lived in PHX for 25 years.

I totally agree that natives here don't realize how good they have it here. The heat or the cold - they're both bad (it's a wash), but then there's also the SNOW, and the SLUSH, and months on end with nothing to do outside. It's not even close. It's MUCH nicer here and it's not remotely close.

That said, people totally unaccustomed to the heat will come here for a few days in July and won't know how to adapt. They won't drink enough water, they'll be outside in the mid-day sun, etc. etc. They will be miserable and some will faint. And they will say - never to go Phoenix during the summer.

It's very bad P.R. - the very same type of bad P.R. Minneapolis got by hosting the Super Bowl in the middle of the winter a few years ago.

We shouldn't even try to host an All Star Game. It's like a girl with no chest wearing a low cut dress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: